it's got a beat.

you can dance to it.

:tongue:

*and that feeling of deja vu too!*

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as 2006, everyone that was there deserves a medal. Some bigger than others. But what really gets me is that soooooo many are OKAY with the fact that the media (business / media / guns for hire) didn't happen. Okay with it and forgiving. Even though it could happen again. This year, next year, and every year till the end of time. It's okay, don't worry be happy. I just don't get that. As performers we strive to be the best we can. And apparently 60% is good enough by todays standard. Is that how schools grade now? 60% is the new C+? It just doesn't seem acceptable to me. Just one of those if Carlos Mencia did DCA OMG type moments.

The fact that DCA even had a Prelims in 2006 gets an A+. Any other organization, including every sport save football (maybe) would have cancelled the evening. The fact that DCA didn't -- because many of us had travelled thousands of miles to perform -- speaks a lot to DCA's dedication to the activity.

You can't simply look at DCA 2006 as inclement weather or an inconvenience. It was the horrible but perfect storm, and it should have, by all rights, wiped DCA Prelims off the map.

Thankfully, the show went on somehow.

Peace! Love! Thanks to one and all for tolerance! I feel the vibes!

Tryin' to spread goodwill. If I rant, I might shut down this thread, as I have others in the past by stating my thoughts, especially about the rights of freedom of speech whether as a civilian or in uniform.

From the anti-establishment scribe, former 70s hippie....

Why was the following Post so bad. I posted it at 10:18 am today. Someone please explain why it is not showing?

"I agree with you two (Tom and Bunny). Just finding bad things is getting old. Try and explain slow steady growth to someone who wants it all at once is hard for us old timers. Some how I find it hard to believe that going 500 miles or less is not better than going 1000 miles or Not Going At All.

I am sorry that many areas of the US and Canada let most if not all of your Corps die off. I am NOT sorry the North EAST kept theirs going. Specialy Sr/All Age. Which is why we have More Contests. But, contrary to the way some of the Newer less informed think. It is not all that much cheaper to run a Corps.

Like I have said in almost ALL of my posts. Progress is being made. Corps like Minn. Brass in Centeral, and CorpsVets in the South. Now also by Corps like Music City as well. Reading and Hurks Going to Virginia. E. Statesmen going to Ohio. Renegades going to Winston Salem, NC (along with CT Hurks). All the new groups making more Connections. Like Masquarade in Baton Rouge, LA and Prairie Sound on Olatha, Kansas will be coming soon to a show near you. Maybe not this year but soon. Groups that are connecting Regions. Lets hope Cincinnati Tradition keeps things on the up swing. Good Connection for Centeral and South also. How about High Country Brass. Maybe one day Denver might be a big show connecting Calif (DCA West/Pacific) to DCA SouthWest .

Give things time to work out

It is showing. It was at 10:08

So much to say, so little time and I only type so fast....

At risk of being accused of talking without permission, one idea (to aid corps development) we have kicked around down South and even around the bar...err... breakfast bar at some DCA meetings is a roundtable, seminar, or whatever you want to call it, at regional meetings or even a Rules Congress. Topic? Building, Growing and Preserving Your All-Age Drum Corps. How easy would it be to fill that agenda for a day?

New guys, you really can learn things which will help your corps by building bridges with those who have already done it. Old guys, you really can learn things which will help your corps by listening to the new guys. Most of us wear shoes and are pretty smart. We may have faced problems you don't see coming or have fresh approaches to old problems.

The point here is the "other" corps is rarely your enemy. We're all in this together. We've got to talk to each other, listen to each other and learn from each other to grow the activity. The trickle down effect will help all corps.

Edited by 00Sop

We are now in our 5th year, we own a full line of horns, battery equipment, and now a 30 ft. trailer. Our budget this year includes the purchase of pit equipment. All has been done without any financing, but with a lot of blood, sweat, and tears.

We, just like every other corps out there, struggle with fundraising. It's not easy at all. But, we are fortunate to have board members who devise a budget and we do our best to stick to it. I am very proud to be a part of this corps.

Drum corps is fun. Drum corps without debt is "funner." :tongue:

Edited by 00Sop

Good to hear from Scott. There's a guy who has "walked the walk."

In reference to Scott's "we're all in this together" reminder, I must tell you, the DCA management I know is very much in agreement.

Having been closely involved in the 1987 and 2006 DCA Championship weather events, my highest regards go to both presidents forced to act. The late Mickey Petrone, and now Gil Silva both labored over what is best for their entire organization, NOT just for the voting members, the bigger corps, etc. They carefully analyzed what was presented to them, looked at the situation from the perspective of MOST participants and fans, then made the choices that were made. Each knowing full well, a segment will be unhappy, but MOST will understand those choices were necessary.

Isn't that about all we can ask?

DCI is now in a similar, difficult situation. Whatever DCI decides to do WILL cause a problem for some. Hopefully, MOST DCI fans will get through this championship OK, knowing the organization made the very best call it could.

