Bluecoats Spring Training

I had the opportunity to attend last night's full ensemble rehearsal at Dennison University (near Columbus, OH). Rehearsal ran from 7:30 PM to around 10:00 PM or so, and even though it was my first real drum corps "fix" of t he summer, I cannot begin to tell you how excited I am for this corps and for the fans who will experience this show.

The Bluecoats' spring training facility at Dennison is incredible, as good as anyone can imagine, and I encourage those of you within driving range to head over and enjoy the sights and sounds. I have to be down there for a BOD meeting on the June 14th, and that would be a great day for people to come in to see this summer's production of "Knockout." If you head out on the 14th, or any day, full ensemble is usually in the evening, and on June 14th I believe they will perform in full uniform (maybe 6:30 or 7:00 PM).

The show this year, as many have guessed, takes a look at boxing and the bravery behind the sport, but it also takes a look at the human spirit to stand up and fight for what he believes in. Boxing, and the human desire to succeed and triumph, are blended together in a manner that will not ask the audience to over-think or examine the content more than what is necessary, yet the effect of this show is going to be stellar.

I know I am a homer, being closely associated with the corps (but I never marched and I have enjoyed many corps over the years), so take this short review as you wish.

The show opens with Bernstein's amazing music to "On The Waterfront." Many will remember that Cadets performed this great music in 1986, and for those of you that grew up on corps in the 80s, as I did, this will bring back memories, and you will also be quite impressed with the Bluecoats' unique interpretation of this music. Very powerful, fast paced, and it sets the stage for the boxing match. The pre-show is very cool and will feature some effects that lead up to the intro and round 1 of the fight in very exciting fashion.

The ballad of the show is a combination of two ideas. The first comes from Bernstein's "On The Waterfront" music. Again, this will be very familiar to older fans and it is so beautifully performed, even now. This theme seems to set up the boxer's yearning for more and his need look inward as he tries to focus on succeeding. But the music also gives us Paul Simon's "The Boxer" after the Bernstein, and here we sense an even greater need within all of us to develop the fighting spirit within us. This will make sense to you when you listen because of the way this music has been scored, with hymn-like chorale passages, and a full-brass block shout (parked on the front side line) that will blow you into the row behind you and will leave chills going down your spine. Afterwards the brass sing, in 4-part choir voicing (not amplified), the final phrase and "THE MOMENT" this creates is one that will have fans remembering this show and the Bluecoats for a long time.

Round 4 features music from the motion picture "Rocky," music by Bill Conti. This was such a thrill for me to hear Doug Thrower's arrangements, as well as the percussion guys, and how well they convey the spirit of the fighter. The music is riveting and tuneful, and also incredibly hard in this segment as the Bluecoats just ooze technique and virtuoso-like demand. And the final round just cements this triumphant spirit with more music from "Rocky" and the chilling fanfares and themes that Conti so masterfully wrote for the motion picture.

In my opinion, and I wouldn't say this if I wasn't thinking along these lines, this is likely my favorite musical book from the Bluecoats...ever. And there have been MANY good books from these guys. 1987, 88, 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95, 96, 2001, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07 (yes, I like them all). Perhaps this book stands out to me for its seamless integration of music thought and its constant use of melodically-driven content. Perhaps it's the appeal of the popular music mixed with some Bernstein, but entertaining is what it is.

The horns and drums seem to be on par with where they were last year (which is quite good). The guard is far ahead, and the corps has already completed the drill to 4 of it's 5 segments of the show (as of May 31). Certainly there will be some visual and musical aspects of the show rewritten and reworked, some tweaks here and there, as well as constantly honing the theatrical aspects of the show. But WOW, I was a happy camper last night. Yes, it was my first "fix" for the summer, and you all know how that feels. All I have to say is, "Fans, get ready, because BLOOO is on the way, and you WILL be entertained." (At least I hope so).

JW

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is going to be some narration and some effects. Yes. And I think folks will be quite pleased with how it's used and it's effectiveness to the show. I thought they did a nice job of this last year as well.

I was surprised as to how late they started spring training. Regardless, they are definitely going to be great this year.

This show is probably #1 on my "must see" list for the year so far. I was blown away with them last year, thought they had the best hornline and drumline at finals, and was just very entertained by their program. Looking forward to seeing them this year. Thanks for posting!

They started Spring Training on May 19. What's late about that? Earlier than many of the corps.

17th actually... earlier than every corps.... 5 weeks of everydays!!! YIKES! sooorta glad I aged out haha. I thought 3 and half weeks last year was brutal.

Edited by baristeve

17th actually... earlier than every corps.... 5 weeks of everydays!!! YIKES! sooorta glad I aged out haha. I thought 3 and half weeks last year was brutal.

Actually the Blue Devils horn line moved in on the 16th :tongue: haha. Can't wait to see the 08 Bluecoats!!

I have to remind myself that I marched about 15 years ago ... we had "Hell WEEK" in my three years -- not 3.5 weeks -- 5 weeks ... OUCH!!

When did that change occur?? I know it was years ago, but I don't remember when. I just remember suddenly going "Holy Crap!"

Of course, I think they have about 25 shows this summer, while we had 35 or 36 all three years I marched.

Edited by BlueR36