Narration hypocrites

So everyone hates the Cadets because they have a story line being told. People have even WISHED for the person doing the narration, to succumb to breast cancer. REALLY. People are that completely STUPID. We all know that the Cadets will have narration and then when we hear it, we act surprised and insulted. REALLY. I am assuming then, that the crowd response would be positive towards the Cadets if they didn't have narration? SOOOOOOO, where is all this venom and hate for the SECOND biggest talking corps ( with pathetic mics that only work once in a while ) You know the BLUUUUUEECOATS. Maybe they aren't blooing and they are booing? I think I could understand the Rocky theme WITHOUT narration. I won't even wish that the narrator gets punchdrunk, but I will call the Bluecoats, the junior Cadets. Come on, hate one, hate all. I have never in my lifetime thought that the people in DCI would be such low life morons as to wish cancer on someone for narrating, or ANYTHING else. People crying and whining because ten, oops, twenty minutes of their experience has someone talking during it. Its called a bathroom break. Go buy some souvies, get some popcorn, ignore the show. THAT IS OK. Wishing death upon someone IS NOT. Please leave DCI, if you are that insane. Seek help. Anyone wants to know who and where, go to the Madison thread, around page 80-100. Until then, keep enjoying the Rocky talk.........

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yowsa, its called level of tollerance I guess !! I hate it all, wish it wouldnt exist but if I had a choice I would choose a sentence or two.

Doesnt mean I support or encourage though and I still groan internally when all is said and done.

Geoffrey

The debate isnt about narration but about content... cmon you oldtimers!

I'm certainly no hypocrite. I think narration is lame no matter who does it and how they do it. They should all just shut up and play their instruments. Call me a hater or an old timer or whatever, but this is drum corps we're talking about. I want to hear some great brass with great percussion, see some amazing drill, topped off with some stellar color guard action. There's no need for some weak narration making up for weak show design.

My thoughts about hypocrisy go a little differently.

There are those who tell fans who don't like narration that we should show appreciation for the kids on the field despite what we think of the show. Well, when that sentiment is reciprocated, when those people start showing up in droves for the first three OTL corps on the field and giving them something more than a golf clap, then I'll take them seriously.

Additionally, some of those same people say that it's the fault of the directors and the administrators of the non-finalist (or other smaller) corps that they are struggling. And they are right, for the most part. But when it comes to design flaws that lead to the hand-sitting for a perennial champion, those same people refuse to point to corps leadership who are using the kids to push agendas and instead blame the hand-sitters.

So, there's plenty of hypocrisy to go around. I haven't seen either of these shows yet, so I'm not going to comment on Bloo vs. Cadets in terms of narration for 2008. Last year I tolerated Bloo's narration because I felt it was relevant to the whole design, and there was a good hook in one moment. In contrast, the narration for Cadets was an element that felt completely unrelated to the rest of the show, and as such it was distracting at best from a marvelous musical and visual book. That should cause a pretty big GE hit, IMO. If I feel like I can't jump up and scream "YEAH!" because I'm supposed to sit still and listen to someone prattling on, then the show design is flawed.

No hypocrisy from me. I think all narration sucks.

I'm certainly no hypocrite. I think narration is lame no matter who does it and how they do it. They should all just shut up and play their instruments. Call me a hater or an old timer or whatever, but this is drum corps we're talking about. I want to hear some great brass with great percussion, see some amazing drill, topped off with some stellar color guard action. There's no need for some weak narration making up for weak show design.

That pretty much sums it up for me, really doesn't have to be any more complicated than that, well said!

No hypocrisy from me. I think all narration sucks.

Make that two of us....