Bridging The Gap - Show Designers vs. The Fans

While reading some of the comments regarding Hawthorne's show it dawned on me........I have no knowledge at all of Dali or Picasso. Without educating myself, I am probably going to "miss" a lot of the show. I am what you might call a lazy drum corps fan. I go to hear horns.....lots of them......and loud. I go for goosebumps. This fact somewhat prohibits me from adding much value in terms of critiquing show concepts. Unfortunately for me, I actually do enjoy shows more when I "get them". However, usually on Labor Day Weekend I am on vacation and am really looking to sit there, drink and treat the show like a huge TV screen where I just zone out and tap my foot and viscerally respond to what I hear and see.

Maybe this is fast food, but maybe there would be a way for each corps to explain to the fans what they are trying to do with their show so that people like me can better receive it. I am not saying to the point where you give up your secrets, but something more concrete than some abstract paragraph invoking the usual cliches about journey's of the mind etc etc.

I love drum corps. However, I don't listen to it like I used to. I am not in college or in the local symphony, so I don't read about Dali or Picasso and I don't know who the latest up and coming composer is. I have 3 kids and a job and a house that occupies most of my time, so when I do read it is usually focused on computer networking, college football, self improvement, or home improvement. If I had some decent idea of what each corps show was trying to do I could then connect the dots on my own. Whether this information be provided on their website or in programs I don't care.

When you present any idea, thought, or proposal you are always told to remember who your audience is. I would say that sometimes show designers forget that people like me are sitting in the audience.......and based on the conversations I have had over the last 20 years in the concourses at DCA's there are a lot of people like me in the audience. I don't get it because I don't know diddly about the French Revolution or whatever........educate me a little bit so I can then not only enjoy your show as it was designed, but so that I have a basis from which to interpret your show. Give me some Clifts Notes :)

I am sure that oftentimes, and I am projecting here, when people who complain about a show its because they didn't know what you were trying to accomplish because a lot of people in the stands aren't necessarily Art, History, Music, or Literature enthusiasts..........they are Drum Corps enthusiasts.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While reading some of the comments regarding Hawthorne's show it dawned on me........I have no knowledge at all of Dali or Picasso. Without educating myself, I am probably going to "miss" a lot of the show. I am what you might call a lazy drum corps fan. I go to hear horns.....lots of them......and loud. I go for goosebumps. This fact somewhat prohibits me from adding much value in terms of critiquing show concepts. Unfortunately for me, I actually do enjoy shows more when I "get them". However, usually on Labor Day Weekend I am on vacation and am really looking to sit there, drink and treat the show like a huge TV screen where I just zone out and tap my foot and viscerally respond to what I hear and see.

Maybe this is fast food, but maybe there would be a way for each corps to explain to the fans what they are trying to do with their show so that people like me can better receive it. I am not saying to the point where you give up your secrets, but something more concrete than some abstract paragraph invoking the usual cliches about journey's of the mind etc etc.

I love drum corps. However, I don't listen to it like I used to. I am not in college or in the local symphony, so I don't read about Dali or Picasso and I don't know who the latest up and coming composer is. I have 3 kids and a job and a house that occupies most of my time, so when I do read it is usually focused on computer networking, college football, self improvement, or home improvement. If I had some decent idea of what each corps show was trying to do I could then connect the dots on my own. Whether this information be provided on their website or in programs I don't care.

When you present any idea, thought, or proposal you are always told to remember who your audience is. I would say that sometimes show designers forget that people like me are sitting in the audience.......and based on the conversations I have had over the last 20 years in the concourses at DCA's there are a lot of people like me in the audience. I don't get it because I don't know diddly about the French Revolution or whatever........educate me a little bit so I can then not only enjoy your show as it was designed, but so that I have a basis from which to interpret your show. Give me some Clifts Notes :)

I am sure that oftentimes, and I am projecting here, when people who complain about a show its because they didn't know what you were trying to accomplish because a lot of people in the stands aren't necessarily Art, History, Music, or Literature enthusiasts..........they are Drum Corps enthusiasts.

I feel your pain bro,,,,

I would love to see a show based on 18th century music with tricorn hats and the guard girls wearing stays and carrying blunderbusses ,,but I am not sure the whole audience would get that.

To each his own I guess.

Buy a hot dog when the corps coming on the field does not cater to your understanding of what drum corps is suppose to be.

Chances are when XYZ corps hits the field and there is a long line for hot dogs,,,,chances are the designing staff and the visual guys are going to be looking for a new gig next season.\

Vote with your hot dog!!!!!

Edited by camel lips

I agree, and I don't like being led in the design process on what I am to think or feel.

ergo, i just watch and allow my own thoughts or feeling to surface. I don't read the program write ups, and i usually only listen to Fran to see if he's announcing food price discounts at the concessions or to hear if he screws something up :tongue:

i tried a few years ago to research shows and the meanings, and it took the fun out of it for me. now i just go.

If you need a program or an explanation to get a show, it's not worth getting.

The best way out of this for a corps is to "educate the audience".

The kids marching, DCA or DCI, have been exposed to art and music through their education. They will probably get it. Sure, there are some older folks in DCA that might not be up on the art and music, but they'll play whatever they are given "for the corps".

How do you educate the audience? Years ago, the Cadets handed out a printed libretto. I don't think that's the best way, but it did help some folks. Maybe having a couple Picasso and Dali prints displayed at the rear of the Cabs' souvie table would be helpful.

We complain about so-called cookie cutter shows, then when someone tries to be different, some folks have problems with that.

So, you can't please all of the people all of the time.

Buy a hot dog when the corps coming on the field does not cater to your understanding of what drum corps is suppose to be.

Yeah, that's the ticket...go buy a hot dog.

Hopefully you're open-minded there - maybe some ketchup and onions this time instead of mustard? Expand the old taste palette one way or the other.

The best way out of this for a corps is to "educate the audience".

How do you educate the audience? Years ago, the Cadets handed out a printed libretto. I don't think that's the best way, but it did help some folks. Maybe having a couple Picasso and Dali prints displayed at the rear of the Cabs' souvie table would be helpful.

understood,..............the first sparticus libretto used by Phantom I thought was kinda cool,............but I really have enough to think about, and don't want to be "educated"...............it just gives me the sense of being educated by some freakin' know-it-all,...........that has their own sense of "I know better than you, so I need to educate you" mindset,...............now that's a turn off

Just to add to the commentary.......put the corps on the field and allow me to "get it". If I do, it worked for me. I think the EQ (entertainment quotient) should combine and consider all facets of the production to insure that they are "readable" meaning "understandable" by the majority of the audience.

Just my 2 lira

Joe