Why is it...?

Why is it that ANY year the Cavaliers, Phantom, or Vanguard are the front runner, everybody is frolicking around this forum like it's Christmas morning... But when all of a sudden, we get 2 years in a row where the Blue Devils are really good, everybody feels the need to show their fangs. The Blue Devils put a stunning show on the field last year, and have gone even further this year, and all that seems to happen is people get hot and bothered about it.

They do nothing but put quality shows on the field every year, and with the exception of 1 year, they do so without feeling the need to chatter throughout the whole thing like 90% of this forum detests so much. But it seems the Devils never get any respect let alone love from more than just a small handful of people.

So, I'm sorry that they don't wear green and do summersaults on the field

I'm sorry that they don't jazz run for 75% of their show and play lots of classical music

And I'm really sorry they don't write a spot into the show where the crowd screams "BLUE DEVILS"

But I'm not sorry that they're put an amazing show on the field this year, and people can't be ok with it.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The issue for me is that I'd like to see some other Corps win. Actually Corps besides BD, Cadets, and Cavs. I'd be quite pleased to see Phantom or Crown win a title, although the Cadets are my sentimental favorite. The BD's have more titles than any other Corps and lots of folks see their shows as formulaic and repetitious. I for one, thought last years show was the most boring championship show I've seen since I've been following the activity (1984). That is a personal opinion and I am not suggesting they got something they didn't deserve. I don't see much in the way of Fangs here for BDs. Most of the Fangs are for the Cadets from what I can see.

The Cavs have a similar crowd that roots against them for the same reasons mentioned above. It is okay for a corps to have a style, it would just be nice to see it stretched a little more.

Peace.

Why is it that ANY year the Cavaliers, Phantom, or Vanguard are the front runner, everybody is frolicking around this forum like it's Christmas morning... But when all of a sudden, we get 2 years in a row where the Blue Devils are really good, everybody feels the need to show their fangs. The Blue Devils put a stunning show on the field last year, and have gone even further this year, and all that seems to happen is people get hot and bothered about it.

They do nothing but put quality shows on the field every year, and with the exception of 1 year, they do so without feeling the need to chatter throughout the whole thing like 90% of this forum detests so much. But it seems the Devils never get any respect let alone love from more than just a small handful of people.

I'm sorry that they don't jazz run for 75% of their show and play lots of classical music

And I'm really sorry they don't write a spot into the show where the crowd screams "BLUE DEVILS"

But I'm not sorry that they're put an amazing show on the field this year, and people can't be ok with it.

Blue Devils are so well run they will always be a contender

First of all, my heart is with Vanguard and always will be. I do love BD's show this year but I think you are wrong with your statements, especially regarding the cavies. I don't think there was ever a year they were torn apart for their musical selections (including this year) and even though there might be more that you're catching at this very moment in time, I think I've seen much more harsh criticism the past several years towards corps like the cavaliers, phantom and even the cadets.

I may be misunderstanding your post but I'm reading is you being frustrated with people hating on BD this year and making it sound like they're getting it more than any of those other corps you mentioned during the years they were on top.

I have not been able to see any drum corps in a few years, mostly because I have young children and don't get many opportunities to get out. But on the hand of just the comments made on DCP, just remember that there are always people that want to voice their opinions and sometimes they'll sound worse than others depending on the time of day or if there's a full moon out. :-)

I just don't think it's as bad as you feel.

Good luck to BD on the rest of the season!! As well as all the other corps competing.

well the easiest way to say it....

lately the blue devils have been overrated

can't believe i just actually spoke my mind about this...i can't find my flame retardant suit either =\

Why is it that ANY year the Cavaliers, Phantom, or Vanguard are the front runner, everybody is frolicking around this forum like it's Christmas morning... But when all of a sudden, we get 2 years in a row where the Blue Devils are really good, everybody feels the need to show their fangs.

Your profile says you only joined DCP a year ago. I've been chatting on this forum since it was created, and I've seen the fangs come out for those at the top every single year. Surely you've read plenty of criticism of the Cavaliers this year? Well, those same complaints have been there every year. Now Phantom's been a favorite of DCP for a while, and as for SCV I don't think you'll find a drum corps fan anywhere that doesn't like that organization. But those corps have never exactly been frontrunners in the DCP era. There's a natural resentment that builds up for any champion. Obviously fans of that corps like seeing their team win, but for those who aren't fans of that corps, seeing someone else would certainly be preferable. Sometimes fandom can be immature, and causes a person to stop respecting even the corps they dont' root for. That's disappointing, but this place is still pretty mild compared to your average sports forum.

The issue for me is that I'd like to see some other Corps win.

Why should it be the fault of Bd, Cadets, or the Cavs if nobody else puts the type of excellence they put on the field. Every corps has the same chance as another to win, shame on those 3 for working their butts off to perform at another level.

well the easiest way to say it....

lately the blue devils have been overrated

can't believe i just actually spoke my mind about this...i can't find my flame retardant suit either =\

You are right on the money for the most part. I must say, though, I really enjoyed the Blue Devils last night. If you haven't seen them live it's a bit hard to understand how good they really are this year. I thought they were over rated as well until I saw them in person. They are really good this year and I don't know if anyone can beat them. On the other side, I think Phantom has the best show by far this season. Definitely the best drumline, and wow, what a guard presentation!

I love BD's show this year. My favorite music from them since '00.

To me the GE is unreal.

Phantom, Crown, and SCV get a lot of love on DCP... a lot. That's nothing new. The Cavaliers? Eh, I don't think so. The Cadets- definitely not. I think Blue Devils get a mixed reaction.

Blue Devils are good this year, and they were last year. But like any show, not everyone is going to love it. I'm not a big fan of BD. I thought last year's show was boring. This year, I really like the music. I hum along with the show when playing it on Fan Network. At the same time, I don't like actually watching it. My basic point is that people have tastes. A lot of people label BD boring, but clean. A lot of people label the Cavaliers as boring and easy.

It's lonely at the top.

So... yeah, that's about it. :thumbup: