The Official 2008 Madison Scouts Discussion Thread

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

they are running about 2-3 points ahead of last year. Have been all year.

Last year's high score was around an 82. So this year, they should hit 84-85.

Based on the past 5-6 years, it takes an 85-86 to get into finals.

The Scouts seemed to do pretty well in San Antonio when they actually competed against the other corps in their range. I have a feeling it will be the same in Atlanta. I think their scores will reflect that as well.

they are running about 2-3 points ahead of last year. Have been all year.

Last year's high score was around an 82. So this year, they should hit 84-85.

Based on the past 5-6 years, it takes an 85-86 to get into finals.

Just for grins, based on most recent scores (different shows):

GE Visual... 17th place... 1.3 points out of 12th place

GE Music... 13th place (tie)... 0.3 points out of 12th place

Visual Perf... 14th place... 0.4 points out of 12th place

Visual Ensemble... 18th place... 1.2 points out of 12th place

Colorguard... 14th place (tie)... 0.6 points out of 12th place

Brass... 15th place (tie)... 0.4 points out of 12th place

Music Ensemble... 10th place... 0.2 points ahead of 12th place

Percussion... 13th place... 0.1 points out of 12th place

Lots of small numbers here that could change pretty easily. The highest score they had in GE Visual was in El Paso, which would put them in 15th place according to current scores. Same for Visual Ensemble, which was at its highest in San Antonio.

GO SCOUTS!!!!!

Tom, I am sure that everyone here appreciates your contribution. To be honest, I was surprised how short the list of donors is given the number of alumni and the long history of the Scouts. I hope the Scouts alumni/fans will take a page from the Obama presidential campaign and begin donating in large numbers!

Vic Russell

Ditto that. I also was surprised at how few alumni had contributed - 86 according to the scorecard. Come on folks, your corps needs you!

I think everyone is getting a little too meticulous in analyzing the Scouts scores (does anyone think The Academy’s performances have changed like their score swings this week). Now that we have reached regionals phase, the only thing we are going to divulge from the weekday shows for the Scouts (or any other corps) is whether they change positions from the last regional with another corps at the same show. The Scouts need to pass the Crossmen and not be passed by anyone else below them. They have not been in a show with the Crossmen and they have not been passed in the same show by anyone who place lower than them in San Antonio.

Can us Scouts homers realistically expect them to make a push for finals if they do not show well in the ATL this weekend? I think Atlanta is HUGE for Mad-Town, and am thinking if they dont score in the 82-83 range, finals will be a reach? Whats everyones thoughts here? They have 3 weeks to gain 5-7 points in my estimation.

I will almost guarantee that they will be in that range but I don’t think scores have anything to do with their chance at finals. I am hoping for 12th or better but wouldn’t be discouraged with their chances of finals if the Atlanta results were identical to San Antonio. If the Crossmen come in 12th with a 52 and the Scouts come in 13th with a 51.55, I'll still feel pretty good about Finals. Sitting in 13th less than .5 from 12th is a pretty encouraging spot (if you're not in 12th :tongue: ).

I thought Madison didn't care about scores? I guess things change...

Scouts don’t care about scores but they care about performing before the largest audience of the year!

The score this Scouts fan wants is .1 better than 13th at semifinals.

Edited by patblamo

I think everyone is getting a little too meticulous in analyzing the Scouts scores (does anyone think The Academy’s performances have changed like their score swings this week). Now that we have reached regionals phase, the only thing we are going to divulge from the weekday shows for the Scouts (or any other corps) is whether they change positions from the last regional with another corps at the same show. The Scouts need to pass the Crossmen and not be passed by anyone else below them. They have not been in a show with the Crossmen and they have not been passed in the same show by anyone who place lower than them in San Antonio.

I will almost guarantee that they will be in that range but I don’t think scores have anything to do with their chance at finals. I am hoping for 12th or better but wouldn’t be discouraged with their chances of finals if the Atlanta results were identical to San Antonio. If the Crossmen come in 12th with a 52 and the Scouts come in 13th with a 51.55, I'll still feel pretty good about Finals. Sitting in 13th less than .5 from 12th is a pretty encouraging spot (if you're not in 12th :tongue: ).

Scouts don’t care about scores but they care about performing before the largest audience of the year!

The score this Scouts fan wants is .1 better than 13th at semifinals.

I agree. The goal is to perform on Saturday night in Bloomington. Then the next goal is to perform as late that night as possible to guarantee the stands are as filled as possible. Those are the reasons scores matter...the means to an end. Also, as someone else mentioned...it's good for the recruiting effort as well.

so i would donate, but i plan on auditioning there this fall, so i need all the money i have right now anyway....

and i really dont care about scores, if i did, i would never have marched at my high school :tongue:, i just want to see them "successful", and all i mean by that is performing as many times this season as they can (in finals). i think theyre show is awesome, looks very tough especially compared to xmen, whose entire show is random X shapes. the scouts are the only ones who are not in the top 12 currently that show actually entertains me, them and troopers. and they deserve a lot of credit for that.

after the season is over, and i wanted a compilation dvd of 12 corps shows, it would probably end up like this

1 phantom

2 scouts

3 troopers

4 bluecoats

5 bd

6 scv

7 bac

8 cavies

9 bluestars

10 crown

11 colts

12 academy

yes crown is really down in the bottom 4th

Hey....no fair being snarkier than me. You either say GO SCOUTS!!! with all 3 exclamation marks or give $100 to the Scouts. NOW!!!

I'm not kidding. I will find you.

SAY IT.

GO SCOUTS!!!

or how bout all hippy duh hoppy here

GOZ SKOUTTZZZZ!!!

Is that the going rate for getting to continue being a jerk about the corps on a Scouts discussion forum? $100?

Is that the going rate for getting to continue being a jerk about the corps on a Scouts discussion forum? $100?

That works for me! (and Tom, that doesn't mean I think you're a jerk).

I'd rather have 1000 jerks on this thread that gave $100.00 to the Scouts than having to think about the 2000 to 3000 Scout alumni that have not.

GO SCOUTS!!

Seriously though, and old bad ### corps like the Scouts? You guys should know better than to wax on about scores like this. In the end.......who gives a ####? Either you're good or your not, everyone knows that trying to judge art is a sham anyway.

The Staff and the members of the corps may not care about the scores, but the parents of members do care. And the fans care. We are the ones who financially support DCI. Without out our money by attending competitions or joining fan network, or otherwise supporting DCI, there would be no DCI. "No bucks, no Buck Rogers." Parents and fans have every right to rant and complain about the scoring, and I don't care what any of you alums say to the contrary. Us parents have contributed financially big time for this investment for our kids, and we don't like the kind of sorry ### scoring we are seeing from the judges. If the judging seemed equitable, I wouldn't mind it. But I still have not heard a reasonable explanation why one judge in San Antonio can judge the percussion in 4th place and the other judge in 11th. That's not equitable, and there is no excuse for the difference. Not one of you have come up with a reasonable or fair explanation, and I challenge you to do so, because you can't. As long as my money is going into the DCI coffers, I have an absolute right to complain about scores!! 'Nuff said.