All Girl corps

I was looking through my 97 DCI program, and it had scores from all the past DCI quarters, prelims, etc. I noticed there used to be alot of All-Girl drum corps, in fact, they had their own division. I know the Bandettes were an all girl corps fairly recently, and they seemed to have disappeared, other than doing parades still the last I heard.

But what actually happened with the all girl corps? Did they all just fold, so DCI discontinued that part of the competition? Or did DCI eliminate that part of the competition, so they had nowhere to perform?

I haven't seen any discussion on this before, so please forgive me if this topic has been discussed before.

Edited by Melissa Sampson

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was looking through my 97 DCI program, and it had scores from all the past DCI quarters, prelims, etc. I noticed there used to be alot of All-Girl drum corps, in fact, they had their own division. I know the Bandettes were an all girl corps fairly recently, and they seemed to have disappeared, other than doing parades still the last I heard.

But what actually happened with the all girl corps? Did they all just fold, so DCI discontinued that part of the competition? Or did DCI eliminate that part of the competition, so they had nowhere to perform?

I haven't seen any discussion on this before, so please forgive me if this topic has been discussed before.

The CapitalAires (all girls) offically folded as did the Madison Jr. Scouts (all guys) and then they reorganized into Capital Sound.

I thought about this also some time ago. I was pecking around the From The Press Box site and remembered that there use to be a whole division for all-girls corps. Here is a listing of the prelims scores from 1976 DCI Championships in Philly. Yes, there was even a prelims and finals for the all girls division. I remember that St. Ignatius and The Capitolaires were pretty darn good. Especially the CapitolAires..... and not just becasue of their low cut blouses :thumbup: :

8/18

Philadelphia, PA

All-Girl Prelims

1 Saint Ignatius 72.30

2 CapitolAires 70.20

3 Firettes 66.70

4 Ventures 64.40

5 Jeanettes 62.60

6 Saint John's Girls 58.35

7 Mello Dears 54.30

8 Socialites 53.00

9 Belles of Saint Mary 51.65

And I know there were many more but probably due to money they all didn't travel to compete. In the midwest alone, I know there were about 5 or 6 at the time.

Why didn't they last? I am sure it is the same for any other corps; money..... and the numbers just weren't there in this, unfortunetley, male dominated activity. Maybe not so much now, but most certainly back then.

I always got the feeling it was become they couldn't be competitive enough as an all girl unit.

I remember when Les Chatelaines decided to accept males and eventually became Connexion Quebec ( I even marched with them in '87) - but it wasn't the same.

I miss Les Chatelaines - they were something else!

Later,

Mike

Edited by Guardguy89

I thought about this also some time ago. I was pecking around the From The Press Box site and remembered that there use to be a whole division for all-girls corps. Here is a listing of the prelims scores from 1976 DCI Championships in Philly. Yes, there was even a prelims and finals for the all girls division. I remember that St. Ignatius and The Capitolaires were pretty darn good. Especially the CapitolAires..... and not just becasue of their low cut blouses :thumbup: :

8/18

Philadelphia, PA

All-Girl Prelims

1 Saint Ignatius 72.30

2 CapitolAires 70.20

3 Firettes 66.70

4 Ventures 64.40

5 Jeanettes 62.60

6 Saint John's Girls 58.35

7 Mello Dears 54.30

8 Socialites 53.00

9 Belles of Saint Mary 51.65

And I know there were many more but probably due to money they all didn't travel to compete. In the midwest alone, I know there were about 5 or 6 at the time.

Why didn't they last? I am sure it is the same for any other corps; money..... and the numbers just weren't there in this, unfortunetley, male dominated activity. Maybe not so much now, but most certainly back then.

Thanks! I marched that year.

I don't remember what year (76 - 78) put there was a after DCI show that we were at with the Cavies and I think it rained so it was just a standstill - horns and drums only - anyway our drumline beat the Cavies! Whoo Hoo! Sorry that's just one of my memories.

They weren't that low cut!

CapsStateStreet-1.jpg

Edited by lnavis

I believe the Bandettes were the last active all girl corps. Mary Wilson, their director, was really the life blood of that corps. They had some very good years in the late 80's and early 90's. Capitolaires were one of the last all girl units as well, but as mentioned earlier they were disbanded to form the Capital Sound.

Personally I miss the all girl component of the activity, but I think this is just another example of the activity's hardships over the past several decades. I'm sure money was a problem with most of the corps, but I think more so for the all girl corps was membership. I know the Bandettes and Capitolaires struggled with membership the last few years of competition for each unit. Recruiting was tough because they could only offer a program to half the band class.

I think some of the problem comes from the fact that corps aren't as community based as they used to be.

Ventures were around and successful for some time, winning Division II in 89 (I think they won some other years as well, but I can't recall off hand). In the mid-90's the merged with Kiwanis Kavaliers.

Ventures are still around as a very successful winter guard.