Cadets explain the 2008 narration

Well, that was about what I expected. . .but, again, the "us against the world, re: the process of the artist" is kind of a tired bit now.

Until there's a show that incorporates the narrative element as a primary storytelling device successfully and in a new way, innovation is now seemingly directly in the hands of high school bands and winter drum lines.

That's cool for now, I guess.

Signed,

. . .one of the people who posts on the 20 page mistakes on Drum Corps Planet. :ph34r:

Man you guys are freakin brutal..and for no good reason. Look into more of what he's trying to explain instead of looking at all the negative.

Peace.

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To me, when a corp needs verbal words to tell their story, it means that their show design (both visually and musically) is not effective enough.

I almost hate to bring this up again ... but ....

I'm still bothered by the message itself -- that Happiness doesn't have to be pursued or worked at -- that it's simply there for the taking.

I posted much the same thing on Sound Machine after seeing them in Racine and Madison. If happiness was an easy to achive as snapping one's fingers, we'd all be happy as clams! There's a certain truth in the words, "'Tis a gift to be simple."

You have a point, but then I have to ask myself, how many of us here will actually give narration a chance, or will a show suck simply because it contains that element?

There's certainly a segment -- especially here on DCP -- that won't give the show a chance at all simply because it contains narration. But as George pointed out in his webcast 20% will hate narration no matter what, 20% will love it no matter what, and the 60% in the middle watches it and makes up their minds. I don't know how accurate his numbers are, but I believe the theory is correct in principle. I think his aim in this explanation is to try and get that 60% in the middle, of which I proudly put myself, to buy-in to the concept. As of the last time I viewed the show, however, I had (and still have) reasons for disliking the show that had nothing to do with narration.

You have a point, but then I have to ask myself, how many of us here will actually give narration a chance, or will a show suck simply because it contains that element?

I honestly don't think it's the narration in general that makes a show suck, it's the manner and extent to which it is used. Many world class corps have thrown vocal lines into their shows here and there in the past few years, and they certainly don't cause a show to instantly be labeled as "sucky." The problem with the Cadets narration is that it is written and acted in a way that sounds contrived and ineffective, and is the centerpiece of their shows (whether this is intentional or not, I don't know, but that's how it ends up happening).

Thanks for bringing your usual level of class to the discussion.

Look at the film , it was Hopkins that showed himself putting trash into the dumpster as he spoke about DCP, not me.

I was just trying to point it out to the Kool Aid drinkers.

I'm surprised that George thought everyone was so stupid they would not notice.

To me, when a corp needs verbal words to tell their story, it means that their show design (both visually and musically) is not effective enough.

The difference being that this show is SPECIFICALLY designed FOR narration. It wasn't just "I want to tell this story. Oh, wait! The show design isn't effective enough. I guess we need words." It's more like, "I want to use these words to explain this story, along with this music as well."

The difference being that this show is SPECIFICALLY designed FOR narration. It wasn't just "I want to tell this story. Oh, wait! The show design isn't effective enough. I guess we need words." It's more like, "I want to use these words to explain this story, along with this music as well."

Well, that's why the design is deeply FLAWED.

Drum Corps is the product, and the product is musical and visual. Cadets' show design reduces the corps to a support role for the narration.

It doesn't work.

"It's true. Americans are looking for happiness in material things"? Alrighty then.

Moving on...

First a webinar last week that *ahem* wasn't to explain the show... but it did, and now this?

Medeabrass put it the best way, "Narration for the narration."

I enjoyed the video. I have never been a big detractor or promoter of narration, but the Cadets have a right to do it, and it seems the judges don't see it as a distraction. My biggest worry when they do narration is that the mic's will cut out. Of course this could be applied to the pit as well.