Spartans

Hello...McFly!!!! You there???

Wow! Where are you from? "Dominance from years past?" I have NEVER heard anyone say that in drum corps...maybe marching band (LOL...NYS).

You judge what you see at each show and NOT what they scored yesterday or last year.

I don't know if it's been discussed on the forum yet, but why are their scores so low? Why aren't the scores reflecting the dominance from years past? It seems that there has been a major change here, and not for the positive (as far as scores go).

Shawn

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mr. Keith Hall,

Did you need to include your sarcastic comment on how corps are judged in your reply? I didn't think so.

I don't know why it matters where I'm from, but I am from the Pacific Northwest. Specifically I live in Vancouver, WA (we used to have a Spartans here too). I also ran the Oregon Crusaders for a few years, the man who originally created the Southern Oregon Crusaders was a veteran of your Rochester Crusaders. That's where the name came from (the Southern was later dropped when moved to Portland from Medford).

What do you call the Blue Devils, Cadets or Cavies during their multiple championships? Cavies "dominated" the corps activity for the early 2000's. Isn't that one way to explain their success?

Spartans "dominated" my corps (as previously posted) during 98 and 99 summers. Spartans won multiple titles in multiple years.

What would you have had I used instead of "dominance from years past" Mr. Hall???

Again, I know that organizations go through changes and go down different paths. I've already stated I hope the Spartans have an amazing season! Many corps have come back strong from major changes....Cascades have done it, Troopers have done it, Madison has done it, and so has Spirit.

Shawn

Hello...McFly!!!! You there???

Wow! Where are you from? "Dominance from years past?" I have NEVER heard anyone say that in drum corps...maybe marching band (LOL...NYS).

You judge what you see at each show and NOT what they scored yesterday or last year.

Thank you for posting the links to the earlier threads. I had missed out on all that, as I was working 95 hours weeks, and didn't catch the boards alot of days in a row.

I can't wait to see Spartans during finals week(aren't many shows in the area before that now). I have always enjoyed seeing the Spartans shows, they have put out some wonderful shows over the years.

Good luck to the Spartans on a safe and wonderful season.

Mr. Keith Hall,

Did you need to include your sarcastic comment on how corps are judged in your reply? I didn't think so.

I think Keith interpreted this statement: "Why aren't the scores reflecting the dominance from years past?" as you saynig that they should be scoring higher just because they were a dominant corps in the past, as opposed to what they are doing on the field now. I don't think that is what you meant, but it can be read that way. My own take is that you are wondering just HOW a corps could go from being dominant to where they are right now...and so quickly at that.

I think Keith interpreted this statement: "Why aren't the scores reflecting the dominance from years past?" as you saynig that they should be scoring higher just because they were a dominant corps in the past, as opposed to what they are doing on the field now. I don't think that is what you meant, but it can be read that way. My own take is that you are wondering just HOW a corps could go from being dominant to where they are right now...and so quickly at that.

That's how I took it as well, which is my thinking, too.

I'm curious... oc1 Shawn... you may know my name as I was associated with Cascades for one season... but as often as I was around OC I had no idea about the Rochester Crusaders connection... Could I ask who that was?

As for Spartans, don't know what happened to them... I do know that Peter LaFlamme = Class Acts (both junior and senior) and I wish them well in what is obviously a rebuilding year.

Been there, Done that...

Really? How could a "Class act" allow a drum corps to go from 1st place to 15th (According to DCP Captions Ranking System) in one season. Sounds more like poor leadership to me.

First of all, corps placements don't matter until that last performance in August so you can't say the Spartans went from 1st to 15th unless they remain there this whole next month. About Peter Laflamme, the guy has directed for almost 30 years and the corps has dropped placement before, most recently in 2000 or 2001 (granted they are much further behind at the start of the competitive season than ever). Class Act = someone who can keep a corps afloat for all that time while so many Div ii/iii corps that have sprung up are now inactive/have folded.

Corps win some, lose some, then start over. Is this really so hard to grasp?

-T

Fitchburg Kingsmen Alumna