The San Antonio Ice House - Pre and post show discussion.

Cavaliers have a lot to add and their new ending, they aren't near finished.

Well it's too late now should have been finished with the show by now sorry!!!! :thumbup:

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it interesting that in the past few years, some people have gone from an anti-narration mentality to one where depending on the corps one likes, it suddenly becomes okay (Bluecoats vs. Cadets).

IMO it has added nothing to the shows that have used it.

George Hopkins may be a proponent of it, but he is not the pariah. George/Cadets bad vs. Bluecoats good is a strange argument.

Don't get me wrong. I am very impressed by Crown's maturity. Last year, I was sitting in the stands thinking,"Stop clapping, they played loud but they just crapped all over themselves in the technical passages before that."

Now, this year they have matured, they're playing heavy music and moving at a good speed, and comfortable it seems, while they're doing it.

But the top the last several years have been shows that have conveyed musically and visually the idea. I saw a marching band shirt this past year that said, "What's the Show?" basically giving the director the leash to do whatever music he/she liked. I just have no connection besides, that's good music, and they're playing it well. Which for some, works.

Don't misunderstand me here either. I LOVE the fact they're playing music I know, but the music they are playing just doesn't make sense together, and it isn't portrayed visually, thats really my only problem with it.

I wish more people played melodies like Crown, Cadets, Phantom. I like melodies.

C C G G A A G-----------

F F E E D D C

Hows that ? Melody enough for ya ?

Final impressions of my first viewing of the season:

1) The Blue Stars gap between them and Cru/BK is far too wide. I think they got dumped a little bit. Well maybe between them and Cru but I have BK well over them.

2) Coats have a cute show but will end the season behind the top 6.

3) Cadets got what they deserved and unless they Performance of the "Storytellers" improves or is removed, this show will continue to flatline.

4) PR NEEDS big changes in the middle of the show and "MARCH" the 6/5 instead of that pseudo jogging jazzrun thingy. I look for them to make big improvements but I think 4th is respectable for this show.

5) Crown in 2nd at Finals?

6) The spread for BD is too much. If they are THAT much better than everyone else at this point, I don't see them moving off that score anytime soon. This corps is beatable if PR/Crown/Cavs can clean the snot out of their shows.

7) Glassmen were better in the Afternoon show and lucky to be 2.7 ahead of Crossmen. I think that was a gift.

Congratulations to CROSSMEN for making it back into the top 12!!! Hope you stay there through the rest of the season.

Congratulations to BLUE STARS for having such an AWESOME year!

Congratulations to the TROOPERS for coming back strong from *potential oblivion. I hope that you will never leave the scene again.

Congratulations to BLUECOATS for moving up a rank! You guys really deserve it for working so hard against a lot of adversity this year.

Congratulations to the CAVALIERS for holding it down by means of raw performance! You really don't have one of your best shows, but your members and staff are at the top of their game.

And especially, congratulations to the BLUE DEVILS for winning the show! THIS CORPS IS GOING TO WIN 2008 FINALS. PERIOD. They simply outclass every other corps on the field this year.

I think that everyone else has covered Crown enough for me this season, thanks. I didn't see any BD or Cavaliers fans saying YAY for my corps and LOL for Crown . . . just another separation between a top tier and other drum corps I guess.

Edited by Rob Mattera

C C G G A A G-----------

F F E E D D C

Hows that ? Melody enough for ya ?

is that the star one or the abc's? lol

Final impressions of my first viewing of the season:

5) Crown in 2nd at Finals?

6) The spread for BD is too much. If they are THAT much better than everyone else at this point, I don't see them moving off that score anytime soon. This corps is beatable if PR/Crown/Cavs can clean the snot out of their shows.

I do not know how they were so far out in front? I do not get that spread!!!!!!What am i missing. I have seen them live in OR and did not see it there.

I think we should just cancel the rest of the season and give the kids over at the Blue Devils the trophy and rings since a majority of people here have claimed a BD victory come finals. All in agreement with this notion, say I. All with half a brain say, your kidding.