I saw a drum corps rehearsal today...

Times have changed, to be sure, but let's not confuse a quiet approach with coddling.

You don't always have to yell or abuse to get results.

But it sure is fun.

:tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :devil: :devil: :devil:

I have gone to Blue Devils rehearsals and have been astonished by how quiet they are. It's awesome. The members have been taught how to work together is a calm and professional manner, guided by the staff. I have gone to other rehearsals that are a bit louder and more intense. It all depends on the teacher.

I agree with you. But I think that we all just kinda strayed a little off topic with the coddling. I believe what we are seeing today with some of the drum corps (like you mention BD, and I've been to a few Bluecoats' rehearsals that do the same thing) is more of a positive reinforcement type of environment.

I had the "pleasure" of going through my ageout Summer with a drill sergeant who would stop at nothing to push us to the brink and it was not a good experience. He would track us for miles and scream at us during pre-show warm-ups that was totally uncalled for. At one point during the Spring when it was nice enough to be outside, he was tracking us so much that I just got fed up, stepped out of line, and threw my tenors to the ground. I probably overreacted though.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have seen Chris use both methods effectively!

Ahhh....but nothing...NOTHING beats Dave Carico taking a drag on a cig and telling you in a laconic tone "ok....now sopranos....at bar 25..."

It was amazing how he STILL did that the morning of the first alum performance last year....and we all fell right back into it!

Well....with the exception of when he had us circle up around him and said to play F Tuning at a soft volume.....then got it a FULL LOUD right in his face form the Devil AND Vanguard alums!!He left with a smile on his face (and riunging in his ears!)

My personal method is based on positive reinforcement. They are told what they've done wrong, given constructive criticism, and also told what they've done right. Both don't require constant repitition, just enough to push things in the direction you want them to go. I use a rather rapid pace to keep the messing around to a minimum and the focus on the plan. They always have to be "on" or they get left behind.

It's rare that I have to raise my voice, let alone yell outright. However, when I do they know I'm serious. (Ever notice how you tune out the teacher or instructor that yells all the time?)

Once at a high school I just put my sticks down, closed the music folder with my score, and walked out of the room. I took a seat in the office and opened up a magazine. The band director asked what I was doing. I told him, "Behavior modification." When they came to get me the converstaion went something like this...

Drummer: Coach?

Me: Yeah?

D: We're ready now.

M: Are you sure?

D: Yeah.

M: Really? Because this is a good article and I don't want to lose my place.

D: No, really. We're sorry and ready to go.

M: You're sure?

D: Yeah.

M: OK, let's go.

It turned out to be one of the best rehearsals of the year. I didn't have to yell. They felt bad because they let me down.

I have real problems with esteem-based education. Part of the experience should be learning how to deal with adversity and how to recover. Learning from mistakes can be very effective. Kids should never, ever, be advanced because they filled a seat for 9 months.

As someone else said, No Child Left Behind is dragging everyone down. The challenged kids should get more attention but not at the expense of the achievers. The kids that are passed through without any consequence aren't being helped. Many are functionally illiterate. (Just read some of the posts on DCP.) They get into the real world and can't understand why they don't get a raise for doing minimal work and warming a chair. Then when they don't get it, they bring a gun to work and shoot their boss.

I'm not afraid to give high school kids some responsibilities. In fact, they thrive on it. Spoon fed kids are bored kids.

Just my 2 cents...

Garry in Vegas

I asked about commands, and how important they were to parades. The response I got was that corps do not perform parades anymore.

Dutch Boy has already done eight parades since the beginning of June, and has one more this week.

The response I got was that corps do not perform parades anymore.

I was just looking at a bunch of corps websites for schedules...and ALL of them had 'parade' listed on their schedules. Cadets even made the Today Show marching in the Bristol parade...and even pre-season there were pics of them in a parade posted to show the new DM unis.

Since there is no retreat, or parades, there really isn't much point in learning interval/distance, or commands. But it's still a shame, IMO.

I wonder if the kids help each other out as well. I didn't see that happening, but who knows what happens after time on the field.

Even the band I work with learns commands and practices interval, dress and distance in basics block.

Are you sure?! Even my band rehearsals aren't that lax. Was this really from an upper tier drum corps?

I wish you guys wouldn't ask if I'm sure of what I saw. Yes. I'm sure. ...and, what's an "upper tier" drum corps?

Edited by apoch003

Please tell me how a push-up ever made you play your instrument better?

It's more about holding the horn, as opposed to playing it.