How to encourage the development of Open Class Corps

So suggesting that DCA organize some sort of group buy is being negative? If we were to depend solely upon the DCP Marketplace for our equipment acquisitions it'd take about a decade until we had enough used horns to field an Open Class sized hornline. Even with the marketplace, when a corps sells a line of horns, I often get out bid by a HS or other non-drumcorps entity buying the entire section(s) of horns. DCI has the friends of DCI thing to help acquire horns for any startups there. Why not at least try something similar? Keep corps horns in the hands of corps. Which would be less of a problem if we still used G bugles.

I support this activity as much as I can. I've got one Contra ($2,500), two Euphs ($650)/($1,835), and one Trumpet ($900) in use by my current corps. I'm even using a professional field recorder ($1,200) with pro grade mics ($550) to record us during practices and performances. And sponsored a member for the Kilties ($300) this season. Paid money towards HCB($20) and even the Sun Devils uniform fund ($20). I'm participating with my local corps ($350). I've even gone out of town to record some of the other semi-local Texas corps($40 gas). Am I happy about having over $8.000 of my dollars tied up in drumcorps at the moment. Of course not, I can think of soo many other ME things to use that money on. Like paying off my car, going to the 2008 Freelancers reunion, and maybe even checking out the DCI world championships this year. But to imply that I'm nothing but negative is to miss the big picture. Without me drumcorps in this local region would be diminished. Without others like me across the board, drumcorps may not even exist in this day and age.

I feel ya on the monitary investment thing. I was lucky on getting bugles at a really good price initially and sunk some bucks into a drum battery along with a couple other people but bought the brand new carriers myself and the Color Guard Flags and poles myself. With the economy squeezing us out here we will go to fundraising and try for some local corporate sponsorship to help us through 2009.

I've been playing with the idea of collecting some bugles and using them to start up more groups in Kansas, Nebraska and Missouri on a contract loan out, cheap rental contract or rent to own basis.

If each region had a "Drum Corps" Foundation to help all new corps not just Junior Corps, it would be a lot less painful to start a new corps from nothing. As soon as the new Corps got on it's feet it could return the loaned out equipment back to the foundation for reissue.

Edited by Kansan

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've said this one before, still think its a good idea. Join with another corp to put a joint production on the field. Have one weekend camp a month, weekly practices at home. Hasn't Yamato done that between Japan and California? If they can pull that off, anything is possible. I think it would be an interesting experiment to try for one year. It gets you on the field and it could jump start both organizations. With the instant communication now and your audio/visual recording equipment, heck with cell phones, you could monitor each other, suggest changes etc. Of course, the egos would have to be in check and a spirit of compromise would be necessary to make it work. Imagine going to a camp weekend, seeing & hearing your corps doubled in size. That would be cool.

Edited by Mike_B

I could see where that would work with Jr. Corps, where you have a tour to tie everything together. I can see where that would work with an alumni corps where there's minimal if any drill. And it might work to a limited extent with all-age corps. But down here where all of the A sized corps ARE the SHOW. It would be difficult to justify a 15 minute home show of one super corps, versus a 45 minute home show of 3 (or 4) micro corps. As it is our home shows are supplimented by at least 50% non-DCA corps. And many times by local bands as well, and we're not talking marching bands. Throw in all of the logistics, marching styles, keys of horns, 200 miles between everyone, and there's got to be better options. Not that it couldn't be done. But for these parts the costs would probably be to high to justify. And in some respects more costly than things are in their current configuration(s).

I guess that would keep with the topic of how to encourage MORE open class corps. Just an idea I had fun with. The only other thing I would suggest is to convey an aura of fun and light-heartedness, encourage people to want to be there, even at practice. Play entertaining and easily recognizable music. As others have said, don't try to be Santa Clara Vanguard. Good luck.

Edited by Mike_B

I guess that would keep with the topic of how to encourage MORE open class corps. Just an idea I had fun with. The only other thing I would suggest is to convey an aura of fun and light-heartedness, encourage people to want to be there, even at practice. Play entertaining and easily recognizable music. As others have said, don't try to be Santa Clara Vanguard. Good luck.

I really don't think playing recognizable music should ever be a key factor. Just keep it fun.

Unless people sitting out in the stands have listened to the small part of Blue Knights opener in 2003, practically no one in the stands will have ever heard any of our music before. However, it is an extremely fun show to play, and especially to listen to.

I think you're on the right track as far as your thought process is concerned. Only problem is that regional shows that feature lower tier competitive corps can wind up operating at loss, financially speaking. We need to find a way to get dollars that can be translated into a sort of research & development budget, funding these initial regions and shows until the activity can take hold there and support itself a little more. But, how do we do it?

I'm not sure of all the logistics that would need to be involved, which I'm sure that someone will be able to point out. Would it be possible to try and piggy back or partner with BOA or the local Music Education Association and share contests/venues with the High School kids? Just from a brain storm perspective it would be a chance to get out in front of a crowd, shop for potential members, set up a booth to sell some t-shirts and still get to compete if that is your groups focus. It would be a win-win from many perspectives; 1) getting the word out about the next level of competitive corps (without having to spend a few thousand dollars to be there), 2) building relationships with the music educators in the area, 3) exposing students to a world that they may not have known was out there (in a good way). I think the only hard part would be making sure that there were judges that could judge on that level effectively. Any thoughts, concerns, opinions?

I've said this one before, still think its a good idea. Join with another corp to put a joint production on the field. Have one weekend camp a month, weekly practices at home. Hasn't Yamato done that between Japan and California? If they can pull that off, anything is possible. I think it would be an interesting experiment to try for one year. It gets you on the field and it could jump start both organizations. With the instant communication now and your audio/visual recording equipment, heck with cell phones, you could monitor each other, suggest changes etc. Of course, the egos would have to be in check and a spirit of compromise would be necessary to make it work. Imagine going to a camp weekend, seeing & hearing your corps doubled in size. That would be cool.

I know this idea was kicked around between Govies and Chops a few years back (for the purpose of taking a corps to DCA), but despite how close the two corps are (size, fun style, John Mayer directs Govies, his older brother Mike Mayer founded Chops) it just wouldn't work. It's tough to get two different corps with two different identities to combine like that.

I know this idea was kicked around between Govies and Chops a few years back (for the purpose of taking a corps to DCA), but despite how close the two corps are (size, fun style, John Mayer directs Govies, his older brother Mike Mayer founded Chops) it just wouldn't work. It's tough to get two different corps with two different identities to combine like that.

Thats what make each group special.You refine what works for you.Start ups keep moving forward until they get to that point of putting out their own product. If necessary start over and do a better job. In the end its another unique group with their own special identity.

I really don't think playing recognizable music should ever be a key factor. Just keep it fun.

Unless people sitting out in the stands have listened to the small part of Blue Knights opener in 2003, practically no one in the stands will have ever heard any of our music before. However, it is an extremely fun show to play, and especially to listen to.

Am I missing something here? If your purpose is to have fun just for yourselves......why are you doing this? I could be way off base here ....but...I thought entertaining the (paying) fans was the ultimate goal. Maybe a little self esteem, pride, etc.etc. Look at all the hard work and expense you would save if you just stayed home. NO...?

No one ever said that you need to play recognizable music for the fans to like it.

How many people seriously know Shostakovich's music, but still love Phantom?

What about when people were loving Cavies original music, or Bush's original music in the early 90's.

And I never said it couldn't be recognizable music, I said maybe it shouldn't be a key factor.