DCA Show in Erie

Never said you were.

If the Erie folks think that theirs is a great site for Finals, they would have looked seriously at submitting a bid. <$1 to Jeff Ream> Rochester will be finished, what, next year? So, DCA will need a new site. If it's held in Scranton again, or elsewhere similar, all that will be discussed in this forum will be how the NE keeps puttin' down the rest of DCA. Erie, at least, will be a move westward.

Besides, Erie is closer to us than Rochester, and we'll be driving right past my parents' place, so the kids can see their grands.

As for actually holding DCA in PittsburgH, as I see it, there is not really a suitable stadium. Heinz Field will be too expensive to rent for DCA (not to mention too big). Univ of Pitt Stadium is gone. Carnegie Mellon's field is too small (and no lights). While many now have turf surfaces, the local HS stadiums nearby have at least one detrimental feature: bad parking, too small or low stands. The case may be the same for Cleveland.

However, Akron might be a good alternative. It's as far west as Cleveland, only 35 miles or so (mostly interstate hwy) from the Cleveland airport, and the Univ of Akron Stadium (The Rubber Bowl) holds 35,000 people. (So figure up to 12,000 concert side seats.)

As I said before, the Erie stadium is not suitable for finals,....................I'm tellin' ya'........Rochester is IDEAL right now,.........Famous Dave's and all!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never said you were.

If the Erie folks think that theirs is a great site for Finals, they would have looked seriously at submitting a bid. <$1 to Jeff Ream> Rochester will be finished, what, next year? So, DCA will need a new site. If it's held in Scranton again, or elsewhere similar, all that will be discussed in this forum will be how the NE keeps puttin' down the rest of DCA. Erie, at least, will be a move westward.

Besides, Erie is closer to us than Rochester, and we'll be driving right past my parents' place, so the kids can see their grands.

As for actually holding DCA in PittsburgH, as I see it, there is not really a suitable stadium. Heinz Field will be too expensive to rent for DCA (not to mention too big). Univ of Pitt Stadium is gone. Carnegie Mellon's field is too small (and no lights). While many now have turf surfaces, the local HS stadiums nearby have at least one detrimental feature: bad parking, too small or low stands. The case may be the same for Cleveland.

However, Akron might be a good alternative. It's as far west as Cleveland, only 35 miles or so (mostly interstate hwy) from the Cleveland airport, and the Univ of Akron Stadium (The Rubber Bowl) holds 35,000 people. (So figure up to 12,000 concert side seats.)

I think Cleveland would be great too except Football season is starting and Burke Lake Front airport has the Air Show every Labor day weekend. All that said........somewhere in Ohio would be and excellant choice after 2009. ( however....I expect the DCA fan base in Rochester may again prevail and I don't have a problem with that personally) BUT.......for the betterment of the activity something more central could be a good thing.

Again $1 to Ream

I think Cleveland would be great too except Football season is starting and Burke Lake Front airport has the Air Show every Labor day weekend. All that said........somewhere in Ohio would be and excellant choice after 2009. ( however....I expect the DCA fan base in Rochester may again prevail and I don't have a problem with that personally) BUT.......for the betterment of the activity something more central could be a good thing.

Again $1 to Ream

Shot in the dark, but what about Penn State Univ. would that be too big as well? Altoona has a minor league baseball team, I'm tryin to think of other places... What about Univeristy of Maryland at College Park, they had DCI Finals there a few years ago... I know the universities can pose a problem... but it's worth a shot!

Shot in the dark, but what about Penn State Univ. would that be too big as well? Altoona has a minor league baseball team, I'm tryin to think of other places... What about Univeristy of Maryland at College Park, they had DCI Finals there a few years ago... I know the universities can pose a problem... but it's worth a shot!

I'd love to play in Beaver Stadium, but Penn State would be an ok venue at best... State Park is basically in the middle of nowhere, it doesn't have all that much aside from PSU and it certainly doesn't have an airport any larger than Erie's - in fact, I believe it does NOT have an airport. Plus.. good luck trying to get Beaver Stadium on the opening weekend of NCAA football.

