The Official 2008 Glassmen Thread

We saw them at family day and the front ensemble was alot of fun to watch.

The pit guys do some dance steps that kinda remind me of Ricky Ricardo on the Lucy show.

The show has a bunch of great music.

Very classy guard uniforms and a pretty good show concept.

Horn line was solid and probably the largest I've ever seen from them.

Great new paint job on the drums sorta blue changing to purple

I agree with the front ensemble. They were very energetic. Heres are some pictures of the drums if anyone has missed them.

P6130173.jpg

P6130174.jpg

P6130175.jpg

They really do look more amazing in person so I suggest you go check them out ;)

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gots to love Irodescent Paint schemes. very cool. :ninja:

After assessing their family day, things seem pretty much the same. Not bad...not a top group either. Good chance at finals, but not a given.

I don't see top five as a possibility without major changes there. Not that it is bad, they just don't have the guns to make a major move up. Big results come through big changes. The top seven can only be challenged by the lower seven or so corps through some pretty major efforts.

Guard: strong as always. Some really great potential. Some fun moments that aid the show theme, much like last two years. Like last year, they overtly dominate the overall staging and horn placement is hurt at times (much like last year). Strength of the corps, but not by much. However, I am curious why they haven't made a big move up recently. I don't know the caption head's name (Round face guy, been there five or more years). Though he has been there a while and the guard is good, they stay at the 11-9 placement at finals every year.

Battery and pit: little rough, but nerves could have been a part of it. Lots of good hands, but ensemble issues within the group that seem they should be better for June 16...again, nerves? Seems that if it pulls together, could be their best group in the past few years. Pit stronger than last year at this time. Already performing with energy and confidence. Like the writing for the pit. Seems more up to date and on par with the better pits in the activity. Reminds me of the McNutt years. Hand drumming fun but will take some attention to really be nailed.

Drill: Better...thank goodness. Their drill and guard staging has always seemed to be blah since Jamie Thompson left. Some drum vs. horn placement issues, but Chris Heston is smart and will surely get these moments fixed. Still would like to see more drill GE moments.

Horn line: This has always been the corps weakness. Last year they really made big strides toward a more legit approach to sound production and finesse. Their book had some real challenges that were competitive for their peer group. Based on some things I heard yesterday, I pulled out last years CD and 2006 CD to compare. Last year much better! Yeah there were moments that were weak, but there were also some great moments (I had forgotten that the audience actually clapped at a few momenst just for the hornline.). Balance, blend, tuning, and tonguing (esp. with all the multiple tonguing) was much improved. However, yesterday, they sound like two years ago. Unsupported sounds, articulation fundamental issues, and they sound scared again, like 03-06. I worked hard to hear improvements, but... Trumpets are probably better than last year at this time, but the other sections were probably not as strong. I didn't see Waymire around. I wanted to ask if they just had a weak turn out at auditions or what. I only recognized one brass staff guy from last year. I guess Waymire had some university responsibility or something. I hope them the best, especially after the improvement last year...seemed a great change to build on for this year, but not happening right now.

Show concept like the last two years but seems even more audience friendly which is good. Getting further and further from the "Boring Our Way Into Your Hearts" years.

Thanks for the recap, derbydawg. And I LOVE that paint scheme on the drumline!!! Amazing!! I wish the best to the Glassmen, hoping they have a great season!! Always rooting for them!!!

Maybe this has already been answered somewhere else, but does anyone know why the All-Star Review is not being held at the Glass Bowl this year? That was such an awesome venue with a great vantage point for watching shows :tongue:

I think something might be going on at the Glass Bowl saturday. I am not sure but I believe the second Toledo show is supposed to be at the Glass Bowl.

I think something might be going on at the Glass Bowl saturday. I am not sure but I believe the second Toledo show is supposed to be at the Glass Bowl.

Top ten answers for not having show at Glass bowl are

1. Turf is being replaced

2. Drum corps fans are too rowdy

3. Hash marks are faded

4. Inadequate electrical hookups

5. Broken glass everywhere