DCI Audience Survey

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone have the working link to the survey yet?

No. The links are unique for every person that got the email. Chances are if you didn't get the email, you probably won't get to take the survey.

Does anyone have the working link to the survey yet?

For survey results to mean anything, it's important to get a random sample of the base you want to survey. It's not random if a link that works is posted on DCP and anybody who wants to participate can jump in and fill out the survey once (or worse, repeatedly). So though it hurts to not be included <sniff> (I wasn't either), DCI is doing this the right way by randomly selecting a small proportion of their mailing list base and asking them to fill out the survey, and only allowing the selected people to fill it out once. So yes, a URL that's sent to a survey subject won't work once the survey has been completed once. You can see the survey, but your answers won't count.

They could be surveying a small random portion of their email list for a number of reasons. Likely they are trying to get a sense of the extent to which some of the changes they are contemplating, such as adding woodwinds, would hurt the existing customer base. If 90% of the base says NO!! to new instruments, they might think twice. If only 40% says NO!! to new instruments, then they may figure they'd add more new fans to replace the ones who hate it enough to leave. And so on. In asking about amplification, a change that's already been made, they may be trying to determine whether all the noise they hear on DCP and in emails to DCI and corps directors opposing it represents how most drum corps fans think.

Another reason a survey like this can be run is to give the person or people who ran it the ammunition to ram through whatever they want to do anyway. (I feel so used...) If DCI announces the results of only a portion of the survey, such as one or two questions, either to corps directors or to fans, this is likely why the survey was run: to give justification to something somebody already wanted to do.

I'd say this question: "Are shows too long/short?" is poorly worded, because some people answering are likely to interpret the word "shows" differently from others. Some people will take that to be asking about the length of a show like Drums Across The Rockies. Others will take it to mean a show like Phantom Regiment's 2008 production of Spartacus. So DCI can toss out the results of that question.

Edited by Peel Paint

Yeah, my bad. I guess it's tracking my survey by the number at the end of the URL I posted.

Dang it! I tried.

I agree with the above post though, DCI needs to get this survey out to people who haven't recently attended a show.

Sorry to hear that some "old timers" won't even come out to a show anymore. :thumbup: You don't know what you're missing! The concert sounds of todays' drum and bugle corps and the choreography in the guard are just amazing!

Oh, and to address Harrisons' response (hey!), we've had threads on here before about the topic. Music in schools and marching bands in general (the organizations that feed our activity) are dwindling at record pace nationwide. DCI is doing its' best to adapt to the changes and challenges of the 21st century. It's not at all the same environment it was in the 70s, 80s, or 90s.

Personally, I feel the activity is going to continue to shrink if the trends in music education continue. Very sad, since a lot of us alumni grew and learned so much during our drum corps years. Generations of kids after us may not have this privilege.

I DO STILL COME OUT! Been coming to shows since 1976. Not a typo. Not as long as some, longer than others. Anyway, I find today's shows do not kick my ### like shows used to. I wouldn't mind some sort of mixing of the styles. Longer shows with more developed tunes and even the fast drill in places, amping only the quiter pit instruments. I've told myself I'll give next year a chance and if it's as silly as the last few years with some of the shows, then I'm done. It's bad when I have to talk myself into coming out to shows every year.

Edited by Perry S

surveyTaken1.gif

surveyTaken2.gif

I did? I must be getting old because I don't remember taking it, but if you say so.....

I'm getting the same message. Guess I have to wait for next year....

IMO, until DCI figures out how to survey the many thousands of former drum corps participants and fans that refuse to go to shows and support the activity because they don't like today's shows, then they'll just be reaching mostly those that are happy with what's out there today thus severely skewing the survey and not convincing people to come back and support the activity. There is a huge, untapped market of former drum corps nuts out there.

I realize you can't put the toothpaste back in the tube. I'm not saying the activity should go back to 1971 (or fill in your own date here) but there could be ideas floated for changes that might result in a large increase in the numbers of former drum corps people brought back into the fold.

If you want a personal example then I'll use my family. Check out my credentials. Then consider my wife marched for 10 years and my father is a trumpet player who as a youth marched in 3 units at the same time (he marched the same parade 3 times in one day more than once), was a corps director, past president of a regional judges association and was on the sales staff of Fleetwood Records and Drum Corps News. Last week I thought that going to a DCI show in the next town would be a nice way for the family to spend a night together and greet old friends. My wife refused to go, my dad screamed bloody murder at the thought of "watching that (censored)" and my mother (she also marched as a youth) tried to throw me out of the house for agitating my dad. None of us went and I saved $200 for tickets and even more when food and souvenirs are considered. We had a very nice night without drum corps, thank you very much.

I think I'll go play one of my G bugles now.

P.S. I watched quarter finals in a theater and semi finals on the webcast on a wide screen TV last year so I've seen today's drum corps.

Not to single you out, but at what point (as in around what year) did your family decide that what corps were producing went from good to (censored)? Just something I have always wondered. Anyone else with these views is welcome to comment as well.

Another problem with this survey is it seems to only be offered towards an exclusive group of hardcore fans. Casual fans and potential fans aren't included. The expanded audience they are trying to capture does not have any input whatsoever.

I figure these results may be used by directors to support their arguments in the winter.

...or maybe the original poster is doing this survey for his own interest, because it's a strange site to be taking a survey...why doesn't DCI offer it on its own website?

Another problem with this survey is it seems to only be offered towards an exclusive group of hardcore fans. Casual fans and potential fans aren't included. The expanded audience they are trying to capture does not have any input whatsoever.

I figure these results may be used by directors to support their arguments in the winter.

...or maybe the original poster is doing this survey for his own interest, because it's a strange site to be taking a survey...why doesn't DCI offer it on its own website?

No, this survey is from DCI. They sent an email to random people on their mailing list, which makes me sure that every type of fan out there is included in this survey.

And the reason why all of you are getting that message when you try to take the survey from the links posted in this thread is because the links are personalized for whomever received the email. After they take it once, it can't be taken again.

As someone else said, it's intended to be a random survey. They may even had a target sample size that they were trying to meet.

I work in marketing research and Zommerang is a commonly used company for doing research. I've used them myself at work. They have some neat reporting capabilities. DCI would not be able to do such a thing on the fly.

That being said, your point is well-taken about it not getting the views of casual fans if a DCI email list was used to select the sample.

If random sampling was used, its a valid technique. Opening it up to anyone usually attracts the people with the most extreme opinions and skews the data.