2008 Show Music...Less than Thrilling

Hi All,

Just a quick background where I come from,

2005 Real Good musical season

2006 A letdown compared to 2005

2007 Much better than 2006

2008 So far....a letdown...maybe worse than 2006

So I watched the simulcast from Madison this past weekend and was disappointed and frustrated with what the corps musical design teams have come up with.

It really comes down to one question (For me). What is it with the "DARK and DISSONANT" show music? Folks....this stuff has been presented SOO much in the last 5+ seasons. Enough is a enough. I mean a show here or there with a "Dark" approach doesn't bother me a bit. I love moderation. But the major focus on it has been driving me mental. I mean...is this all these so called Genius ( :worthy:) designers know? I think it was in 2006 when someone wrote a show review and stated in took until the 3rd performing corps that night to hear a major chord...... :rolleyes:

Now.....to be completely fair...there are a good handful of shows I have not heard yet. But....based on what I have read....it appears that many of them will be in the same boat as the ones I "have" heard.

My two favorites so far.......Crown and Blue Stars

I would agree that Blue Stars and Crown are about as far from a "dark" show as you can get, but who is dark besides BK and Phantom?

Actually, this is a great year for repertoire. Tons of entertaining shows with melody and thematic development.

I think 2008 is just as good as 2007, and far better than 2005 or 2006.

Just go to the website where we're not supposed to link videos and check out Phantom's show and tell me that is less then thrilling. I love the arrangements of Spartacus of what I'm hearing so far. I was a fan of the 82 show so..this is even way cooler to me. Phantom never disappoints.

However, there is some stuff I've heard that boggles my mind. (Not in a good way).

:rolleyes:

Just go to the website where we're not supposed to link videos and check out Phantom's show and tell me that is less then thrilling. I love the arrangements of Spartacus of what I'm hearing so far. I was a fan of the 82 show so..this is even way cooler to me. Phantom never disappoints.

However, there is some stuff I've heard that boggles my mind. (Not in a good way).

:rolleyes:

Just checked out some of the Phantom clips on the place-that-must-not-be-named. Brilliant stuff!!!!

Hi All,

Just a quick background where I come from,

2005 Real Good musical season

2006 A letdown compared to 2005

2007 Much better than 2006

2008 So far....a letdown...maybe worse than 2006

So I watched the simulcast from Madison this past weekend and was disappointed and frustrated with what the corps musical design teams have come up with.

It really comes down to one question (For me). What is it with the "DARK and DISSONANT" show music? Folks....this stuff has been presented SOO much in the last 5+ seasons. Enough is a enough. I mean a show here or there with a "Dark" approach doesn't bother me a bit. I love moderation. But the major focus on it has been driving me mental. I mean...is this all these so called Genius ( :worthy:) designers know? I think it was in 2006 when someone wrote a show review and stated in took until the 3rd performing corps that night to hear a major chord...... :rolleyes:

Now.....to be completely fair...there are a good handful of shows I have not heard yet. But....based on what I have read....it appears that many of them will be in the same boat as the ones I "have" heard.

My two favorites so far.......Crown and Blue Stars

I keep hoping that Jazz will make a comeback as the music of choice by drum corp. What I can't figure out is why a corp doesn't break away from the dark and dissonant show music trend of the last 10 years. I can't stand todays "music to kill yourself by" shows. Back in the day, each corps wanted to be unique & different...classical, jazz, spanish, showtunes, etc...

Maybe it's time for the Madison Scouts to return to jazz & spanish tunes...& maybe start a new trend!

I don't think it's so much an issue of "dark" music... but disjointed. There is no more musical flow. No (musical) development. No build-ups. No pay-offs. And there's only so many rotating boxes that can keep me engaged/entertained. As an arranger myself -- I think it's still possible to develop entire pieces of (melodic) music in a modern/contemporary style that can challenge the audience AND entertain it.

That being said, I'm not very happy with what I've seen this year. With the exception of Crown...

From what I've seen so far, there's some really good material out there this year: Bluecoats, Crown, Blue Stars, BD, SCV, and I can't wait to see Phantom.

It ain't all showtunes, but it's far from a bad selection at all.