The Official 2008 Phantom Regiment Discussion Thread

I was thinking about this last night and maybe it's just me but is Phantoms clutter/drill design hurting them?

The close combat type of drill needed to convey the story (IMO) is a huge contrast to the Blue Devils, Cavies and Crown. Cadets seem to have the same problem. Seems to me that in many portions of the show we don't see enough clear lines or sets. Faust had them but not so much here.

I view this as a design flaw due to judging criteria.

I think this is the best show out their for selling the theme and should win the Disney award, unfortunately that doesn't win Championships.

The corps that win nowdays put winning drills on the field. It's no longer about Brass and Drums. Unfortunately based on recent scores (BD) you can place third in Brass and win. (Not knocking BD)

I don't think I ever remember any corp being able to do that.

• Replies 543
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The battle scene in regiment's show could EASILY be re-written to be Rank & file, culmns etc..........

Think of the movie "Gladiator" They had four( 4) lines of troops/soldiers, one behind the other charging ahead to the combatants...... if they (PR) did this at angled sets, marching slowly, then increasing tempo step wise, it could be QUITE effective visually.......... again, red and yellow flags employed to represent fire, and red to represent bloodshed.......

Why not have the guard tossing the yellow flags to/fro, like actual fireballs? Huh? ANYONE listening? Anyone care? Or, maybe PR's staff have such awe inspiring, jaw dropping things in store that anything mentioned either here or in person would be non-plussed???? I wonder............. with MUCH anticipation I might add!

Edited by PRPhan4ever

I like it! I think they could also goose step for effect. I also think the percussion section needs to have more realistic sounds during the battle. I don't hear enough metal on metal.

After Sparticus picks up his girl and starts yelling NO.....NO.....

A more realistic emotion added would be why???????????????????? That painful agony that is pure human emotion. Maybe just before her throat is cut he turns to see it happen and yells NO........then it gets cut....

I still think the actual cutting should be done slower rather than quick...

Edited by Phantombari1

I like it! I think they could also goose step for effect. I also think the percussion section needs to have more realistic sounds during the battle. I don't hear enough metal on metal.

After Sparticus picks up his girl and starts yelling NO.....NO.....

A more realistic emotion added would be why???????????????????? That painful agony that is pure human emotion. Maybe just before her throat is cut he turns to see it happen and yells NO........then it gets cut....

I still think the actual cutting should be done slower rather than quick...

I dislike the idea of saying "why?" I think that would be EXTREMELY cheesy. I think I heard it the first thing I would think of is Nancy Kerrigan screaming "why why why" over and over again after she got Gillollied.

I think Spartacus yelling "nooo" in agonized tones is just fine. In fact, I think it works very well. I think that IS the realistic emotion. But I do like the idea of having him turned to the audience until the last second, then he turns and sees it happen and is powerless to stop it.

I think I also agree with metal on metal....maybe it is time to resurrect the old metal drumsticks from the 1993 show.

But I think the power of the "goosestep" section is that it only happens that one time in the show. I am not sure using it again would have a good effect.

I think I heard it the first thing I would think of is Nancy Kerrigan screaming "why why why" over and over again after she got Gillollied.

I thought of the exact same thing.......creepy.

Nikk ----

You are dead on, it's just that I want this show to represent and stand for SOOOO many things, I get wrapped up in it all, especially since I'm helping an age out march! I LOVE regiment's show - and I respect ALL performers, but me heart and soul want this to be a show for the ages, so when I get riled up.... Im literally paying for it more ways than one and i wouldn't trade it FOR THE UNIVERSE!

But... saying .... "Why?" at that point in this years show is just like asking why Crown has surpassed PR (for the 2nd year in a row)

Hope to meet you somehwre sometime my friend... I hope I can call u that (Nikk Pilato) and hope that our paths cross......

SUTA!

The Nancy Kerrigan reference killed it for me...You might be right unless he cuts her throat with an Ice Skate.

Many years ago I saw a band in South Carolina leave the field all in rank and file. When each file stepped off their first step was a goose step.

I thought it looked really cool maybe they could do that leaving the field.

The metal on metal sound should be similar to what we heard in Brave Heart when the two armies clash.

Edited by Phantombari1

With all due respect, to think that changes minor or major will sway the vast majority of the judging community is IMO delusional. In the ice skating comparison, changing outfits would not have helped Tonya Harding as much as knee capping her opponent.

Having marched ten years and following drum corps for 40 years, the judges are no more and certainly no less biased as any fan. They like what and who they like and score accordingly. My fear has been that some organizations will become jaded because they are not the "flavor" of the chosen judges and lose heart and interest.

The enduring excellence that some groups put forth in the face of critical disinterest is a testament to their character as much as it is their artistic and musical talents.

That said, I anticipate and encourage continued refinement of the Regiment's program and performance for my own personal enjoyment. That, in the end, is what we will remember: the excellence and not the score.

Regiment CAN win with continued excellence. That they have not been more successful in this year's or past years' placements is more a reflection on the activity than on the Regiment.

Edited by David J

With all due respect, to think that changes minor or major will sway the vast majority of the judging community is IMO delusional. In the ice skating comparison, changing outfits would not have helped Tonya Harding as much as knee capping her opponent.

Having marched ten years and following drum corps for 40 years, the judges are no more and certainly no less biased as any fan. They like what and who they like and score accordingly. My fear has been that some organizations will become jaded because they are not the "flavor" of the chosen judges and lose heart and interest.

The enduring excellence that some groups put forth in the face of critical disinterest is a testament to their character as much as it is their artistic and musical talents.

That said, I anticipate and encourage continued refinement of the Regiment's program and performance for my own personal enjoyment. That, in the end, is what we will remember: the excellence and not the score.

Regiment CAN win with continued excellence. That they have not been more successful in this year's or past years' placements is more a reflection on the activity and not on the Regiment.

Thanks David, well said!

BTW the season is far from over. :tongue: