Has this ever happened?

My understanding with the Kiwanis issue, is that they sucessfully secured the performance rights and the arranging rights for the Beatles Show. It was the recording rights that they failed to secured.

Again, that is my understanding. I've been wrong before. Today. A lot.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My understanding with the Kiwanis issue, is that they sucessfully secured the performance rights and the arranging rights for the Beatles Show. It was the recording rights that they failed to secured.

Again, that is my understanding. I've been wrong before. Today. A lot.

They did secure the audio recording rights. It was the video recording rights that got them, hence there is no video of 2003 KK available (officially, at least).

I would assume the corps was still working out the kinks with licensing when the company decided to not have the song be performed period. To me, this is similar to BD's Stanford video/APD. The kinks were still being worked on. Now they have audio rights.

Edited by Coathope

I would assume the corps was still working out the kinks with licensing when the company decided to not have the song be performed period. To me, this is similar to BD's Stanford video/APD. The kinks were still being worked on. Now they have audio rights.

I guess that's also why BD used music from The Untouchables as their closer on their preseason CD. Either that or they decided to change the closer late in the spring and had to rush to get the rights taken care of.

Sometimes, tunes assumed to be in the public domain due to the default time limitations, are recertified by the writers, to extend their protection under the law,.............in reading the quote from the OP, I'll bet their in lies the problem,...........

it is the problems of the past, some that many of the posters cited, that are forcing the various associations to take a very strong stance on this issue,............and quite frankly, I don't blame them,.............

But hasn't there been recent years that have had corps even as late as Finals not being able to sell APD's, DVD's, etc. because of licensing issues? I don't think that they would ever be told "You can't perform tonight because the song isn't approved.", they just wouldn't be able to sell the performance. Right?

It is my understanding that you need permission to arrange the music in order to record and/or distribute. Selling doesn't come into play, without the permission you can't even record and give it away for free. The video aspect comes into play when you need permission to sync the audio to visual (ie writing drill and flag work) and record the work visually.

So, with permission to arrange you can make an audio recording, but if you don't have the sync thing covered you can't make a video or DVD of the show. An example is a band that buys the arrangements from a publisher (permissions covered by music publishers so they can play and record), the band then writes a field show and video records it. Without permission to sync the audio with visual the band can't sell videos or even give them to the members at the end of the season for free.

So yea, I think the corps could perform, but just not make recordings of the performance. On second thought, the crowd paid to see it, so maybe they couldn't even perform since someone is making money off the performance. What corps was told they couldn't perform due to licensing issues?

Edited by jonnyboy

An example is a band that buys the arrangements from a publisher (permissions covered by music publishers so they can play and record), the band then writes a field show and video records it.

another example is (as Kevin Gamin said) Kiwanis 2003...got performing rights, not video rights...not on the finals vids

The following scenerio actually happened last week.

On a day of a show, you get a call from DCI saying one of the songs in your show has been put on the protected list. You are not allowed to play the song in tonights competition. What do you do?

BTW, who did this happen to?

BTW, who did this happen to?

I'd like to know the details of why the song could not be performed. Was the show being recorded or shown via the internet and was that the tripping point? Or was it because the corps was being paid (appearance fee) the only reason.

And what exactly is a "protected list"? Is this a legal definition in the copyright jungle or just a term the OP used?

Yeah Gary, this is a mess, more convoluted than any unix system I worked on...... :tongue: Might have my retirement job lined up in a few years. :tongue:

Edited by JimF-3rdBari