Just an observation...

Couldn't have said it better myself, Dale.

As for the Blue Devils show THIS year, I'll at least say that the running fits with the theme of what they're doing. I struggle to remember another year where they did a visual program like this, and I believe I am safe in saying that ALL other years they have been in DCI they have been one of the more "traditional" corps in terms of marching their show as opposed to running. This year was just different for them because of the different concept.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Couldn't have said it better myself, Dale.

As for the Blue Devils show THIS year, I'll at least say that the running fits with the theme of what they're doing. I struggle to remember another year where they did a visual program like this, and I believe I am safe in saying that ALL other years they have been in DCI they have been one of the more "traditional" corps in terms of marching their show as opposed to running. This year was just different for them because of the different concept.

And The Cadets narration doesn't fit with the theme of what they are doing? :worthy:

I'm surprised nobody's brought up the amount of running that Crown and Phantom do in their shows.

Granted, it's jazz-running (or at least THEIR version of jazz-running), but still...

And The Cadets narration doesn't fit with the theme of what they are doing? :worthy:

I apologize in advance if I am misunderstanding the intent behind the smiley face, as I cannot tell if you're being sarcastic or not...

On the chance you're being serious (sort of), the problem I have with The Cadets narration is that it is NOT well-integrated into their show. Personally, I feel like I'm watching an episode of Oprah with the radio on in the background that gets turned up when the show goes to commercials. The narration attempts to explain the concept of happiness, but nothing the rest of the corps is doing matches up. I feel like it's two separate productions.

Last year, although I was not a fan of the narration, it better matched the visual and musical productions for the most part. As an example, when they started into the "day in the life of drum corps" section where they mentioned basics block, or pointed out that they would rather being doing a cool trumpet riff, both were immediately followed by or mirrored in the corps visual or musical. You SAW the basics block, you HEARD the trumpet riffs. When they explained how each section of the corps was like life (start with a foundation, build up, etc.) they layerd in the low brass, then mid-brass, then high brass. There was at least a logical connection between what they were SAYING and what they were DOING.

In fact, I honestly feel that the show would have been better received if not for the "In high school I didn't fit in"-ballad section. THAT section was exactly like what the show is THIS year...i.e. a section where nothing the rest of the corps is doing matches with what is being narrated to the audience. I feel like they could have used the color guard much more effectively to explain the concept rather than narrate it?

The reason I feel that way? Go watch the 1991 Cadets show. In that show, they use a male color guard member dressed like a little boy who desperately wants to be accepted by the rest of the group, but constantly gets denied, until finally, at the VERY END of the ballad, a girl comes over to him and takes him by the hand and leads him over to the group, and he skips and plays because he is so happy. Even watching the show on the Legacy DVD's, you can hear the crowd cheer for that moment. No narrative necessary, just complete understanding due to excellent execution by people who were totally invested in the performance.

Now, take that and apply it to last year's show. You could have easily had a color guard member, or a brass player "sulking" around the field, being denied the friendship they desire, the sense of purpose they crave, until someone hands them a trumpet, or a sabre/flag/rifle and brings them over to their respective group who accepts them and shows them where and with whom they belong, this activity called Drum Corps being the answer. I feel that something like that would have been tremendously more effective than what was done.

THIS year's show is totally devoid of that kind of connection/integration between what the corps is doing and what it being spoken.

Or perhaps that's just me.

Edited by pags

Because narration (in drum corps, at least) takes no special talent, or skill............nor is there any measure of a challenge to one's endurance....and it distracts from the brass, percussion, and EVEN the color guard that people came to the show to see/hear. I realize that I have made exceptions to my personal annoyance of narration not hindering my enjoyment of a corps show..........there are only 2 such exceptions for my personal tastes and I know WAY more than two corps have tried it in the past, and are trying it this year.

I'm surprised nobody's brought up the amount of running that Crown and Phantom do in their shows.

Granted, it's jazz-running (or at least THEIR version of jazz-running), but still...

Jazz Running is still marching in my book. Also, I should point out that I am not opposed to BD or Cavie's 'running' as it has/does contribute to their programs.

My point is to address why the Cadets unorthodox programming is such a lightening rod, whereas, other Corps seem to not be maligned at all for 'non-traditional' design.

Just food for thought.....

Jazz Running is still marching in my book. Also, I should point out that I am not opposed to BD or Cavie's 'running' as it has/does contribute to their programs.

My point is to address why the Cadets unorthodox programming is such a lightening rod, whereas, other Corps seem to not be maligned at all for 'non-traditional' design.

Just food for thought.....

Jazz running is also 'marching' in the rule book. Recently, the Cadets' brand of 'innovation' has been rule changes, as opposed to finding new and creative things to do inside the existing rules.

Edit: The word 'recently' is very important to my statement.

Edited by RsD

Hi, this is just an observation, but it seems that much hoop-la has been made about The Cadets narrative shows as somehow being out of character with the True Identity of Drum Corps.

Why do so many people think that is the case when other Corps have members running 'not marching' in an attempt to 'risk ubsurdity' I guess, or portray Samuris?

My question is the following: Are Cadets blemishing the musical aspects of DCI anymore than BD/Cavies are the Visual?

Talk amongst yourselves...

Nice attempt at deflection to your corps closest competitors, but you and I both know that character portrayal or even running on the field without much (or any) technique involved has been a lot more commonplace in drum corps history than amplified spoken word. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Cadets portrayed a picnic in the park back in 1991. And airmen in flight in 1992. And knights in battle in 1993. They also had a psychedelic Alice in Wonderland show complete with characters in costume all over the field in 2006. In addition, they have consistently utilized the "freeform" drill maneuver in their shows through the years where members "run" around scattered with little to no marching technique involved and then make a form from out of nowhere. So what really is your point here? Is it that the criticism that the Cadets are receiving is out of proportion with other corps? Yes, I would agree. But I'm also not naive enough to think that they don't know exactly what they're doing when they take on shows with elements they know to be controversial. And like it or not, amplified spoken (or sung) words, while I have no inherent problem with it and have found that some of it has worked pretty well...and other times not so well...is something that most drum corps fans are simply not used to yet and that's just the way it is. In five or ten years? Who knows? Maybe they will be more accepting of it. But regardless of your position for or against, you have to acknowledge that it's a controversial issue. The Cadets know this. They know what they're doing and they will have to live with the consequences of those program choices. Criticism, even excessively so, is part of that. Right or wrong.

Members running to a set (either a straight run or a jazz one) is WAY different than being preached at by narration.

Members running to a set doesn't insult my intelligence and condescendingly presume that I can't figure out the program based on what I'm seeing and hearing (musically)

Members running to a set doesn't make me sit on my hands or not give a standing O at the end of the show

Members running to a set doesn't make me want to leave the stands

Members runnning to a set doesn't make me cringe

Members running to a set doesn't constitute the main portion of the show, relegating the music almost to background noise

Members running to a set doesn't drive away long-time fans

Even narration itself doesn't always do the above...if used IN MODERATION (07, Crown, Bluecoats, Dutch Boy, 05 Cadets)....but when it's pretty much constantly in your ear (07 Cadets, and from what I'm reading , 08 as well) it almost makes you want to rip out your own carotid artery just to make it stop.