The 20 most patriotic moments in drum corps

On this most American of holidays, the celebration of our independence, let's stage a cyber parade: a highly personal pass-in-review of the 20 most patriotic moments in drum corps! (We all know where this list will lead us, just enjoy the ride there.)

Grab a lawn chair, a soda in a coozie, a kid (at heart), and a flag to wave. The honor guard is in site.

Interestingly, the first three spots are held by one unit; a drum corps that is historic in its own right, but that has spanned the competitive spectrum with plenty of patriotism.

20. Blue Stars, 2006. Post 9/11 patriotism, especially in pageantry, has proved tough. But just two years ago, on the year of its return to World Class competition, the Blue Stars all but hugged audiences with its show "The Gift of Freedom." As American as the Midwest town from which it harks, and as Americana as a school youth choir, the patriotism was warm, the allegiance heart-felt, the effect caused a lump in the throat.

19. Blue Stars, 1970. Rewind to pre-DCI years and to the First Federal Blue Stars -- the corps' sponsor was a bank, yes -- for a completely different era, and in this offering, certainly a completely different expression of patriotism. The comedian Red Skelton had a beloved second career, that of composer and symphony conductor. The Stars presented his composition, "Reds White and Blue," a straight-ahead march that is infused with colorful bars of nationalistic homage.

18. Blue Stars, 1979. I admit this entry is a stretch, but I contend that if you give this over-looked a show a second glance, you'll see nothing but quality from top to bottom. The out-of-concert number, The Gershwin Brothers' "Strike Up The Band," began true to the original form, but screeched to a ballad tempo mid-song, which enveloped the soprano soloist musically and visually. The entire color guard, sporting the traditional Blue Star flag, circled tightly around, and then produced a mesmerizing wave.

17.Bluecoats, 1996. Canton's finest have been a populist corps for many years, but "American Celebrations" might have topped that list. A Fourth of July tribute, by way of "Yankee Doodle Dandy," was smack-dab in the center of this holiday celebration spectacular.

16. The Cadets, 2002. Fearing nothing but fear itself, the Cadets took 9/11 imagery by the throat, and wrestled it into "An American Revival." By show's end, replete with "America the Beautiful," haunting alarms and firemen in rescue uniforms, sequed into the modern version of the statue at Iwo Jima pose for chilling, but vilifying-to-the-attacks effect.

Continue reading "The 20 most patriotic moments in drum corps," on Field&Floor

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I did it....I clicked the link. Mr. Hill gives great reviews and I for one am glad he reaches back farther than three years when talking corps. All the way to 1959 in fact. Wish we could see some of these shows online, we'll just have to take history's word for it on how great these corps were.

HAPPY FOURTH! Off too have BBQ and watch a parade with a few corps in it.

I think that a lot of them can be prefaced by the words: "Troopers, you may enter the field, for competition!"

Well when I think Patriotic shows, Star Of Indiana 92 certainly should get an honorable mention. Great hornline and a few chilling musical moments.

As soon as I read the title of the thread, I thought '76 Madison Scouts!

As soon as I read the title of the thread, I thought '76 Madison Scouts!

Ditto!

I vividly remember 'the Scouts 'Iwo Jima' pose.

I've seen the others mention above, but '76 Scouts would be my choice!

Ditto!

I vividly remember 'the Scouts 'Iwo Jima' pose.

I've seen the others mention above, but '76 Scouts would be my choice!

The moment that stands out in my mind is when the corps REALLY opened up at the end of the song. I think they were in a company front, but they just let loose with that last chorus of Stars and Stripes.

And to think it saved their season from oblivion.

18. Blue Stars, 1979. I admit this entry is a stretch, but I contend that if you give this over-looked a show a second glance, you'll see nothing but quality from top to bottom. The out-of-concert number, The Gershwin Brothers' "Strike Up The Band," began true to the original form, but screeched to a ballad tempo mid-song, which enveloped the soprano soloist musically and visually. The entire color guard, sporting the traditional Blue Star flag, circled tightly around, and then produced a mesmerizing wave.

It was a baritone soloist--Tom Peterson. :thumbup:

Most patriotic moment?

Go to DCI Click on the DCI Fan Network, you don't have to be a member or sign up. Than click on the free "Happy 4th of July from DCI." Set your sound system volume to "FFFFFF"

Then come back here and thank me. :thumbup:

Edited by wvu80

Three additions:

1. Cadets 95 (the Rievers, a street parade segment and the original Cadets Iwo Jima...sensational)

2. Bluecoats 95 (the Homefront was patriotic from gun to gun)

3. Retitle the thread "...in Junior Drum Corps"

Any list of patriotic moments that doesn't include

(1)an Uncle Sam on stilts,

(2)an Armed Forces Medley including guard uniform changes,

(3) a moving tank blowing smoke out the nozzle,

(4) When Johnny Comes Marching Home with a field-size American Flag flying over the corps

(5) the Statue of Liberty to a company front (see Empire Statesmen 87,88, 89, 93, 96) is a Patriotic list that is missing a key player.

Patriotic was a Statesmen staple. This is where all the standing-oh's came from!!!