Scores Right Now

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't the listing for everyone else RADICALLY different than the last year?

OP, please show the rest of the picture.

I think the OP may only be concerned with the pack that his team is competing in i.e. Crown....if your corps grouping is not in that bracket of corps then its up to you to do the extra work and put it on here. So, when you complete the rest of the corps I will gladly view it because my corps will then be included. Some only care about the top 6 or 8--its called elitism, it come along with success.

Well, we just disagee on this then. No big deal. I can't think of another sport where the Semi's winner also won the Finals for 34 out of the 35 years. Upsets happen at a higher rate than this. Ask any trained mathamatician. They would tell you that the odds of this happening at this frequency, especially with 8 different judges from the Semi's to the Final's judging these completely dissimilar shows where the Semi winner also wins the Finals. I maintain that it's next to impossible if not mathematically impossible for such an occurance to occur with this degree of frequency result over a 35 year time span. It most certainly is a statistical anomoly ( in my opinion ). But you are free to disageee, and that's ok too !

Statistics only tell you so much about DCI, because of the vast disparities between groups. No amount of "having a good/bad show" will overcome the delta between the Blue Devils and Pioneer. The differences there were determined before the first note of the first rehearsal of the year.

OTOH, if you take the first and second place corps in a given caption at championships, they will usually be 0.1 or 0.2 apart, meaning that the judge thought they performed at a very similar level, but Group A was just a tad better. My impression is that within captions, there's a fair amount of flipping between the top two groups between semis and finals. IIRC, in 2006 Cavies took GE Music at finals and Phantom GE Visual, both flipped from the previous night.

If you want to run statistics to see if there's an expected variance, IMO, you have to do it at this level. When you sum up all the captions, a bunch of these +/- 0.1 changes can cancel each other out, leaving the overall placement unchanged, but that doesn't mean there was no variability in the scoring.

Edited by ShortAndFast

Brilliant argument there BRASSO. I have to agree with you on this. The people who are mad because you didn't include the figures for the corps that have NO chance of WINNING, are missing your point( IMO you were talking about the top 4-6 that may have a shot but still don't). Things are not judged on cleanliness. ( tic system is gone). So how can a corps be .1 or .15 away from the winner ALMOST always. A new judge didn't see things ANY differently? Really. I bet every one of us sees things somewhat differently, but not enough to cover .1?

Edited by 84skyrydr

Well, we just disagee on this then. No big deal. I can't think of another sport where the Semi's winner also won the Finals for 34 out of the 35 years. Upsets happen at a higher rate than this. Ask any trained mathamatician. They would tell you that the odds of this happening at this frequency, especially with 8 different judges from the Semi's to the Final's judging these completely dissimilar shows where the Semi winner also wins the Finals. I maintain that it's next to impossible if not mathematically impossible for such an occurance to occur with this degree of frequency result over a 35 year time span. It most certainly is a statistical anomoly ( in my opinion ). But you are free to disageee, and that's ok too !

Well the reason for that is because in other sports, one team has a direct bearing on how well the other team performs.

Now say the Blue Knights drumline could run out and tackle the Cavaliers trumpet section or something like that, then I think you'd see more upsets.

But we're in an activity where performances are completely independent of each other.

Actually there is no difference. Cadets passed Cavies last night with a 84.95. It's a been a few days for Cavies but their last scores was 84.75.

East Coast Inflation????? Sorry, had to :tongue::sad:

This is to me further evidence of the pointlessness of modern DCI. The idea that corps would line up as precisely like this with the same top threee year after year is absurd.

Not absurd...just reality. They usually get the best talent, have very experienced staff members and have great designers that get big bucks.