The Once Powerful Corps

I was looking at the rankings and wondered whatever happened to two great drum corps powerhouses. This post is not a dig at any corps or to anyone.

Madison Scouts - A perennial top 12 finalist and now.....?

Troopers - They have always been America's corps but for so many years they were never in the top 12. Now there seems to be a resurgence and I am happy.

Wouldn't it be nice (Beach Boys) to see these two great corps back in the top 12 again.

This would be my top 12 in no particular order

Santa Clara Vanguard

Blue Devils

Troopers

Madison Scouts

Phantom Regiment

Boston Crusaders

Blue Stars

Cavaliers

Crossmen

Carolina Crown

Blue Knights

Colts

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was looking at the rankings and wondered whatever happened to two great drum corps powerhouses. This post is not a dig at any corps or to anyone.

Madison Scouts - A perennial top 12 finalist and now.....?

Troopers - They have always been America's corps but for so many years they were never in the top 12. Now there seems to be a resurgence and I am happy.

Wouldn't it be nice (Beach Boys) to see these two great corps back in the top 12 again.

This would be my top 12 in no particular order

Santa Clara Vanguard

Blue Devils

Troopers

Madison Scouts

Phantom Regiment

Boston Crusaders

Blue Stars

Cavaliers

Crossmen

Carolina Crown

Blue Knights

Colts

"Legends Back On the Field":

My "Picks":

St Vincents Cadets

St Marys Cardinals

Des Plaines Vanguard

Argonne Rebels

DeLaSalle Oaklands

St Catherines Queensmen

Our Lady of Loretto

St Lucys Cadets

Hawthorne Muchachos

Cambridge Caballeros

Blue Rock

Hutchinson Sky Ryders

Quite a few of the "Legends" have been resurected in the forms of Alumni corps such as the Bridgemen, Kingsmen, Scout House, St Kevins, St Josephs of Batavia, Chicago Royal Airs, Selden Cadets, Blessed Sacrament and the Park City Pride, which represents some 17 junior corps that called Bridgeport CT "Home". The Audubon chorus carries on the memory of the great Bon Bons "All Girls" corps.

We miss them all. :tongue:

Elphaba

Edited by elphaba01

Well, the Blue Stars were definitely a powerhouse type corps in the early 70's, they have not made Finals since 1979. Perhaps this is the year they finally make it all the way back.

In no particular order.

27th Lancers

Bridgemen

Suncoast Sound

Sky Ryders

Freelancers

Troopers

Guardsmen

Memphis Blues

Keep in mind that the corps that I listed are still in existence. I'd love to bring back every corps that has died but the intent of my original post was to say, "why have these corps fallen?"

Was Madison's descent due to Scott Stewart's leaving? Was Troopers descent due to Jim Jones leaving? Just questions to ponder and discuss.

The spirit of all corps is always with us!

No Spirit in there? :(

I agree that Madison & Troopers are two corps that kind of died off. As an old Trooper I am glad that they are on the way back. After the year off & then last years bounce back I think they are on the move up. Mr jones was a great drill man & Percussion Instructor even though someone else was the percussion instructor he still would get involved with the percussion line. It is real hard to view the Troopers without Mr. Jones on the sidelines & following the corps in his Winebego, drum practices on the Bego during road trips. I think that after every corps looses its mainstay in directors they have a falling, But these two have fallen off along way. Spirit of JSU (i still want to call them Spirit of Atlanta) has not been the same for a few years now & I,m glad to see the Blue Stars on the surge. :unsure:

Keep in mind that the corps that I listed are still in existence. I'd love to bring back every corps that has died but the intent of my original post was to say, "why have these corps fallen?"

Was Madison's descent due to Scott Stewart's leaving? Was Troopers descent due to Jim Jones leaving? Just questions to ponder and discuss.

Even though Scouts have been struggling, their shows have still been entertaining. I mean, 03 was awesome and it got like 6th or 7th right? And the Carmen Project as well as A Drum Corps Fan's Dream Part Dos were both very entertaining.

I think its pretty cool that BAC has been in DCI since its inception (sp) and did not make finals until 1999 and have been in it ever since :unsure: