Troopers

I like the uniforms and the traditions, but at the same time, I feel like trying to live up to "America's Corps" has become a one-way road for the corps, only due to the current interpretation. Other corps have made things hard on themselves by doing only jazz shows, for instance. Well- the gold rush is over, and no one is too gung-ho about "I've been workin' on the Railroad" unless you went to the University of Texas. To me, it seems as though the corps feels like it still has to live up to this Copland-esque idea. I feel like they've burnt out the "Americana" literature.

I've been arguing the last few years that Troopers need to become Badassery Cavies. The style and level of achievement that Cavies march is something to emulate. There's more than enough music out there, pre-composed or original, that could fit into that kind of a frame. We've now had two shows that fit into the Trooper's style that are completely different and don't fall back on the traditional songs of the past except for the homages. Musically there's plenty of room to play around, and if the corps can march it with badassery then it will work.

(Western Side Story, anyone?)

It's not a question of style, it's what you do with it.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's one of the primary things I expect out of the Troopers:

A CROWD pleasing show. The one thing I have always loved about the corps is that they seem to put the crowd first.

I was sitting down to my bowl of oatmeal last Sunday morning and had someone tell me to quit humming that middle tune in their show this year. Can you believe it!? I actually had a drum corps tune/melody stuck in my head.

I think it's critical that they retain their western identity, and I think they can do so and put a contemporary and competitive show on the field. This year is a prime example. Whether you like every element in their show or not, this is a show that has great flow and interest and if they had 30 guard members I think they just might be competing for a spot in finals.

There are certain corps with an identity and for the sake of the drum corps, I hope they retain their identity.

What do I expect from them?

A drum major full of Badassery.

Phantom DM: Oh! Look! I pull a baton out of my back *tee-hee*

Troopers DM: Yeah? I'VE GOT A FRIGGN' SWORD!

(Nothing but love for Phantom, by the way)

Anyway, I expect nothing but entertainment, class, and devotion to tradition.

So, basically, just keep it up Troopers!

Phantom DM: Oh! Look! I pull a baton out of my back *tee-hee*

Troopers DM: Yeah? I'VE GOT A FRIGGN' SWORD!

(Nothing but love for Phantom, by the way)

Anyway, I expect nothing but entertainment, class, and devotion to tradition.

So, basically, just keep it up Troopers!

I was there when Kilties Senior carried the claymore (I was the DM) that started the whole thing. Americanos started carrying a Spanish sword, Troopers started carrying the saber and even Nicole O'Leven from Pioneer carried some sword back then too! :thumbup:

Too bad they don't pass in review at retreat, because the sword salute and the man carrying it got all the attention and made the other DMs/Conductors rather nervous...except the man from Mad Town!

• 8 months later...
I've been arguing the last few years that Troopers need to become Badassery Cavies. The style and level of achievement that Cavies march is something to emulate. There's more than enough music out there, pre-composed or original, that could fit into that kind of a frame. We've now had two shows that fit into the Trooper's style that are completely different and don't fall back on the traditional songs of the past except for the homages. Musically there's plenty of room to play around, and if the corps can march it with badassery then it will work.

(Western Side Story, anyone?)

It's not a question of style, it's what you do with it.

Whoa, is this a coincidence or did you know that this was their show when you posted this?

Props.

I was sitting down to my bowl of oatmeal last Sunday morning and had someone tell me to quit humming that middle tune in their show this year. Can you believe it!? I actually had a drum corps tune/melody stuck in my head.

It's hard to get good help at the home these days, isn't it? :devil:

Everyone needs to read the next edition of the Long Blue Line newsletter. It has a lot of info about what's being talked about here.

Whoa, is this a coincidence or did you know that this was their show when you posted this?

Props.

Yeah, my prop was a crystal ball - it led me right to this page.

http://www.troopersdrumcorps.org/features/2009program.htm

And let me think a young officer against the wishes of his superiors and the rest of his "Troop," falls in love with a beautiful Shoshone woman who against the wishes of her family and friends and the young warrior to whom she is promised, falls in love with him.

I can't figure for the life of me where the basis for the horn charts might come from. Historically however, I'm thinking there will be some kind of altercation or stand off between the two factions.

Just talking off the top of my head, here and thinking that this is a version Shakespeare's Romeo & Juliette.

Yeah, that's it.

Puppet

Yeah, my prop was a crystal ball - it led me right to this page.

http://www.troopersdrumcorps.org/features/2009program.htm

And let me think a young officer against the wishes of his superiors and the rest of his "Troop," falls in love with a beautiful Shoshone woman who against the wishes of her family and friends and the young warrior to whom she is promised, falls in love with him.

I can't figure for the life of me where the basis for the horn charts might come from. Historically however, I'm thinking there will be some kind of altercation or stand off between the two factions.

Just talking off the top of my head, here and thinking that this is a version Shakespeare's Romeo & Juliette.

Yeah, that's it.

Puppet

I knew what the show was, but look at the date he posted it.

I've always wanted to see the Troopers perform a Spaghetti Western style show. For years upon years the Troopers were very "John Wayne" in regards to music and themes. I think it's time they darken it up and go a little "Clint Eastwood and Lee Van Cleef." Imagine a Troopers drum major taking the field looking like Angel Eyes!

I've always wanted to see the Troopers perform a Spaghetti Western style show. For years upon years the Troopers were very "John Wayne" in regards to music and themes. I think it's time they darken it up and go a little "Clint Eastwood and Lee Van Cleef." Imagine a Troopers drum major taking the field looking like Angel Eyes!

i love that piece. . .i hope Troop plays it in the future

Badassery is a great word to sum up Troop, but what i really want to see is Troopers in finals. . .this year!

Edited by mellbloo