Parents Speak Up

Judging by this topic - 90% of dcp understands why people boo, and are even ok with it, yet all of them swear to have never done it themselves. Where are all of these mysterious boo-birds. I'd love to hear from some of them directly, instead of each side defending / attacking the proverbial 'he-who-shall-not-be-named'...

They are probably out somewhere booing at something or someone. :hmmm:

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Judging by this topic - 90% of dcp understands why people boo, and are even ok with it, yet all of them swear to have never done it themselves. Where are all of these mysterious boo-birds.

Don't you mean... the bloo-birds?

:hmmm::lol::hmmm:

:blink::smile::lol::hmmm::lol::lol:

Yep -- I agree. I was just pointing out the differences in reactions. Truth is -- a group-think mob-mentality takes over at the far end of the reaction scale and folks who might otherwise restrain themselves are swayed and/or covered by those who can't or choose not to. It's easier to boo when others are and you fool yourself into thinking that it's acceptable even if you wouldn't think so if you were the only one doing it. You either exercise self-control over your emotions or you don't and imo it doesn't make you look any less foolish just because "everyone else is doing it" ...

Sorry to get all Aristotelian on you there

No apologies necessary because you're right on. I was thinking along these lines too. How much easier is it to throw flack at the Cadets when you know others might too? And rationalizations like the ones in this thread only encourage the next ugly comment in the false belief it's okay.

HH

...amplified voice evokes a visceral, negative reaction from some people. Perhaps they feel that amplified voice in a drum corps show is just as jarring and rude as their own behavior. Maybe they want to show they're just as clever as the designers who come up with lines like "drop your weapons!". Or, it could just be that the reason we see more of this directed toward amplified voice is because the discontent over amplified voice is far greater in magnitude than any other fan gripe ever has been. Several possibilities....

Agreed, though I'd think a visceral reaction of the sort you describe wouldn't be restricted to one of several "voiced" corps.

HH

This is pretty much what I was getting at earlier, and I think its all that needs to be said. I understand drum corps is not an orchestra concert, and I dont mind people yelling things, but if what you are about to yell would offend you if you heard it during your favorite corps show, that you should probably keep your mouth shut.

Does this go for Hopkins and the design team as well ? :hmmm:

You do understand that they do the performing and you do the audiencing and that there's a difference?

HH

That is a key part of the problem to me...those who support booing and boorish audience behavior don't seem to understand that at all.

You do understand that they do the performing and you do the audiencing and that there's a difference?

HH

Don't forget who pays the bills.

It isn't always the customers who complain and stay that kill a business, it's those that just leave that kill it.

Why are those who feel compelled to not support being put in the same group as those who act boorishly?