Bridgeport, CT Review 6/28

This is not to be construed as a dig - just a couple of questions - can you tell us a tiny bit about yourself? I'm guessing a Euph player, but where, when, how long? Are you a music teacher or student? Pro player, semi pro? Excited amateur? also not a dig - amateurs are where music lives).

It just gives me more context for your review if I know where it's coming from.

Plus - I might be the most brass-centric person I've ever known (and I don't say that as if it's a good thing) but I don't believe I've ever seen a review that COMPLETELY ommitted the percussion!!! About 25% of the readers on dCP must be steaming at the slight!!! (good enough for them).

Beyond timing things and general sound comments, you didn't get into repertoires too much... too early to tell?

Thanks for the courageous offering though. I wish I could have gone - the Barnum is almost a spiritual event for us old-timers.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the courageous offering though. I wish I could have gone - the Barnum is almost a spiritual event for us old-timers.

and for us not so old timers too.

:thumbup:

This is not to be construed as a dig - just a couple of questions - can you tell us a tiny bit about yourself? I'm guessing a Euph player, but where, when, how long? Are you a music teacher or student? Pro player, semi pro? Excited amateur? also not a dig - amateurs are where music lives).

It just gives me more context for your review if I know where it's coming from.

Plus - I might be the most brass-centric person I've ever known (and I don't say that as if it's a good thing) but I don't believe I've ever seen a review that COMPLETELY ommitted the percussion!!! About 25% of the readers on dCP must be steaming at the slight!!! (good enough for them).

Beyond timing things and general sound comments, you didn't get into repertoires too much... too early to tell?

I'm a college student who is currently sidelined from the drum corps activity due to injury. You're correct I am a euphonium player I've been playing since high school. I'm not quite a pro I do play in bands outside of school every once in awhile if someone invites me to do so. I tried hard not to go into the percussion because I didn't really feel it was my place to comment in an area that I have little knowledge. I felt that would be kinda rude. I made the review pretty general I mean its not the greatest detail I could've gone into so I wrote what I felt was most important the time and really felt that I wanted the people reading it to be the people who performed saturday night. That if I could talk to that corps or brass section this is generally what I would say. I dont take your comment as a dig so don't worry about that haha thank you for you interest. Would you have found this review helpful?

good review. it's always tough to leave your zone of comfort, and even tougher to talk about areas you don't have a lot of background in. lord knows I've been told my reviews have been to percussion heavy, but really, i'm not the guy you want discussing some brass and visual stuff.

They were all great haha. I won't criticize any of those guys I admire them for being out there. The marine drum and bugle corps was especially awesome though. :tongue:

As a member of one of those alumni groups, I always enjoy reading what the audience thinks of us. Besides the standing 'O's we usually get, I like to know what it was about the show that really got you on your feet!

I do hope in the future, some brave young (or old) soul would attempt to review our performance, and any other exhibition performances.....no mater if they are alumni or not. Afterall, we ARE part of the show!!!

For us, it it's sometimes the only criticism we receive.....good, bad or indifferent!

Just my $0.02!!!

I was fully prepared to review Cabs Alumni at the Bayonne show, but the best I could get from that night is: Boy, once I heard the show was cancelled, it seems nobody packs up their cars quicker and better than the Cabs Alumni!!!!!!

:tongue:

As a member of one of those alumni groups, I always enjoy reading what the audience thinks of us. Besides the standing 'O's we usually get, I like to know what it was about the show that really got you on your feet!

I do hope in the future, some brave young (or old) soul would attempt to review our performance, and any other exhibition performances.....no mater if they are alumni or not. Afterall, we ARE part of the show!!!

For us, it it's sometimes the only criticism we receive.....good, bad or indifferent!

Just my $0.02!!!

Just my $0.02!!!

Frank,

I can tell you that Cabs Alumni usually makes critiques difficult to pay attention to for the staff members waiting back field. :tongue: You guys sounded great at Barnum! Especially when you and Curt (and several others, I'm sure) play very high and loud. People seem to like that.

Seriously, the corps always does a great job and the Chambersburg audience is going to go ape-&*^% on July 26. Looking forward to you guys coming to town.

Cabs Alumni looked and sounded great.

The soloist all look great since they put on a few pounds.

COol that we're theonly corps you said somethign about the percussion section, thanks! :)

Sunday at the parade Cru and Hurcs threw it down in a friendly "drum off" and at the end we all played some exercises together and everyone had a great time!

hurcscrudrumcircle.jpg