Funniest moments / bad ideas in a show

Well bad moment would be in 1988 when Suncoast recreated the Vietnam wall from their 1984 show and the pieces weren't in the right order. It didn't have quite the effect they were looking for.

A cool moment would be 1988 finals when for a split second the audience thought SCV had actually managed to make their entire corps disappear at the end of their finals show.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Uhh... yeah... I haven't heard of this one.

Okay ... Reader's Digest version:

It rained at the Dream that year. As it had in previous years, the prior "Wet Dream" being in 1974.

The corps typically didn't let the rain deter them, and would go on the field without their uniform jackets and headgear to perform.

Not the Bridgemen.

Someone, I believe it was soprano player (and future VK instructor) Gregg Clarke who came up with the idea of bucking the tradition and performing with uniform jackets and headgear, but without pants.

The notion swept through the corps like wildfire and, the next thing you know, Greg was pushing around a shopping cart collecting pants donations from the marching members. Jack Dames, the corps director, was somewhere else in the stadium at the time, so there were no objections offered.

During Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy, there was a trio of horn players who took their uniform jackets off for the trio. On this occasion, they played their trio in their undies ... They were briefs, not boxers, sorts of guys.

Crazy days. If a corps tried to pull that stunt today, it would probably prompt Congressional Hearings on the matter.

One more...a recent band show...a tribute to the Kennedy Assasination. Talk about bad taste! They even played Cronkhite's broadcast..and did a 'funeral' march to the Navy Hymn complete with casket! No one in the crowd knew what to do...just sat in stunned silence. I mean, you can't applaud anywhere in a show like that...

While that was pretty tasteless, nothing can possible top this on the list of all time worst marching music ideas...

Paris High School's marching band had an ambitious idea for a half-time show. "Visions of World War Two" presented flags and music from each of the warring nations. For Germany, the Texas school's band played "Deutschland uber Alles" while the color guard waved a Nazi flag. The show wasn't quite the hit the band expected.

It didn't help that it was presented at the start of Rosh Hashanah.

James

Edited by jfmcnab

Okay ... Reader's Digest version:

It rained at the Dream that year. As it had in previous years, the prior "Wet Dream" being in 1974.

The corps typically didn't let the rain deter them, and would go on the field without their uniform jackets and headgear to perform.

Not the Bridgemen.

Someone, I believe it was soprano player (and future VK instructor) Gregg Clarke who came up with the idea of bucking the tradition and performing with uniform jackets and headgear, but without pants.

The notion swept through the corps like wildfire and, the next thing you know, Greg was pushing around a shopping cart collecting pants donations from the marching members. Jack Dames, the corps director, was somewhere else in the stadium at the time, so there were no objections offered.

During Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy, there was a trio of horn players who took their uniform jackets off for the trio. On this occasion, they played their trio in their undies ... They were briefs, not boxers, sorts of guys.

Crazy days. If a corps tried to pull that stunt today, it would probably prompt Congressional Hearings on the matter.

Oh wow. That's hilarious!!! :tongue:

Worst moment: 2002 Magic when the quad guy went down and busted his head. The bad### got up and marched the rest of the show. He should've gotten a medal or something (in addition to the ring/gold medal they won that year)

My vote for baddest idea in the history of bad ideas would have to go to the 1985 Bridgemen's "Christmas in July" show ... Ouch.

Well...it was just a matter of time when this thing surfaced again.

I will add to this. After we reach the end of the "Christmas" presentation, we needed to get out of the elf outfits. Everything was Velcro'd together along the edge for "EASY Removal". HA!!!! We wore our regular uniform underneath them. So of course we couldn't just take them off behind a curtain, we need to sing a small rap song before we ripped them off and also danced a bit. "Sigh"!!!!

Some came off and some didn't. In the beginning of the season some people actually had them trailing behind them because they couldn't get them off in time.

Thanks for the memories!!! LOL

Edited by JKatzmellophone

Worst moment: 2002 Magic when the quad guy went down and busted his head. The bad### got up and marched the rest of the show. He should've gotten a medal or something (in addition to the ring/gold medal they won that year)

They didn't win the gold in 2002...

They didn't win the gold in 2002...

They won Division II then made finals. I saw that horrid bailout. I am surprised that there were not more, given how many times they performed during champ. week.

They won Division II then made finals. I saw that horrid bailout. I am surprised that there were not more, given how many times they performed during champ. week.

How did a Division I corp win Division II?

Edited by cmathis

How did a Division I corp win Division II?

Before '03, Mon, Tues, Wed used to be Div II/III championships and Thurs, Fri, Sat was for Div I and the top 5 from Div II/III championships could perform in the Div I Q'finals. Many times Div II/III corps would become top-21 Q'finalists (93 Crown, 92 S'wind, 93 Norhern Aurora, 99 patriots, 00 SCVC, etc.).