Beverly, MA 7/2

First of all, thank for your comments about the Crossmen.

But, I want to address what is really the problem with the narration, in my opinion.

When we evaluate a musical program or a visual program, we are very critical of the design and the arrangements. For instance, If a horn arrangement isn't particularly well written, the corps suffers for it in both audience reaction and scores. If it's not performed well, the corps also is marked low.

If drum corps is venturing into audio and visual storytelling, it also should be evaluated on the critical basis that we evaluate plays, TV shows, or movies. Instead of an arrangement, we now have a script. Instead of horn playing, we now have acting. Instead of general effect, we now have the question of whether the characters come off as realistic.

Is the storyline believable? In my opinion, no.

Is the script good? I think it's appallingly bad. This person, Sarah, doesn't talk like anyone I know or anyone that comes off as real. I use the example of the segment in which she talks about her career in advertising. I work in advertising. I've know women with families who work in advertising. No one talks like this or describes their career in that way. It rings false and that's how most of the script comes across. I decribed it elsewhere as a Lifetime movie as written by an 11-Year old or a story of life written by someone who hasn't lived one yet.

I don't believe for a second that Sarah is a real person.

I could also discussion the execution of the reading of the script, but you get the idea.

You say what that the point of the show is that the external cannot bring happiness. That's a very preachy thing as if we are getting a lecture from the pulpit. The subject of what makes us happy is highly individualistic.

If a drum corps wants to enter the world of script-writing and play-acting, the execution of both better be up to the execution of other aspects of the show. In the Cadets case, it isn't. I have serious doubts that the football field is even the forum to attempt it. It's just not what we are good at.

I couldn't agree more with your post on the narration and the poor presentation of it. If the musical, visual and guard portion of the Cadets was at the level of the narration, I think that they would be scoring about a 65. What I think is the big shame about the Cadets show is that all the amazing work of the performers and the designers is totally eclipsed by the amateur narration. Too bad!!!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But, I want to address what is really the problem with the narration, in my opinion.

When we evaluate a musical program or a visual program, we are very critical of the design and the arrangements. For instance, If a horn arrangement isn't particularly well written, the corps suffers for it in both audience reaction and scores. If it's not performed well, the corps also is marked low.

If drum corps is venturing into audio and visual storytelling, it also should be evaluated on the critical basis that we evaluate plays, TV shows, or movies. Instead of an arrangement, we now have a script. Instead of horn playing, we now have acting. Instead of general effect, we now have the question of whether the characters come off as realistic.

Is the script good? I think it's appallingly bad. This person, Sarah, doesn't talk like anyone I know or anyone that comes off as real. I use the example of the segment in which she talks about her career in advertising. I work in advertising. I've know women with families who work in advertising. No one talks like this or describes their career in that way. It rings false and that's how most of the script comes across. I decribed it elsewhere as a Lifetime movie as written by an 11-Year old or a story of life written by someone who hasn't lived one yet.

I could also discussion the execution of the reading of the script, but you get the idea.

You say what that the point of the show is that the external cannot bring happiness. That's a very preachy thing as if we are getting a lecture from the pulpit. The subject of what makes us happy is highly individualistic.

If a drum corps wants to enter the world of script-writing and play-acting, the execution of both better be up to the execution of other aspects of the show. In the Cadets case, it isn't. I have serious doubts that the football field is even the forum to attempt it. It's just not what we are good at.

What a great point of view on narration. I couldn't agree more. If it is part of the show, then it should be judged accordingly. There should be a level of quality to the script in content, context and presentation. I am not a fan of narration especially when it is included in an "artful" presentation like the Cadets choose to bring to the field each year.

As an aside; is what we see brought to the field in shows truly "art"? Or is there an ongoing effort, supported by DCI, to make me believe I am being presented with art?

Getting back to narration, a problem I have is that I don't feel like I need to have a show explained to me through narration or storytelling. I don't see a full explanation of a piece of art at a museum. I don't look at a painting of a pasture with flowers and have a written description next to the painting, telling me it is a painting of a pasture with flowers. Maybe not the best analogy but you get my point I hope. You shouldn't have to explain what your show is.

Besides, like I have seen written on this board before, I go to shows to be entertained by drums corps. Not pseudo theater. It seems that people like GH and show designers , very full of themselves, need to enlighten me. I resent that. I feel that these types of shows are brought to the field for as a very self serving production for these same people.

I want to see kids march their butts off, play their heads of, toss, spin & twirl flags, rifles, sabers and any other creative and innovative visuals they can dream up. Entertain me and excite me. I'll go to museums, theater aned libraires for the enlightenment. That would be my choice.

Thankfully the daily thunderstorms Boston has been having for the last week wrapped up before the start of the Beanpot show at Endicott College in Beverly, MA. The night was about perfect with clear skies and about 70 degrees.

Some thoughts before I give my review:

- What is up with Boston's scoring inconsistenies? They went up 4 points in one night and are up 6 points from Saturday. The 77 IMO was deserved.

2nd Boston, 77.0

Like Crossmen I like the new direction Boston has taken this year. They have maintained their traditional aggressive style but mixed in some new contempory sounds and have a kick A** visual program. 'King Fisher' is one of my favorite tunes of the season. The reprise of the 2001 theme was one of the loudest hit I have heard for quite a while. Brass has a bit of a rough sound at times but it may be endurance related. Percussion is a strong point. Expectedly Boston was the first corps to lift the crowd onto it's feet as 'Conquest' made it's appearence in the last minute. Guard had some nasty weapons drops and dances all during the ballad when the music cries out for a field filled with silks. Drill design keeps the corps between the 30's most of the show. Overall a definate improvement over the last several years and they should see a bump up at least several places come finals if they can clean without pulling out the firemens hose.

The link to this topic will explain the score issue:

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/inde...=113830&hl=

Have a nice holiday!

Good review by the OP, I thought.

I found myself in agreement on much of his comments.

As for The Cadets, I agree the female narrator as much as she trys, is simply not believable. It's not her fault. And it's not the controversial use of narration that makes this not work..... at least for me anyway. On so many levels, the message as constructed and attempted to be conveyed in a coherent ,compelling, and convincing manner fails in that attempt. The Girl speaks unconvincingly about marriage, divorce, job changes. And she can't be expected too. Thus, the conversation is not sympathetic. It is emotionlesss. It is trite. The words seem empty and hollow, with confusion, not optimism, nor even insight or clarity achieved at the end. The typical audience member is as confused as the messenger at the conclusion of the Cadets show. Fittingly, to the Cadets credit, there is much dissodance and angst sounds in the brass line of the Cadets this year. It's done superbly, and the performers in this Corps are amazingly talented and it shows. Unfortunately, the Cadets vehicle for the expression of their theme " the Pursuit of Happiness " might have been more aptly phrased as a theme about " The Pursuit of Hoppiness " as the show theme misses it's mark on so many levels, except in the brass, percussion, guard performance from a technical profiency level which is superb.

I was there and will share a few observations.

The show setting was neat so close to the seacoast. I was a little underwhelmed by the seating with relatively few seats on the 50 (which was my vantage point) being compressed by the pressbox. There was no good high view with only about ten rows of seats in that area and this left some of the drill maneuvering a mystery (e.g. the smiley face ending of The Cadets show). Field lighting was on the dim side.

The corps:

Teal Sound was my first time viewing and now I know what teal is! An impressively large corps with a a lot of young players and a nice, but less than mature sound

Jersey Surf is another corps with good numbers and a more dynamic presentation. They looked like they were enjoying themselves. Book was a little confusing and disjointed for me. I wish them well on their World Class aspirations. It looks like they have the raw materials.

Raiders had some significant ensemble issues which were "in your face" with a confident, but raw presentation. They reminded me a little of many drum corps of old...bombastic, but crude. They catch your attention, but need to work on fundamentals like playing in tune.

Citations presented a very refined musical performance displaying some good musicianship. Obviously some well guided and competent players. I am new to the Burlington area and was interested to see what they had to offer. Drumming was a weak point. Now, my son is a drummer, if I could only get him interested in marching...

Spartans are having a weak year, but making a valiant effort. I agree that it does indeed take a lot of courage to go out there and try to make it happen with 15 horns. Drum line is strong. I hope the future smiles upon them.

Crossmen seem to be coming along nicely with their reorganization. A large corps with a very nice presentation. They seemed to shine with the crowd appreciation extended. I agree that they could be a dark horse as a finalist. Keep up the good work! I loved the attitude of their drum major with her strong, eyes averted salute.