Shelly dearest..........yinz forgot the ..."H" in Pittsburgh. It's the only burg/burgh in Pa. that ends in an "H" . May not be important to you but those from.......DanTan 'nat would be very upset.

Moving right along though............Erie is a great place for a DCA show. Just not DCA Finals labor day weekend as I don't believe the stadium is large enough concert side even at 7.000 as reported. DCA pre-lims and finals really need 10-12 thousand concert side. Would really be nice though as it (Vet's Stadium) was built for DRUM CORPS' (without any aforthought) given the Super Acoustics.

I say we shoot for a DCA Regional, to be realistic. Just sayin.........

Sorry Gene. I spelled it right in the beginning but must be so tired I missed it the secong time I typed it. Oh well, I was up at 4 Am and by 8 had cleaned 7 stalls, fed dogs, fed cat, did 2 loads of laundry and was ready to drop but had too much to do the rest of the day. LOL It looked OK to my tired eyes. Heck after working tonight until 11 PM it took me a few minutes to even find the mistake.

Maybe finals isn't what we could handle but Regionals would be nice. I just get a little peeved when people think Erie is too small to handle BIG events. As I said before ...We aren't THAT small of a city.

BTW... It was cool to see how you talked about the soccer tournaments we hold here. THEY ARE HUGE!!!! You should come catch a game sometime. We practice right around the corner from your house. :blink:

I'd love to play in Beaver Stadium, but Penn State would be an ok venue at best... State Park is basically in the middle of nowhere, it doesn't have all that much aside from PSU and it certainly doesn't have an airport any larger than Erie's - in fact, I believe it does NOT have an airport. Plus.. good luck trying to get Beaver Stadium on the opening weekend of NCAA football.

We'd love DCA at College Park - get to sleep in our own bed! Agree on PSU - middle of nowhere. A big time college stadium on opening weekend won't work. Not to mention, a place like Beaver Stadium is TOO big. (2nd or 3rd largest stadium in the country - 105K+) DCA crowd would be lost in there.

If Erie's stadium isn't suitable, you need to look for a medium-sized city with a medium-sized college stadium (or like Rochester, with a minor pro-sport stadium). That way the airfare is OK, hotels are plentiful & affordable, and the stadium is Goldilocks (ie "just right").

Rochester is ideal for venue and accommodations.

All things considered......... You have to admit...at this point in time.....given the fan base .........ROCHESTER RULES!!!!! If you can beat it .........BRING IT!!!!! ((another $1 to Jeff Ream)

Don't think Erie could host the Championships. I have competed there and judged there. If an Erie group got the finances and organization done, it is a great place for a regular season show. Lots of western, NY fans and lots of Erie fans.

Get organized and contact DCA board, it would be great to have a show there, who knows Kilts, Cleveland, Govies, Shen Sound, maybe some mid-west or southern Corps avaiable.

Don't think Erie could host the Championships. I have competed there and judged there. If an Erie group got the finances and organization done, it is a great place for a regular season show. Lots of western, NY fans and lots of Erie fans.

Get organized and contact DCA board, it would be great to have a show there, who knows Kilts, Cleveland, Govies, Shen Sound, maybe some mid-west or southern Corps avaiable.

Ok, don't shoot me over this... BUT...

What about Erie hosting a show kinda like at Hershey (ducks behind wall).... Have a DCI/DCA show... yes, I know that LER has the Lake Erie Fanfare in the same stadium... but what about later in the summer having a couple corps stop in for a show after DCI East at Allentown on their way to Indianapolis as well as have some of the DCA corps in attendance along with your host.. the Erie T-Birds. The potential to do it is there. You'd get an awesome crowd.

Just think... A few of the DCI corps.. all primed up and rolling.. ready for Finals... then a few DCA corps... later in the season.. so they're getting warmed up for finals... Sounds like an awesome show!!

Possible lineup could look like this...

DCI - Spirit, Pac Crest, Crusaders, Crown, Blue Knights, BD, Cadets

DCA - Minnesota Brass, Kilties, Empire, Brigs, Roc. Cru, Grennies, Bucs, White Sabers... and the list goes on...

That'd pack the house... that's for sure.... But that's up to Gary and the guys to decide....