Parking Lots?

I don't think I'm the only person that was extremely disgruntled after the DCI Orlando when I was NOT allowed into the lot with all the corps trucks and buses to see my friends.

In my 9 years around the activity, I've never once NOT been able to go into the lot by the trucks and buses. Now, this was my first time being a spectator at the Citrus Bowl for a show...is it just there that doesn't allow it, or are more show sites doing this now?

I don't know if it was DCI's decision or a miscommunication with the security at the Citrus Bowl, but this really put a buzzkill on the night. Hundreds of people were denied access, most of them just wanted to get to their cars! We had to literally walk around the ENTIRE bowl to get back to our cars.

Was this a scheme to FORCE fans back by the souvie trucks and DCI tent?

Fans were allowed to interact over by Crown and Cadets trucks/buses cause they were parked along a closed off road and not in the "lot."

I even thought about throwing on my Phantom member jacket to try to swindle my way even (even though Phantom was on the other side of the country that night) but then I saw other people getting denied with the same idea. We wanted to sneak in with the stage from the Cadets as it was being wheeled by, but there were already too many people pushing that.

The security definately had their RUDE caps on, they were yelling at people pretty hardcore. Even later in the evening, when half the corps' had already left and there were just a few people left, a buddy and I had to go into the lot to meet up with the Zildjian for something, and were given a hard time then as well.

Now, I'm all about the total fan experience at a show....and this killed it.

Sounds like over-zealous parking lot security to me. Jeez, give a guy a uniform and a whistle and suddenly they become "RoboCop." :tongue:

I hope this wasn't an intentional move by the contest directors or DCI. Even the NHRA knows very well that fan interaction keeps their sport alive and well. You can get right down next to the cars and the pits where they work on the cars at drag races, and very often the famous driver is right there, too!

These are drum corps kids... not celebrities. Closing off the parking lot after the show eliminates a huge part of the experience. :thumbup:

In all of my years in corps this is the first I have heard of this happening. Most corps have TONS of alumni, friends, and family at shows, and many stop by after the show.....I have many, many times.

I would write to DCI and ask for an answer.....see if it was at their request or something implemented by Orlando stadium people on their own. I would not be surprised if that stadium has had other events where the public is not allowed anywhere close to the performers' touring buses/trucks, especially at the Citrus Bowl.

I only have 2 possible reasons I can think of that this would have been requested. The nieghborhood close to the Citrus Bowl is not the greatest, and they may have had security concerns about the possibility of locals walking around in the lot with all of those vehicles and the possibility of vandalism/theft, or perhaps a problem in the past. Car lots are much easier to watch then those loaded with trucks/buses and equipment. The other possibility may have been this.....if most of the patrons had to walk through the corps vehicle lot to get to their cars, that is alot of pedestrian traffic to go through there....that would make it more difficult for the corps to load vehicles or move them right after the show. If either of these were the case, perhaps the answer would have been to keep people out of those lots before and during the show, but allowing them to pass through after the show, when the corps had personnel around their vehicles/equipment.

At any rate, I think asking DCI is fine, and I would be curious about the answer.....

GB

Well, first of all, it was great to have a major DCI event back in Orlando. It seemed to me that there were very few hiccups in putting on the event, all the corps had decent housing, and even the weather cooperated for the evening. The competition was awesome!

But, as those "in-the-know" complained when this show was initially announced, the Citrus Bowl isn't in the greatest neighborhood, and the parking sucks for pretty much everybody. Despite all of that, logistically, it seemed to work. I think the security in and around the stadium was appropriate - they weren't overzealous, they were doing their job - they kept out people who really didn't need to be around the buses and trucks. There were also quite a few corps members that came back into the stadium and congregated under the stands at the north end - that turned out to be the place to meet your friends, family, and former corpsmates.

Bottom line, drum corps is back in Florida! I guess that until this event gets relocated to a better venue, we local fans are willing to put up with some of these little issues, rather than driving at least 7 hrs to get to the nearest DCI competition.

Just sent DCI a letter with my concern, hopefully I hear back soon.

There needs to be a show at Tropicana Field, no worries about that show gettin rained out!

Just sent DCI a letter with my concern, hopefully I hear back soon.

There needs to be a show at Tropicana Field, no worries about that show gettin rained out!

I was thinking more along the lines of Raymond James. I love that stadium (and the Bucs). :thumbup:

The rent a cops denied me access to the lot also, and all I wanted to do was get to my car, quite literally 30 yards from the gate I was denied access to. I literally had to walk about a mile through the "hood" around the stadium to get to my car, when originally I was standing 30 yards away from my car.

Not good!

Bottom line, the Citrus Bowl needs to be torn down, its old, falling apart, and has no use!

Eh... the rather large fellow at the back entrance to the lot near the gas station saw me and stopped me from going in about 4 times. On the 5th time I was walking in with some people wearing their jackets, the guy saw me, looked down at the ground and shook his head, and didn't say a word.

Persistence is key my friends.

(I bet this wouldn't have happened if it was at UCF's campus stadium, as there are no areas that can be gated off like that :thumbup:

Edited by Carl306

This actually happened to me at the Winston Salem NC show in 1998 I believe. I was ######!!!! I tried to tell the rent-a-jerk that lots aren't private in DCI. But oh well...we snuck in the other gate anyway.

Some people just have nothing better to do.