staff member "revenge"?

When, say, a football coach gets fired from a team and is hired by another, and his new team beats the former team, I'm sure there's some amount of happiness in the revenge win.

Is the same true in drum corps, particularly when a designer goes from a "top" corps to an "up-and-coming" corps, and the new corps outperforms in a particular caption?

I'm thinking about Crown defeating Phantom in guard. I have no insight as to why the current Crown guard designer left PR several years ago, but I'm sure the win in San Antonio was sweet, especially if it keeps up...

Any stories out there of staff members seeking a caption win over a former corps? Any bad blood?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

If some staff members feel this way, then they are being, IMO, somewhat petty and foolish.

We have all left jobs for different jobs. Sometimes the change is good for both parties, and the teacher can reflect on changes and assess their teaching style...always pushing for improvement. When my bands perform better I like to think it's because I am becoming a better teacher, and also because the performers are working hard and becoming excellent performers.

Sometimes a particular teaching style does not work well within the context of a certain type of show or with the administrative/ideological setting for which the corps may operate. Often times those instructors are better off somewhere else. The same is true with the performers.

So there are lots of variables, but jealousy, revenge, "I'll show you" type tactics, and wanting to "stick it" to someone or some corps usually just leads to failure. The instructor who is like this is not reflective, self-assessing, and usually stubborn; and they can be hard to work with no matter where they go.

JW

So there are lots of variables, but jealousy, revenge, "I'll show you" type tactics, and wanting to "stick it" to someone or some corps usually just leads to failure. The instructor who is like this is not reflective, self-assessing, and usually stubborn; and they can be hard to work with no matter where they go.

Good point.

When, say, a football coach gets fired from a team and is hired by another, and his new team beats the former team, I'm sure there's some amount of happiness in the revenge win.

Is the same true in drum corps, particularly when a designer goes from a "top" corps to an "up-and-coming" corps, and the new corps outperforms in a particular caption?

I'm thinking about Crown defeating Phantom in guard. I have no insight as to why the current Crown guard designer left PR several years ago, but I'm sure the win in San Antonio was sweet, especially if it keeps up...

Any stories out there of staff members seeking a caption win over a former corps? Any bad blood?

I don't know of instances like that. I'm sure there are some.

But it's probably MUCH more frequent where an" up and coming Corps " lost their good designer to a " top corps " because the " top corps " had the money and the prestige to entice that designer to test their mettle to see if they could move up the pecking order. This would naturally create a little jealousy and a little resentment with the former Corps because the " up and coming Corps " then has to replace that good designer which is hard to do. Likewise, member talent naturally then flows out of that " up and coming Corps " to other " top Corps as well. A good analogy to this is pro and college sports. The " up and coming " teams frequently lose their better players, recruits, and coaches to the " top teams " all the time. Ergo, we rarely see teams in college football, college basketball, college hockey, pro baseball, pro basketball, etc with " the up and comer " making it eventually over the hurdle and winning it all. And once they do, if they do, that team loses it's best players and coaches in that off season to the usual " top " teams.

And then cycle continues. And " normalcy " is restored.

Edited by BRASSO

I don't know if there is ACTIVE revenge occuring, and like Mr. Willis said, it would ultimately lead to the Dark Side and death and destruction. BUT...I'm sure somewhere in some minds out there, people may harbor a bit of "evil satisfaction" privately that they may have "beaten" a former employer....OR MENTOR...

I have to say though,

I much prefer Phantom's guard these days than I did a couple of Years ago - anyone remember the Piazolla show????

Sometimes it's more a question of finding a drumcorps or type of show that fits with your design views and capabilities. I think both Crown and Phantom have the right guard designers for what they are doing.

Later,

Mike

I don't know if you realize this, but Crown didn't win.

Edited by rosski47

It isn't the most important to me as an instructor.....however I do notice how my bands place in comparison to the bands that I used to teach. I do take some pride in beating them, only because it strokes the ego. Like I said, it's not important because ultimately, my goals are simple: put on the best show possible! the rest is just icing.

Ick...don't remind me of the guard design for 04! Totally a wtf season. Sad because I really dug what the same duo designed for 03. Jude is now at Colts and Joe is with Glassmen.

I did enjoy 03 more - but I still felt that it wasn't a Phantom guard - you know?

Later,

Mike