petition to fire Marie Czapinski!

Okay, I am a Troopers guy so I'll tell you what I've seen recently.

Hutchinson, KS the score was a 78.00 somethin'

The next show which was just as good if not better dropped to somewhere around a 72 or 73 in Denver.

This year the Troopers are WAY better than last year. But, their first score was a....

58.somethin'

The next show comes along and they get a 63.somethin'

How could there be that kind of a difference from one day to the next. I just don't think these people know how to judge anything. I'm 25 years old and think we should use the tick system. Cut and dry. No more of this touchy feely BS. "Oh we want to give everybody a chance.." Shut up and judge! In drum corps we've all heard that consistency creates results. Maybe the judges should start thinking about that within their system.

Mike

A modified tick system, yes. The old one, no. I want to see a hybrid between the 2 systems.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You really can't argue with their brass performance score. The GE Visual score, on the other hand, is debatable.

ok, i'll bite. how do you debate a score in an area (GE) no one understands or can really define? and don't quote the description from the judges manuals, its been done on here before, and doesn't correlate to actual scoring in any decipherable way.

am i the only person here who finds it ironic that the only thing that p###es you guys off more than score slottings is when the scores fail to slot properly?

we need a petition to fire all the judges and go with a jury panel like piano competitions have. award first second and third, and special honors in specific categories when relevant. and no scores, when have they ever been objective or relevant to what happens on the field? a crowd noise measurement would be more accurate than a typical judging recap, and most of the people in the crowd are idiots. what does that tel you?

Wow. We agree on something.

I find all of this hoopla ironic as well. We want corps to be scored on their individual performances and not get slotted, and then when something happens in that vein, people gripe.

You people are like those bad parents who come to school and defend their bad kids to the principal and try to get the teacher fired (and I am not saying BAC is bad).

Last night's score won't change the season for BAC. Get over it, people.

Judge 1: How are you going to slot the corps tonight?

Judge 2: Oh, you know. The same as always. Once a Finalist, always a Finalist.

Judge 3: But what if Pioneer rocks the house tonight? I think we should give them the score.

Judge 1 & 2: Are you crazy? Do you want to lose your job? Just do as instructed by the front office.

Judge 3: (Sigh) Yea, what was I thinking.

Judge Marie: The heck with you guys. I'm not a slotter. I call 'em like I see 'em. And to heck with the response I'm gonna get on DCP tomorrow. I've been doing this job for over twenty years now...TWENTY. And even if those ya-hoos start an "Official DCP petition to fire Marie Czapinski", I won't back down. I won't be intimidated. DO THEY EVEN KNOW WHO I AM?? I'M DCI JUDGE MARIE CZAPINSKI! (storms out of room and slams door)

Judge 1, 2 & 3: Wow...there goes some cojones.

Judge 1: How are you going to slot the corps tonight?

Judge 2: Oh, you know. The same as always. Once a Finalist, always a Finalist.

Judge 3: But what if Pioneer rocks the house tonight? I think we should give them the score.

Judge 1 & 2: Are you crazy? Do you want to lose your job? Just do as instructed by the front office.

Judge 3: (Sigh) Yea, what was I thinking.

Judge Marie: The heck with you guys. I'm not a slotter. I call 'em like I see 'em. And to heck with the response I'm gonna get on DCP tomorrow. I've been doing this job for over twenty years now...TWENTY. And even if those ya-hoos start an "Official DCP petition to fire Marie Czapinski", I won't back down. I won't be intimidated. DO THEY EVEN KNOW WHO I AM?? I'M DCI JUDGE MARIE CZAPINSKI! (storms out of room and slams door)

Judge 1, 2 & 3: Wow...there goes some cojones.

Judge Marie: ... and your little dog, Toto, too!

(This thread is officially out-of-hand.)

Really you all need to get over it. We are just starting to see the normal faces who will probably wind up judging the big regionals and championships. That's why I never put much weight on scores given by judges like Orefice, Bertelle, Fox, Wyant, etc. They may know what they're doing, but usually they aren't the ones judging the final week. You may not like it, but it is what it is.

Now if you want to talk politics, you need to look back at some of the judging from the 80's.

A modified tick system, yes. The old one, no. I want to see a hybrid between the 2 systems.

By the time of the last season that ticks were used in 1983 they were only about 45% of the score. The majority was already build-up captions (i.e., pulling numbers out of various orifices).

Ticks weren't perfect. Neither is the current system. Is there a system that is perfect? Not really.

Garry in Vegas

PS PRAng, I've heard stories about a certain judge and Regiment's guard. Wonder how you would have been scored had you worn blue...

Edited by CrunchyTenor

This thread is very funny to me.

We have threads complaining about "slotting". We have threads complaining about Marie NOT slotting. So? What is it? What do you want?

I applaud her for calling it like she saw it. She was judging honestly....not using outside influence and previous results to help her put a number down. Bravo to her. She has more guts than most DCI judges. Do I agree with her decisions all the time? No. She had 2000 Cavaliers in 3rd in GE Visual at finals and cost them an outright championship. I don't agree with that placement, but hats off to her for making a call.

As to the first bolded question/point - "what do you want?" - what I would like and want is consistency and continuity in judging, not a giant "smack down" all the sudden that seems inconsistent with how a show has been being judged up to a given contest.

As to the second bolded question/point - was she judging honestly? How can we know for sure. I've read reviews here and opinion seems to vary between BAC's show was dirty last night and BAC's show was not as dirty as it was judged last night. Who's word should I take?

I will, however, go with the judge who judged the show, as that was her job last night, and hope that it was indeed fair and honest.

I would vote for this IMO. But a full return to strictly tic judging at this point would be taking too many steps backwards. Not the direction corps should go, again IMO.

I find all of this hoopla ironic as well. We want corps to be scored on their individual performances and not get slotted, and then when something happens in that vein, people gripe.

You people are like those bad parents who come to school and defend their bad kids to the principal and try to get the teacher fired (and I am not saying BAC is bad).

Last night's score won't change the season for BAC. Get over it, people.

Well, everyone who comes to DCP and reads even a little knows my take and arguments about judging. But two things I remain consistent on in my arguments:

- The judging should be consistent - no "independant contractors" out there. We have, however always seen "tough" judges, and we all knew who they were. You had to be on your game if they were judging a show and the instructors always made sure you knew. But I thought that with this new style of judging that was supposed to be eliminated for the most part.

- I have always said "why shoulod there be any "slotting" or "seeding" at all?" If that's the case, then why should the corps compete? What's the point of a competition if the corps have all been pre-determined in positions? Why would I want to go other than to just enjoy the music and then stay for a placement ceremony? Why not just have a show, and after the last corps finishes everyone goes home? Why should someone win if they've been slotted or seeded into a position?

Wow, how many ways can I ask that question? :thumbup:

and FWIW, we shouldn't have a thread that implies "The OFFICIAL DCP petition to fire..." anyone... because it is neither "OFFICIAL" or our call here to do that. But I understand the OP's point...

This thread has just officially earned the legendary, venerable:

"I stomp them"

Thank you for your attention.