Boston Crusaders They presented some killer exciting drill moves with breakneck speed cross throughs. I like their "Neocosmos" show concept and enjoyed the chrome art deco guard attire straight out of Buck Rogers and Flash Gordon. Not all of the show reached me, but I think it will grow on me. I liked the staging of the "Also Sprach Zarathustra" opener which was a drum corps fan's delight. The "Conquest" fanfare tag at the show's end was a nice treat and well integrated tribute to a proud past tradition. The crowd showed them some well-deserved love.

The Cadets here we go again...testing the frontiers of drum corps performance acceptabilities. I thought their musical "stage play" (completely revolving about a center field stage with two actor/narrators) was more sophisticated and closer to successful than their past attempts. Like many, I have problems with the overbearing literalness of narration as being primary and overshadowing the more abstract and subtle depictions that music affords. Granted they have taken on a very ambitious theme, "The Pursuit of Happiness", for an eleven minute show. Hence, for me it was not surprising that the female actor came across as shallow and contrived as a means to try to push the audience's musings through such a complex subject. I think that I got it...that happiness is not something passively imbued onto the individual, but something which must be actively assumed...did I?!

The energy level of the performance was exhausting to behold. I felt that they were the ONLY well balanced soprano brass sound of the night. The other units' sound was entirely too alto for my tastes. After all, we did used to call them "Lead Sopranos" for a reason.

Although my wife and I had listened to the Cadets C.D. which has their show with and without narration,we decided to withhold judgement until we saw the show.

Last night (7/05) we did.

We could not agree more with the comments on the narration not working on any number of levels.

Rather then repeat what others have said, let me give you a few comments from people who were sitting around us in the "VIP" seats.

"George just can't help himself"

"What a waste of talent"

"Get rid of the stage and narration and you'd have great show"

"Oh God,not more talking"

After the show one woman said after every sentence she was praying they were done,but no.

Several Cadets "staff "members (At least they had Cadets I.D.'s) were sitting around us during their performance and they got an earful.We heard more then one perosn say "Don't blame me".

This was the Cadets "home" show,but Carolina and Boston got the biggest ovations for competing corps.

Neither my wife or I marched or are music majors.I'm an engineer and she is a nurse.We may not know all of the "fine points" or terminology of drum corps but we've been following the activity since the late 1970's and we have seen what works.

No one needed to explain Carolina's or Boston's shows and good drill is good drill.

Now we have a question.From what we could see,the 2 people on the stage weren't doing the narration.That seemed to be coming from behind screens on the sideline.The question is,do the performers and narrators "count" as corps members.We would think they should,especially since the female characater does go on the field at the end of the show.If they do,it seems like a waste of spots in the corps.

My problem with it is this: (I saw the show at Clifton last night)

The opening lines talk about a woman who is diagnosed with breast cancer. While the woman's struggle is admirable and it's a good lesson to teach the kids - that if they fight throughtout their lives they can find "happiness", is it really necessary to base a drum corps show on this topic? The dialogue gets somewhat detailed and "shocking" as it goes along and let's face it - we go to shows or perform to "escape reality" of everyday life!

I love the Cadets show this year! :tongue:

You say tomayto, I say tomahto.

Edited by WMC85

When I watch a soap opera, I don't believe for one second any of those actors are real. When I watch TV shows that try and portray my profession I always sit there and wonder where the heck they got their storylines come from. "That character just isn't real, that would never happen because I'd get fired and I would never say that because it's not professional etc." However I take it for what it is, a 30-60 minute soap opera. It's entertainment, it's a show, it's escapism, it's c**p - call it what you will. My idea of entertainment will differ from others.

In my humble opinion the Cadets' storyline is believeable, because I believe there are people out there like "Sarah". She might not be a person you can relate to, but there will be others who can.

For me, this whole show is about triumph over adversity. That is how I choose to interpret it.

As for judging the execution of narration, storylines/script, acting etc it is a valid point, but I think that's just wishful thinking on your part! Perhaps if the Cadets got hammered for bad acting or a script that sucked they'd get penalised, right? Then they'd review their postion on the whole narration issue and decide not to use it, right? I admire the Cadets organisation even more because year on year the kids return and continue to be on top of their game, despite being the most talked about and flamed corps out there. Kudos to them.