DCI and Electronics - Comments Wanted

Hi, everyone.

I am Randy Salas, a drum corps alum (Suncoast Sound, '83 & '85) and a features editor/writer at the Minneapolis Star Tribune daily newspaper. I'm working on an article about the drum corps/electronics controversy in advance of the upcoming shows in Minnesota.

I'm looking for Twin Cities/Minnesota fans to contribute their opinions on the issue. If you want to be part of the article and live in Minnesota, please contact me at your earliest convenience at rasalas@startribune.com.

In the email, please include your comments, your full name, your age, where you live and how long you've been following the activity.

Please share this request with others if you aren't from Minnesota but have drum corps friends who are. I'd like to make sure I have all views covered.

Thanks so much -- and thanks to MikeN and DCP for allowing me to post this request.

Randy

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, everyone.

I am Randy Salas, a drum corps alum (Suncoast Sound, '83 & '85) and a features editor/writer at the Minneapolis Star Tribune daily newspaper. I'm working on an article about the drum corps/electronics controversy in advance of the upcoming shows in Minnesota.

I'm looking for Twin Cities/Minnesota fans to contribute their opinions on the issue. If you want to be part of the article and live in Minnesota, please contact me at your earliest convenience at rasalas@startribune.com.

In the email, please include your comments, your full name, your age, where you live and how long you've been following the activity.

Please share this request with others if you aren't from Minnesota but have drum corps friends who are. I'd like to make sure I have all views covered.

Thanks so much -- and thanks to MikeN and DCP for allowing me to post this request.

Randy

Sure! Why would we want to write about things like EXCELLENCE and kids achieving great things when we can write about a controversy that doesn't have anything to do with this summer's tour?

Great idea to promote the shows! Controversy! Maybe that was DCI's evil plan all along... create enough controversy that people will come out in droves to see what all of the hubbub is about.

Yeah, things would be so much better if Drum Corps is ignored like it usually is outside of the DC clique. How dare anyone present to the "outside world" that everyone isn't one big happy family in DC and agreeing with everything. (Any Ramone fans? I picked Happy Family for a reason).

And if some people wrote in that they liked electronics or could care less, would that make a difference to anyone PO'ed abou the article? Wow open discussion, whadda concept....

Or is "I'd like to make sure I have all views covered." code for being biased now a days... :big hug:

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

I don't get the idea that the OP is interested in selling anyone on going to a drum corps show. Looks like he has a biased agenda.

You could call it a "biased agenda", or you could call it a story. That's what journalists do, they tell stories. Nobody goes around telling baseball writers that they should write only about what great things are going on the field and completely ignore the steroid issue.

I don't get the idea that the OP is interested in selling anyone on going to a drum corps show. Looks like he has a biased agenda.

Yeah, "biased" toward selling more newspapers.

It's not the responsibility of the Strib to make DCI look any particular way for DCI's benefit. If a reporter has sold/is trying to sell his editor that this is a story worth writing and printing, that's nobody's "fault" except DCI's. It's not the writer's job to glorify DCI; that's DCI's job. And, if DCI hasn't exactly covered itself with glory in the eyes of the press, then DCI needs to rethink what it did to get there.

I can't believe I'm in the position of defending the media (esp the Strib). What is the world coming to? I guess I don't mind the press taking people/orgs to task, just so long as it's done equally to everyone who deserves it.

Why are some of you criticizing the paper/writer before you've even seen the article? (Assuming his editor OK's it.) From my reading of the OP, he doesn't seem to be pro- or anti-elex. It is factual that there is a controversy, and that seems to be what he's going to report. Journalists are supposed to be trained in objectivity. Let's give him the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise, hmmmmm?

Some people, who usually invoke an open-mindedness toward changes in dc - like electronics, are jumping the gun here to pronounce judgement before they even know what it is they are protesting.

Maybe that was DCI's evil plan all along... create enough controversy that people will come out in droves to see what all of the hubbub is about.

Hey, it works for the Hollywood types. "No PR is bad PR." (Uh, that's Public Relations, not Phantom Regiment.) edit: Lance, get off my wavelength.

Besides, "excellence" doesn't sell papers. If it did, there'd be a lot more positive stories in the press about all youth events, and less about deaths, trials, and scandals.

Edited by Dale Bari

Some people act here like electronics and amplification isnt controversial. Sorry folks, this is the regular media which isnt controlled by DCI. They have no obligation to put only the most positive spin on all the changes happening in Drum Corps or act as a marketing arm for this niche activity.

While the subtleties of drum corps arent always instantly comprehensible to the average joe on the street much less the long time fan, the move from a completely acoustic medium to electronified and amplified is something most people can get their minds around.

Edited by Scerpella