Moan and groan for years to come over such troublesome championships (I still do), but please, DON'T attack. It serves no purpose as we hope to move forward.

So much to say, so little time and I only type so fast....

At risk of being accused of talking without permission, one idea (to aid corps development) we have kicked around down South and even around the bar...err... breakfast bar at some DCA meetings is a roundtable, seminar, or whatever you want to call it, at regional meetings or even a Rules Congress. Topic? Building, Growing and Preserving Your All-Age Drum Corps. How easy would it be to fill that agenda for a day?

New guys, you really can learn things which will help your corps by building bridges with those who have already done it. Old guys, you really can learn things which will help your corps by listening to the new guys. Most of us wear shoes and are pretty smart. We may have faced problems you don't see coming or have fresh approaches to old problems.

The point here is the "other" corps is rarely your enemy. We're all in this together. We've got to talk to each other, listen to each other and learn from each other to grow the activity. The trickle down effect will help all corps.

'oosop

Good response. I am about as old style as you can get. BUT, when change NEEDS to be made. "Talking" and "Listening" is the way to go. "Discuss" come up with a "Salution" that can work for the "Long Term". Not just Change for the sake of Change.

I have been saying for OVER a year. That DCA should add at least one more Class A group to Finals night. If for no other reason, it would put some pressure on the third place group to Stay third or move up. But to be honest. I think the 4 Class A groups will get some REAL insentive to get in front of a Big Crowd and show their stuff. Maybe even Grow in an Open Group if that is the Direction they wish to go.

I do also understand how some groups "Need to" and some groups "Want to" stay small. For all the reasons many have said here. It can be the right move to stay put. (Be Big Fish in Small Pond, year after year.)

I like the Diversity of DCA, more so than the "Other" organization out there. I can go get a hot dog or go to the bath room when one of the "Other" type units are on. (Although I will say at DCA Championships I try to see ALL the units. Even in the Rain and Wind of a Hurricane like happened. Yes, I was one, still there, in the Stands from Start to Finnish!)

"Grow The Regions"

Good Luck to ALL.

Edited by Vagabond Skyliner

Not really applicable to all. It works for you. But bear in mind that you have Blue Devils, Vanguard, Freelancers, Mandarins, Valley Fever, and many other corps legacy to draw upon. Us out here in gods country have maybe a shriners corps that was active sometime in the past decade and maybe within 100 miles of us. Not quite the same. Mere existence is not enough to motivate complete strangers to run out and buy a Contra($12K), and march with us ($1K), for forty or more years ($40K). While many of us have local family members (mom, dad, sister, brother, son, daughter, cousin, niece, nephew), even if we include them all we may still come up short. Bear in mind that the 35 minimum DOES NOT include honor guard, drum majors, and support staff.

I am so tempted to hire a church congregation(200+) to stand at attention for our honor guard once we finally do meet the 35 minimum to bring the point home. 235+ members on the field in uniform. And still barely meeting the 35 minimum. Just how rediculous does one have to get, as I check the Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders schedule for labor day....

If DCI hasn't told you not to touch high schools for members, go recruit them! Texas has a load of music and marching talent to share amongst Revo, Xmen, Frontier, you, and probably another 3 corps if they decide to show up. Plant a seed crystal in a super-saturated solution and grow the area.

And if money is an issue, get out and do local gigs. Music festivals, county fairs, jazz festivals, work concessions, march parades. You can make those trips worth your money and time. And it's a win/win in the end. Getting out in the area also helps get new members interested. Be proactive in the search and not reactive.

I doubt DCI has told us, or that we'd listen if they would. But corps policy is such that individuals that are not adults in the eyes of the law are excluded. With the standard loopholes of course for guardians and sponsors. Not my call as I don't write the rules. Not that it'd be different if I did.

Local gigs are an option. We have one this Saturday. But local gigs are also a problem. Since it's almost possible to make a living as a musician in this town, any drummers with chops are working and are therefor NOT doing drumcorps. No amount of recruitment is gonna change that.

As far as the 35 rule. I just don't see it doing what it is/was intended to do? Sure there's more corps this year. But what happens when Class A attendance goes +/- 10 corps between seasons because of the rule? When long time staples of DCA are excluded from DCA? And do we have more Open Class corps now than when the rule went into effect? Not that it wont win out in the long run. But for us corps on the fence in terms of numbers. We've got to make some hard choices. Now not only is it we may or may not go to DCA if we raise X amount by Date X. We've also got to throw in AND if we can grow by two marching members, and not loose three in the process.

This season we have a guard. It accounts for 50% or more of our corps. Therefor we do drill. Because if we didn't we probably wouldn't have our guard and 50% of our corps. But this year the 35 rule keeps us out of DCA. And it may do it again next year, and every year there after. We could be the best corps ever known to man. But the DCA championships wont be seeing us anytime soon. Your loss and your rule.