ALL STAR REVIEW - TOLEDO

Toledo - All Star Review 6/21

After rain storms most of the day, I knew that it just wasn't going to rain last night on drum corps. Whitmer Stadium was about 5 notches down from the Glass- Bowl but it was adequate. Weather was near perfect but as the day light dwindled so did the temps.

Overview

What a great first show for the fans! Each show is totally different from the others. From Pio to Boston, Bluecoats to Empire Statesmen and Cadets to Glassmen, Crossmen and Troopers, everyone has good and some great ideas along with the "not so good". Much much success to all corps and to the members, staff and suport groups. Drum corps is back in town!

Edited by baja

Toledo - All Star Review 6/21

Overview

What a great first show for the fans! Each show is totally different from the others. From Pio to Boston, Bluecoats to Empire Statesmen and Cadets to Glassmen, Crossmen and Troopers, everyone has good and some great ideas along with the "not so good". Much much success to all corps and to the members, staff and suport groups. Drum corps is back in town!

Wow - that was a really excellent review. Thanks for the detailed look at the evening. I appreciate the efforts to present as fair and unbiased a view as possible for each corps. I like the way you stated your opinions without disrespecting the corps involved.

Thanks for taking the time to share your impressions.

Could it be that The Cadets staff is simply trying to bring more attention to a great cause?

I enjoyed your review, and you had me until that.

Thanks for taking the time.

Could it be that The Cadets staff is simply trying to bring more attention to a great cause?

I have to agree with you, it is a good cause. In a second read I am just too critical of the designers intent. I think the connection of the idea and specifically of this idea to a marching field show is difficult at best. I anticipate seeing refinements over time. Thanks for your feed back.

I would agree...but I think they're going about it the wrong way.

To be honest, my first reaction to the narration(I read) was something like 'Breast Cancer? Ugh...come on'

Does that make me a terrible person? Not necessarily.

If I could compare it to anything else, it's like going to a parade and listening to 'Bible-Thumpers' preach about accepting jesus as your lord and savior. Or Jehovah's Witnesses...

"Do you have to do that here and now...?"

I know...Breast Cancer is not a religion...but that's what the situation reminds me of.

Intermission - 30 minutes - Show announcer critigue

The show announcer (Brad Beck I believe Glassmen alum) does a pretty nice job trying to time the "Take the Field" blurb especially with all the preshow show going on. Too bad we didn't hear several more announcements about a second Show in Toledo (wow)the August show just before finals. One hopes this show will be in the beloved Glass Bowl ( crossing fingers arms, legs)

The show announcer's name is actually Brad Bell (although Brad Beck also marched Glassmen. I get confused, too. ). He's been doing the ASR for a few years now and has a really good feel for what he does.

And the August 4th Toledo show IS in the Glass Bowl. I won't be, however, as I will be attending the August 4th MASSILLON show, which is less than an hour from my home AND on my birthday. :tongue:

I wouldn't look at it this way either, although I see what you mean. I actually liked their narration last night, and I was one of those who was very critical of them last year. This year it just works to me, and the feelings and drama that I think their staff, and GH, have been looking to bring to the field are starting to show up. There are some moments in this show that could end up being magical.

As for the breast cancer, you have to understand the story a bit. This girl is being interviewed about her search for happiness, and it is even mentioned that a class at Harvard (which is true by the way) on wellness and happiness is one of the most popular courses taken. But the story here is that most of us kind of go on with our lives (making money, working, serving, etc.) and we often fail to stop and reflect, enjoy the moment, search for the goodness that is there. Often times people don't do this until they face some trauma, a bad situation or even a life threatening situation (like breast cancer). This is what happens with this girl. Her dilemma has caused her to reflect more, to assess life and its meaning, and in that she realizes how lucky she is, and she learns how to find happiness.

You can say it's a bit cheesy, but to me it's far more meaningful and easy to swallow than last year's script. Also, the end of the show is classy, I think. Through all her trials and tribulations, she realizes that sometimes happiness can be found in a simple hug. Only she doesn't say the word "hug," but she ends up hugging one of her friends on the guard. The horns end the show facing backfield, after a set of moves very similar to the end of their 1987 Appalachian Spring production. It is indeed touching, and this is why many in the crowd did not respond at first. Clearly, it is an "Ahhh" moment, then pause, then clapping. I am sure some were confused as well, and let's face it, it is not the normal drum corps show, and it's not a normal show for any type of marching event. But to me, it was a much better attempt at what the future can hold for this activity, and it was pretty cool to see something that progressive and fun, touching, and beautiful.

You know, I get to see plenty of shows that are in your face and driving, and some that are somewhat modern and somewhat traditional, and some that are not so good at all; so it was nice to see this breath of fresh air, something I have never seen before. I always think those little unexpected surprises in life are pretty cool, and they force me to look inside myself for what I like and what I want, and that's pretty cool too. I just can't stay the same and like the same things and never change my outlook just because I wish to stick with older doctrine and long-ago preferences. So to me, this was an excellent show, and I actually think that most drum corps fans are going to like it.

Edited by jwillis35

A block of fans on the 50yd line percieved the ending as her finally finding her happiness in another woman. And it sure looked like they were kissing and not just a "friendly" kiss. On a side note, KUDOS to the Troopers hornline. They "brought" it and it just kept getting stronger. Please have the girl from Cadets send some of her "friends" to the Troopers guard tho. They only had nine on the field.

A block of fans on the 50yd line percieved the ending as her finally finding her happiness in another woman. And it sure looked like they were kissing and not just a "friendly" kiss. On a side note, KUDOS to the Troopers hornline. They "brought" it and it just kept getting stronger. Please have the girl from Cadets send some of her "friends" to the Troopers guard tho. They only had nine on the field.

Sorry, but I can't buy what you're saying. It was very clear that they hugged at the end of the show. But whatever, think what you want.