Narration hypocrites

As one replied, " maybe tongue in cheek". Pretty DUMB no matter what the intent. I personally don't find cancer FUNNY. Nothing about it. Not even one bit. As far as narration goes, you are getting the point. I only see the Cadets being bashed over and over and over and over and over.......... Bluecoats are using it. Second year in a row, WHERE IS THE HATE????. Their problem is that they don't know how to use mics to save their lives. Three out of four shows they blow it. Everyone says it should count towards GE, then Blue you lost last night and took around 11th. The other poster is right. Blooooo don't need to talk at all. It doesn't add to the show. Everyone gets it, except for the 21 y/o low life piece of vermin, whom, I DO NOT wish illness upon. Its called maturity, someday you will attain it, maybe.

Hypothetically...

Two corps use narration with equal skill (sic) and for equal durations during their show. One corps is Cadets, one is (insert any corps name you wish here). Cadets will take all the ####.

Why?

George.

I'm sure he's helping his corps in many many ways, but he's also setting it up to be the most hated corps of the decade. Fair? Nope. Human nature to vent at the percieved source of all ills? You bet.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Without the Cadets' narration this year, there would be no theme or story to their show whatsoever.

You mean you don't automatically think of breast cancer when you hear Vesuvius?

Yes, without the narration all the Cadets are left with is some great music, great guard work,

and great drill.

Since I unconditionally loved the 2007 Cadets show with narration and all, and wasn't bothered by 2007 Bluecoats use of it (2007 Bluecoats MY FAVORITE SHOW OF THE YEAR).....

..........I guess I should come out of the closet as an official Narration Hypocrite. Are there any rehabilitation centers for people with my affliction?

If you loved the narration, then if you might look up the term in a dictionary, then try to be cool in a new way. Your post makes no sense as is.

Hypothetically...

Two corps use narration with equal skill (sic) and for equal durations during their show. One corps is Cadets, one is (insert any corps name you wish here). Cadets will take all the ####.

Why?

George.

I'm sure he's helping his corps in many many ways, but he's also setting it up to be the most hated corps of the decade. Fair? Nope. Human nature to vent at the percieved source of all ills? You bet.

BINGO, you get it. So HATE George, leave the corps alone. Blast one, blast all. If it isn't really narration you hate, but Goerge, then why the insesent (sp) need to attack the performers?

Narration IS CONTENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are correct ... and that's part of the problem.

The narration is the content in the 2008 Cadets' show, reducing the music to an underscore ... punctuation if you will. Much like the soundtrack to a film.

That's also precisely what is wrong with the show ... The music should be what drives a drum corps show. If the music is there to serve anything, some would say it is there to serve the visual ( I don't agree with that, and have always felt the visual should support the music.)

Aside from that, "Pursuit of Happiness" is a deeply flawed program. Cadets' staff have delivered a formula show entirely derivative of "This I Believe" ... The music and narration have changed, but it's basically the same.

Don't think they're going to be getting farther than 7th place with this show.

(Oh, and there is so much hate and utter nonsense going on in this thread that it's hard to take seriously ... )

Edited by DCIHasBeen

BINGO, you get it. So HATE George, leave the corps alone. Blast one, blast all. If it isn't really narration you hate, but Goerge, then why the insesent (sp) need to attack the performers?

But it is not just George making this a bad performance! The narrative performers are also the ones making the performance bad. I am sorry, I think it is great to have advocacy to overcome breast or any cancer, but I felt like the perfromers that were miked up might have just a as well be doing an interview about how well "hooked on phonics works for them." It was terrible!!! Worst of all, I agree that the performers that are playing and spinning are amazing, but they spend so much time off the horns that I do not think it should be rewarded over the likes of Crown or others. To me, this design is dependent on having the narration create the mood and set the tone for the entire show. It is not happening and unfortunately even if they replace the narrators, it will still not change the fact that the talking is taking away from their performance!! The difference in Bluecoats is that their narration is supplimental! Same as Crown a year ago, it is an effect narration, and not a bad theatre want to be narrative!!

W Perkins

Although I'm not a fan of narration, I think that it is okay to use and sometimes even necessary depending on your show concept. However, it needs to be used like spice; too much and you may ruin the taste. It seems that using it worked well for Crown and Bluecoats last year. I don't see why so many throw so much negativity at The Cadets. If they have a problem with Hopkins, bash Hopkins but leave the performers out of it.

You mean you don't automatically think of breast cancer when you hear Vesuvius?

Yes, without the narration all the Cadets are left with is some great music, great guard work,

and great drill.

Sorry - I think maybe I was not entirely clear in my meaning......

I'm not saying that they don't have "some great music, great guard work, and great drill." And I'm not saying that it's NECESSARY to have a theme or a story. I'm simply saying that they are, in fact, trying to tell a story but the only thing that conveys that story is the narration. Take away the narration and their story's gone.

So I would prefer that if they want to tell a story, then use the entire show to tell the story rather than just narration. But if they want to do just great music, great guard work, and great drill (which is what I, personally, would prefer) then do that. To me, this year's show seems particularly disjointed in that respect compared to the past few years. Which is also my interpretation of what a number of others here are saying as well.

I'm not sure the performers are actually being attacked for the most part, although I find some of the "cancer" quotes on here offensive. Cadets show this year though, sounds to me like a complete bust regardless of who would be performing it.

Coats image may be getting some help because they're making such a pig's ear of the technological piece that it doesn't seem like they are narrating as much, or at all.