Blue Stars Drums/Caption head in 2006

Hybrid_Johnny

My high school is really low on funds, and we're looking into purchasing the Blue Stars' battery percussion from 2006. Can anyone give me insight as to whether this would be a good idea? For $4000, we're getting 9 snares, 4 1/2 tenors, 5 basses, plus all harnesses and stands. Also, if anyone has any information as to who the caption head was in 06, I can get in touch with him to get some info on the drums (for some reason, I can't find that information on bluestars.org - now matter how hard I look).

I could be wrong but I think Brandon Estes was...not positive though.

I'm sure the drums are a pretty good shape of course relative to the fact they spent at least year touring. Are these the Silver Ludwigs? If so I carried a set of tenors in the Oktoberfest Parade. Pretty solid. Little on the heavy side compared to most of the other manufacturers.

Knowing the quality of the Ludwigs they probably had to scavenge one set for spare parts.

• 2 weeks later...

Time for my yearly disagreement,

But I marched on Ludwig drums in the "Commandants Own" US Marine Drum and Bugle Corps from 95-2000 and i found them to be very good.

Sure, there are maintenance and tuning issues, but if you know of a drum maker that requires NO maintenance time, please let the world know!

Admittedly, I love pearl. Ive marched on Pearl, Dynasty and Yamaha as well as Ludwigs, but if you are willing to put in some wrench time on them, the Ludwigs will sound pretty killer.

Listen to some recordings of the last time Magic of Orlando came out. They had a nice battery sound.

And anytime you can get that much equipment for that price, its worth a look.

Just make sure you are willing to put in the time initially to take apart, clean, lube, and reassemble things correctly. This can be a nightmare, but the end result is worth it.

good luck!

Tony

1. The caption head was and is Brent Montgomery. Just talked to him this weekend. He's touring with Blue Stars, so I probably wouldn't bother getting a hold of him for something like this... -- Brandon Estes was caption head in 2005.

2. Your only real issue is with the tenors.

a) They are heavy as F if youre not in shape, but of course your back will get stronger and adjust to the pain.. or you might just keel over and eat turf. ;-).

b) We indeed cannibalized our 5th set of tenors. The tenor rims are a smidge too big for the shells, and when you crank down the head eventually the tension rod just snaps. (think of bending a toothpick...). Sometimes it would break near the top of the tension rod, other times it would be down in the lug casing itself, so the 5th set of tenors has [almost] all lug casings gone - but youd get 4 good sets, and an extra set of fresh drums and rims.

They were used for only the 06 tour, and 07 audition camps. They are loud as hell when theyre in tune! Mind you that that is rare ;-). We played on Evans frost.

c) The harness-to-drum mechanism is... weird.. - there's no real way (and trust me... we tried) to alleviate the fact that the tenors kindve tilt down, especially when you have em on the stands. We actually got a few compliments from people who though we were doing it on purpose :tongue:. It in no way effects the playing or quality of sound or overall look, but up-close it is apparent that theyre not quite flat.

Snares and basses look and sound good! I have a plethera of pics if you want. PM me for more info.

(for some reason, I can't find that information on bluestars.org - now matter how hard I look).

p.s. The link to the blue stars staff is on the home page, under the quick links on the left :thumbup:

Edited by 08Hawkeye

• 2 weeks later...

If you are talking about the chrome ones they used, I heard they turned all yellow from being out in the sun. Th BS's have some pretty nice equipment though, my band director was their director until 05 or 06 (bill sucha) and we have an old tympani set of theirs and it's pretty sweet. I never played on their drums though, I've only marched pearls and mapex. I would look into some mapex drums because we've had nothing but success with them. they are fairly cheap too I think, they give us our drums so i'm not sure on prices.

06: Ludwigs -- The drums are pretty much fine. see my previous post.

07: Pearl -- also sweet

08: Pearl Championship series -- sweet! albeit a fairly.. boring? finish on the drums. A lot of corps seem to have some sort of custom paint job on the shells, but no shame in holding to the classic look :)

last 3 years have all been silver drums, so they can get confusing :).

I don't know what you're talking about turning yellow from the sun... I doubt it, especially since we only used them for a year. If it really worries you just ask the BS admins for up to date pictures before buying.