Favorite Show or Moment Seen LIVE

Albuquerque, NM, 2007.

Crazy wind gusts there that night. Most corps pulled their walls out of their shows, and i know blue stars marched without helmets\plumes. Everyone hyped the crazy environment, and i felt more energy than any show of the season from almost every corps that night.

I was at that show and the wind was crazy! The Sandia Mountains as a back drop with the black clouds rolling over them helped set the mood.

Albuquerque, NM 2003. Same amazing back drop of the Sandia’s. It was the first drum corps show my then 14 year old son ever attended. We all fell in love with Phantom Regiment (Harmonic Journey) that night!

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DeKalb, 1982. The runoff.

the first that came to mind was phantom '04 on semis night. i was with some friends in the front row of the upper deck. the end of the opener; ripple and 180 degree turn down the form. i didnt expect it at all and basically jumped to my feet, applauding and whatnot until the piece ended.

seeing the cadets warm up in 2003 in murray, kentucky was a huge deal also. the white dawn sequence that year baaaaasically changed my life.....i think they played it quietly, sung it, and played it full out. wish there was a recording of it (and its not the sequence that wound up being called white dawn afterwards, that cap reg and some others played). magic played it in '04 too, i think.

Les Étoiles 1996 - Div II finals - they were just on fire that night, and we were just glad that we had made finals - never thought we'd end up winning it :lol:

Later,

Mike

...neither did Pioneer :lol:

The OaKland Crusaders drum lines 76 & 77 - amazing even today

Hearing Spirit of Atlanta and that horn line letting loose late 70's into 80's

Seeing Madison for the 1st time late 70's

Phantom late 70's and those horns with Beethoven's 5th and Flight of the Bumblebee

Sky Ryders entertaining shows in the 80's

PR & Kilties with Pagliacci in the late 70's (somebody needs to play this today)

North Star and the chrome wall

1988 Madison Scouts at KC - enough said - they won fair & square

Late 80's SCV - amazing every time

Late 70's = first time seeing Blue Stars and the girls in the shorts = still a classy uniform

Mid 70's - first time seeing brilliant finish cymbals and trying to figure out how they did that

Bridgemen - enough said

mid 80's Sex Cymbals

1985 - 1st show ever Star of Indiana

1992 - The first time I saw CADETS show (To Tame the Perilous Skies). I have no idea what stadium we were at, but it was just stunning to me as was each subsequent viewing. I couldn't have asked for a better rookie year getting to see them over and over again for the rest of the season.

1994 - Boston - The 27TH LANCERS ALUMNI performance. To this day, it's still the biggest crowd reaction I've ever seen. (I wasn't at Finals this year.) That rifle line was so good they made me cry. :lol: I knew nothing about the corps' history, but even without that knowledge I knew I was seeing something historic.

1996 - Citrus Bowl, Florida - Being on the field for retreat when BLUE DEVILS and PHANTOM REGIMENT were announced as a tie for the Championship. It was AWESOME!! The crowd went wild.

2007 - Rochester, NY - DCA Individuals & Ensemble competition, Mini Corps. First time ever at DCA anything. (Didn't even know about DCA's existence until six months prior.) New York SKYLINERS Mini Corps. It was nasty, it was down and dirty, it was "in your face" (all in good ways) and it was LOUD! Awesome, awesome, awesome.

2007 - Rochester, NY - Seeing EMPIRE STATESMEN (Music of Maynard Ferguson) at the DCA Finals show. Prior to that show, I had enjoyed every single DCA corps' performance that I had seen, but that show was so much fun and I was completely into it and then they had the "special effect" with the horn players on the stage in the pit. Since I was new to DCA, I had never seen that before and it was the clincher of my love for that show and DCA.

Reading through this thread, I realize I need to go see more shows live. That said...

Phantom 06 - It was the first time I had seen them live that year (and my first finals I was able to attend), and Ave Maria just blew me away.

Crown 07 - Took some of the kids I help instruct down to Westminster, and when they hit The Chord, I just started giggling. Saw them again in Hershey that year and giggled even more.

Cadets 07 - Saw them in Westminster and Hershey and really just could not get over how loud they were. Yeah... I giggled some more.

Finals 08 - It's probably cliche at this point, but hearing Brandt Crocker announce Phantom in 1st was by far the coolest drum corps moment I've been a part of. Also, being able to congratulate some of Regiments guard at the airport was cool too. They were so gracious and appreciative.

Cadets in 2007 at the Hershey show. They were unbelievably loud. Then again, just about anytime I got to hear them live was awesome. That hornline had some balls.

Bluecoats 2008 - standing on the track in front of their hornline when they played "The Boxer" part of their show... Facemeltingly loud.

oh yeah.....

random dca show in the south in 2003, where there were 2 or so div 2 corps attending. it was drum major only retreat that day and i got to be in the middle of the stands while the corpsvets arc'ed it up and played georgia on my mind and blew my ears off my head.

speaking of which, my second show in 2003 (birmingham, AL, spain park HS i believe), i got to see the madison scouts live. first time hearing a G hornline in person, and it was everything that the "old timers" on here made it out to be. i could easily tell the difference between their hornline and the Bb/F ones i was used to, and i LOVED it. the term "electric," often associated with madison's shows in the past anyway, definitely applied. it was.......brassy, if you will, and fantastic.

i also felt like it was an honor to have good seats when watching the cadets in murfreesboro in 2007. even considering my last two paragraphs, that was the loudest hornline i've ever heard in my life. i ignored the narration as much as possible (as i pretty much always naturally do when watching dci shows) and was blown away by the amount of volume they could produce, especially within the baritones. i loved the mello book too and was really glad to be able to hear it and follow it the whole time......rare, in Bb/F hornlines. that's typically a characteristic of G hornlines, for the most part, i've found.