Top Posters In This Topic

I found this Alaskan Heat.

Also this Alaskan Heat too.

paco.jpgakheat%20banner_registered_rev.jpg

I found this Alaskan Heat.

Also this Alaskan Heat too.

paco.jpgakheat%20banner_registered_rev.jpg

:grouphug:

His blog says they bought the CorpsVets wedge snares!

I guess it's for real.

Just a side note...back in the RAMD days, I made contact with someone that was serious about starting a drum corps in Alaska and I had some email "conversations" giving some advice and what not. Never heard back and I sort of forgot about it. This must have been pre-2000.

Contiguous 48 would be better :)

Actually, in Alaska they refer to them as "the states", "the lower 48", or most commonly "down south". That's the three that I heard the most in my time there. I'm sure there are others.

As far as marching arts in Alaska, I know there is a community band that gets together in Juneau every year strictly for the purpose of marching in the 4th of July Parade and doing a few concerts in the downtown pavilion. There is also a group that gets together in Anchorage every year for the Iditarod Parade. The trombone players have to use alcohol in their spray bottles because the water freezes too quickly.

As far as a drum corps from Alaska, more power to them. There are a number of very talented and experienced people up there to assemble a decent staff. Not everybody who lives there is "from" there.

I got ahold of the director through the myspace page. Really nice guy!

If all goes well I will be there new Visual Caption head! :tongue:

This is going to be a really great start up project next year.

If you have any interest on joining the visual staff please PM so we can get this thing rolling. Or skating..... not sure of the direction we will be going. :tongue:

(long haired freaky people need not apply )

Edited by AverageJoe

I have a friend who was a band director in Alaska for 3 years before he moved back to the states in the early 2000's. I asked if he had heard of them and he actually had. :tongue: It was just a group he had heard of in passing.

He is not a drum corps or marching band person at all. After I described the activity to him he laughed and said that they might benefit from the SUN NEVER GOING DOWN in the summer for a time - holy s###! He said that people draw all their shades to make some assemblance of night.

Again - not a confirmed sighting. Maybe they're a parade corps or something?

Hmm, I am wondering. Isn't Alaska a part of the United States :tongue:

Hmm, I am wondering. Isn't Alaska a part of the United States :tongue:

Well, the Canadians got there first, but then they saw the natives eating whale blubber and thought, "Hey, the Americans are already here!"

($1 to Jim Gaffigan)