DCI and Electronics - Comments Wanted

Wow, everyone. That was an unexpected response.

In case you missed it, I'm one of you. I've worked many times to get coverage for drum corps and marching bands in the Star Tribune that would have never run if I hadn't been at the paper to be their advocate. That includes a cover story on last year's Drum Beauty contest in Stillwater, MN, including a side story on a day in the life of the Madison Scouts on tour, and news articles about the Metrodome marching band championship (where I also volunteer).

The reality is that I write a weekly column called Technobabble. It's about tech issues. It usually covers things like video games, DVDs and the Internet, but writing about drum corps' tech issues is my way of getting coverage of the activity in the newspaper when other editors don't want "another cover story about Drum Beauty." That's what I'm dealing with.

So that makes you angry because I found a way to discuss a real issue in the drum corps community? You'd rather that we just run nothing in one of the 20 largest daily newspapers in the country? Unreal.

Thanks, Brent, for the props. And thanks to the few people who have sent me emails or plan to do so. I appreciate it.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want some good stuff to sort through without getting people to e-mail you, there are MANY threads over the last year or two with endless arguments back and forth on the issue.

Most of it is nonsence but you could get some good points of view.

On the other hand, you're probably looking for sources in MN to quote so that wouldn't help you at all.

So that makes you angry because I found a way to discuss a real issue in the drum corps community? You'd rather that we just run nothing in one of the 20 largest daily newspapers in the country? Unreal.

I've always understood when people claimed that the negativity on DCP gets to them, even though I never felt that way. That is, until today.

For the people who claim that discussion on DCP never amounts to anything and doesn't relate to the "real" world, here is the perfect opportunity to have DCP debate broadcasted to a wider audience and mean something out in the "real" world. And, what happens? It gets stomped into the ground by a few ingrates.

Someone wants to make DCI relevant to the general public, and he gets grief for it.

Nice job, folks. My pride in DCP has never been higher. [/sarc] Brent is right.

Matt - I see you lurking out there - you can't come over...you have practice tonight, right? :big hug:

The dark cloud of impending doom, gloom, and large hail has seen to it that Chops won't be rehearsing tonight. Funny you should mention grilling burgers, though... With rehearsal close by my house, that's usually what I do on Thursday nights for the long-distance members who like to avoid traffic by showing up early.

Seems like a good night to have a mello sectional in the basement, as long as we don't disturb the baby too much.

The floccinaucinihilipilification of electronics by the vocal minority is exceptionally unfortunate because there are multitudinous applications for which electronics are entirely fitting. Nevertheless, I exceedingly doubt that the common populous will care one way or another.

You can quote me on that

The floccinaucinihilipilification of electronics by the vocal minority is exceptionally unfortunate because there are multitudinous applications for which electronics are entirely fitting. Nevertheless, I exceedingly doubt that the common populous will care one way or another.

You can quote me on that

:big hug:

Groovy...but I get the St. Paul Paper....not the Red paper, the "Star and Sickle"

Wow, everyone. That was an unexpected response.

In case you missed it, I'm one of you. I've worked many times to get coverage for drum corps and marching bands in the Star Tribune that would have never run if I hadn't been at the paper to be their advocate. That includes a cover story on last year's Drum Beauty contest in Stillwater, MN, including a side story on a day in the life of the Madison Scouts on tour, and news articles about the Metrodome marching band championship (where I also volunteer).

The reality is that I write a weekly column called Technobabble. It's about tech issues. It usually covers things like video games, DVDs and the Internet, but writing about drum corps' tech issues is my way of getting coverage of the activity in the newspaper when other editors don't want "another cover story about Drum Beauty." That's what I'm dealing with.

Thanks, Brent, for the props. And thanks to the few people who have sent me emails or plan to do so. I appreciate it.

Groovy...but I get the St. Paul Paper....not the Red paper, the "Star and Sickle"

Robert you need to contact him and say in your own personal way how electronics and amplification are the wart on the butt of DC's humanity....or words to that effect.