Just an observation...

I can choose what I look at, but I can't choose what I hear.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"In my opinion, it is such a weak argument to criticize narration as making the corps 'look like a group of nerds'. Maybe the narration is intended to point out reality and things that are true, or at least provoke some thought.

The music, marching, and spinning can still be amazing, and set a drum corps apart from being as you say 'nerds'.

That response seems very ignorant to me.

-- Anthony "

Wrong. The argument is that the narration sounds like crap.

Edited by mohanico

"In my opinion, it is such a weak argument to criticize narration as making the corps 'look like a group of nerds'. Maybe the narration is intended to point out reality and things that are true, or at least provoke some thought.

The music, marching, and spinning can still be amazing, and set a drum corps apart from being as you say 'nerds'.

That response seems very ignorant to me.

-- Anthony "

That's becoming the rubber stamp response of just about every pro-narration pro-Cadets person when replying to an anti-narration anti-Cadets post. It is a weak effort to insinuate that you somehow hold the higher ground and the individual expressing their dislike for narration/Cadets is just ignorant and unintelligent. Narration is not inovative, it is not inherently creative, and I (along with many, many others) have yet to see a show where it has improved the product. Running in shows is nothing more than a necessary response to ever increasing demand in drill design. When forms develop and change faster, it is more exciting to watch and increases GE. When narration happens, your mind is ripped from the music and visual and forced to focus on something that is completely out of place in drum corps. It has the exact same effect as having some annoying *sshole sitting behind you at the show who just won't shut up.

There were a couple instances where narration has been done tastefully, but certainly not by the Cadets. The best example I can think of is Bluecoats '07 (FREEZE! You have the right to remain silent!)

Hi, this is just an observation, but it seems that much hoop-la has been made about The Cadets narrative shows as somehow being out of character with the True Identity of Drum Corps.

Why do so many people think that is the case when other Corps have members running 'not marching' in an attempt to 'risk ubsurdity' I guess, or portray Samuris?

My question is the following: Are Cadets blemishing the musical aspects of DCI anymore than BD/Cavies are the Visual?

Talk amongst yourselves...

Do BD or Cavies spend 1/3 of their show running?

Yeah. Running instead of marching is over the top, but it's still body movement. Corps have been doing wacky visual moves since the 80's, running for short bursts instead of marching is nothing that crazy. And for me personally, it's not the fact that Cadets are using narration. It's the CONTENT of their narration. It is SO LAME and completely portrays the corps as a huge group of nerds. "When I was in high school, I didn't really fit in..." Wow Cadets! THAT'S how you're going to attract new people to the activity on ESPN2, make DCI look like a bunch of dorks!

I initially fell in love with drum corps because it was like marching band but "cool". Members looked bad### in their uniforms instead of ackward like high school bands. Their visuals were sharp and angry, it was "hardcore" and it really made it possible for me to justify my love for the marching arts to my friends. Now the Cadets... ugh. If they want to use narration then use it to do something AWESOME instead of doing h.s. band shows from the 90's. There is NOTHING innovative about these Cadet shows, they have been done by hundreds of marching bands over the past 20 years.

It's just disgusting.

Dude, seriously...you are my new best friend. This is EXACTLY my feeling as well!

Do BD or Cavies spend 1/3 of their show running?

Not sure, but what does that have to do with anything?

Hi, this is just an observation, but it seems that much hoop-la has been made about The Cadets narrative shows as somehow being out of character with the True Identity of Drum Corps.

Why do so many people think that is the case when other Corps have members running 'not marching' in an attempt to 'risk ubsurdity' I guess, or portray Samuris?

My question is the following: Are Cadets blemishing the musical aspects of DCI anymore than BD/Cavies are the Visual?

My mother absolutely hates (HATES) all of the running around. Her number one complaint. She doesn't like narration either (Way To Go Mom). I also dislike the ridiculous running. To me.......it adds up to being poor design.....

Now, take that and apply it to last year's show. You could have easily had a color guard member, or a brass player "sulking" around the field, being denied the friendship they desire, the sense of purpose they crave, until someone hands them a trumpet, or a sabre/flag/rifle and brings them over to their respective group who accepts them and shows them where and with whom they belong, this activity called Drum Corps being the answer. I feel that something like that would have been tremendously more effective than what was done.

Can you imagine the flow of tears from the eyes of audience members watching this happen, if the Cadets actually did it this way last year and ditched the microphones?

(I mean tears of being touched emotionally)

This post makes my night. It's pretty much what I'm trying to point out in my thread, but it isn't going to work my friend. People on this board want the right to bash the Cadets like rednecks want rights to guns. They don't care what they have to do to rationalize is, they're just gonna get it done (or "git'r'done" for some of you)

Members runnning to a set doesn't make me cringe

Is that because it really doesn't make you cringe, or because it's the Blue Devils and you'll worship anything they do so long as you're able to get in one more Cadets bash even if the OP is making a very good point?

I can choose what I look at, but I can't choose what I hear.

Umm, yeah you can, it's called Selective Hearing. Men do it to their wives all the time. How else can someone survive 60 years of marriage? Is it seriously that hard to hear narration AND the music?