good review! why not Fusion?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, this is my first year with the cabs and I have to say that I love it. Congrats to the bucs for their win on saturday. Now I didn't see the bucs perform butt my sister said that they were really good. I think it was that their show was a lot cleaner than ours. From what I can remember from the performance we had a lot of little mistakes. There was like one after the other. We had tears in spanish fantasy and I know we had problems with the drum solo, visually and musically. The performance wasn't terrible, we just didn't perform to our full potential. But what can you do, that show is over and we have another one this weekend. You can only get better from here.

Things will definitely get better. Just keep working and approach each practice and show with a bulldog-like tenacity.

When I marched in 1995 our last practice of the season was very intense.

Always be aggressive and work.....work....work.....

Edited by Triple Forte

Bushwackers are quite a bit smaller than the last few years.

Not for long. c'mon, you know us better den dat!

but you know as well as anyone Brian, you do a review based upon what you see, not what the future will or could possibly be . . .

I'm really sorry that I didn't see the person. Steps would have been taken to insure that any disrespect ceased. We insured that all of our members conduct themselves with respect for the uniform and traditions of all drum corps and the Crossmen in particular. What concerns me the most is that an individual has an aussie and tunic and is making himself a disgrace.

Can anyone tell me if it was one of our uniform tops and if the aussie had the ironcross on the flap?

Thanks for any help on this.

Certainly looked like one of your unis. If it was homemade someone should certainly find him, good sewers are always useful.

I may as well give some thoughts... Just MY OWN! lol.. nobody freak out!

The Venue:

I was a little let down as i had heard about how there was "LOTS of brand new bleachers". In reality its really a "Small Time" venue. Nice field, not designed for the big crowds. The highest up seating isnt very high so i sat front and center on the 50!

Crossmen Extreme:

I will be honest here... I cant see the point in whats happening with a project like this.

They looked unorganized from the very get go. Im trying to recall, but it seemed like about 5 minutes of music only and they all dragged music stands out there. With wind like that it really plays havoc on standing at attention. There were pieces of music blowing around the track after that. There was also a few of them moving around and communicating with each other during the National Anthem which was being performed very well by a soloist of thier own.

As far as the playing, it was very average. The 3 percussion members do a nice job on snare and tenors. the high pitch of the snares and 1 solo quad doesnt give it alot of impact. There is also no depth with no bass or cymbal sound. Dragging the pit equipment out there doesnt seem worth the effort. Rather than marimba vibe and tube bells, i would opt for a few pitched bass drums on stands and maybe some suspended cymbal. Horns hit a few loud moments for such a small hornline! Drum major was very professional and sharp. She does a great job in general. Hopefully they can polish this act up a little because it needs it. Some of the crossmen alumni i was there werent really happy with it overall.

Fusion

Not really what i expected. They have this kind of "Vegas" look but dont project a great deal of attitude or confidence. The Hornline has some VERY Powerful moments! Definetly the strength of this corps.

Percussion is somewhat unbalanced with 5 snares to 1 quad. Could be missing people or just have holes, but it might be worth it to reassign someone. Show seems written over the percussion sections heads. Basic understanding of the material seems lacking from the get go. Missed step offs everywhere, technique different accross the board, things like that. I know the season is young, but even so it stood out. CG seems off to a good start although incomplete like everyone else... This show should be alot of fun by the end of the year.

Bucs

As an alum, im about to sound biased, but WOW! very cool. Execusion was typical june, (which for bucs is pretty darn good at times) but thinking ahead, this design is a knockout! Strength and balance in all sections, and a very ambitious show.

Percussion section is definetly in the hunt again even with alot of new faces. Book is BEAUTIFULLY Arranged in front ensemble and battery. Very musical but with more "meat" than recent editions.

Colorguard looks alot bigger and is beautiful in costume. Brass section is already having some of those "Chills" moments. mostly in the opening and closing of the show.

If they execute, count them in when the end comes around. Although some alums disagree, i love the small changes to the Uni. The black sashes and plumes really add depth to the look. I had no problem with the old silver sashes and blue plums, but these seem a little less "Guady" (sp?)

Bush

I couldnt believe how small the corps is! I had heard they were doing pretty well with membership but both brass and perc are very small this time out. Both are pretty powerful despite the small size. The show is appearently to do with "Gypsies" but the people around thought it was latin! lol

Colorguard wasnt in costume, but WOW! they already look sharp. no matter what happens, i think their guard will be in it for the prize again this year. Very big and talented.

Percussion was tiny at 4-2 and 5 but packs a nice little punch. Some "meat" in the snare line is already starting to hit. Hopefully they can fill some of these holes. Get out there if you have time! its a cool book! Horn and perc alike.

Cabs

Hornline leading the way here! Some HUGE impact moments already making you go "WOW!

Percussion not as strong at this point as the last couple of years in wildwood, but i know they will get to it. Alot of the problems seem movement related. Snareline is already at another level from the rest of the percussion ensemble. But again, they will handle it.

Colorguard (as we have all talked about) have a unique idea in mind for costume choice. I think its pretty cool. Doing a show thats been done as much as this, you MUST find new ways to put a twist on it and i think they are really contributing to that effort.

I have a feeling people will dismiss this corps for not being as complete early on, but that would be a mistake! lookout for these guys!

The Surf

HUGE sound already from that brass line in this fun show. Percussion a little behind but i know they will be along shortly! This corps is still developing its confidence but you know this will be different after the first tour when they get moving! Drill was still incomplete so they played half the show in place. Colorguard looks sharp and colorfull. Cant wait to see this completed!

Cabs Alum

Doin it like only those old pro's can.

"Super Chops" doesnt begin to describe it! Any section out there.

Those soloists leave you just shaking your head in disbelief at times.

My only two complaints (and judging by the crowd, its just me), they are on the field a bit too long. I like my shows to hit, get it, and quit it. 10 minutes is my max. And i would rather watch the performers than the drum major but this particular major really is a distraction. No disrespect intended, just my personal preference.

Overall a great show! I heard the souvie boothes did REALLY well! Im sure the weather drove some "hoodie" sales, but either way thats great! Gotta keep these drum corps on the road!! The weather stayed dry though proving once and for all that god wants the show to happen! but judging by the wind, he wants it IN the convention center! lol

this is tony and i approved this message

tony

Nice job Tony - awesome to see you this weekend :lookaround: