Amazing Music

Stan Kenton's West Side Story :tongue:

I have 2000+ jazz CDs and can't believe I never had this one till now!

Very drum corps fan friendly, incredible brass arrangements.

Just had to share.

http://www.amazon.com/Kentons-West-Side-St...8846&sr=1-1

Stan Kenton's West Side Story :tongue:

I have 2000+ jazz CDs and can't believe I never had this one till now!

Very drum corps fan friendly, incredible brass arrangements.

Just had to share.

Gee, I just WISH some corps would do WSS someday on the field. :tongue:

Really...I have heard the Kenton WSS...it's a great album.

Pete and Conte Candoli on trumpet. Great LP!!!

Gee, I just WISH some corps would do WSS someday on the field. :thumbup:

Really...I have heard the Kenton WSS...it's a great album.

Many, many corps have played music from WSS over the years. 1970 we played at least 3 tunes from that show. We even re-enacted the knife fight scene on the field.

I seems to me, though - today's shows aren't long enough to do any justice to the score - it would have to be much to truncated.

And I agree, this Stan Kenton WSS just blows me away.

Puppet

Edited by Puppet

Check out the intro to "America" in Cadet's "West Side Story" in '84. Right after the singing, and after the bongos, just before the pit starts the tune. It's lifted straight from Kenton's album.

• 6 months later...

Cuban Fire!

Another great Kenton album I ony just acquired today. You gotta have this one.

I didnt realize that BD's version (Los Suertos de los Tontos) was an exact replica, even down to the note for note solos.

Edited by MadScout80

Kenton should get more props for all his work. His music and his band were incredible.

And, yes, he used mellophones.

Check out the intro to "America" in Cadet's "West Side Story" in '84. Right after the singing, and after the bongos, just before the pit starts the tune. It's lifted straight from Kenton's album.

I think it's great that you younger guys are still hot for the Kenton charts. Check out "Mellophobia" on which he used 16 actual mellophones - very cool.

Love Buddy Rich's WSS off of "Swingin' New Big Band" circa 1965. Sky did it in '75, but it would be tough to do it like Buddy.

Best WSS for Drum Corps? For my old ears - Cadets in 1984 - still my favorite DC show (yeah, I'm old) Jimmer is a god.

My other favorite WSS though (this one will get me in trouble) Des Plaine Vanguard playing "Somewhere" circa 1964 or so? I belive Hy did the chart. Oh my.

One other for anyone who hasn't stopped reading - Sunrisers 1965 - "Quintet" from WSS. Sasso and Steve Buglino on mello duet. Loved it to death. Used to sit there aat rehearsals and listen for hours and hours and hours. Sasso was a god, too... sort of old testament to Jimmer's new testament (can that get me in sensitivity trouble? Everyone knows I'm not goofing on actual religion, right? Just Drum Corps as religion?)