Regrets... I have a few

You don’t understand! I could have had class, I could have been a contender. I could have been somebody. Instead of a bum, which is what I am, let's face it.

1972, I had been in corps for 2 years. We had 4 corps in New Orleans and I had the chance to switch corps......................

< hangs head >

I could have been a contender...............

( buts thats a different time and era )

I regret that corps in New Orleans never lived up to their full potential.

Personally I always wanted to be a part of the Long Blue Line but Casper was far, far away from Louisiana in the 1970's

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wanted to march with BD in the 80's, but it was just to far to go for a "young girl".

I also regret not having my girls march somewhere.

My college roommate was marching 1992 Crossmen Contra (top 6 show). I met them in Nashville for a show, and the corps was looking to fill a soprano hole. My roommate told the director that we were in the same college band together, and they asked him if I had my bags packed.

But...I...um...I had this girlfriend back home, see. That relationship ended before finals, so I think I chose poorly.

My college roommate was marching 1992 Crossmen Contra (top 6 show). I met them in Nashville for a show, and the corps was looking to fill a soprano hole. My roommate told the director that we were in the same college band together, and they asked him if I had my bags packed.

But...I...um...I had this girlfriend back home, see. That relationship ended before finals, so I think I chose poorly.

Freakin' girlfriends! Why must they ruin everything!! :tongue:

1975. I was graduating from HS and decided I was going to skip a year of Drum Corps and just party all summer until I headed off to college. Later that October I ran into a corpsmate of mine and asked him who won the World Open. When he told me the Blue Devils I said "Who the hell are the Blue Devils?". That was the first time I'd ever heard of them, much less know where they were from, and that was just from taking one year off. Fortunately I was still young enough to get back in the game, which I promptly did the following season. That's when I realized how much I missed it.

Edited by Piper

Dropping out of the Freelancers in 1984 so I could do all the "senior in high school" stuff. Funny - I don't have many memorable moments from that high school year/summer, but I do vividly remember watching the 1984 Freelancers show at Sound Expo.

Guest xsabers
Personally I always wanted to be a part of the Long Blue Line but Casper was far, far away from Louisiana in the 1970's

Yes, it's much closer now what with that whole continental drift/plate tectonics thingy :tongue:

<apologies...couldn't resist...it struck me as funny>

Boy - this thread is sort of depressing. But it makes me appreciate the choices I made and the opportunities I took advantage of.

I got to march 4 years in two different corps. First year in Sky Ryders we placed 19th, so I know how it is to be in a lower placing corps. Next year we placed 12th which was a great experience to come from 19th and then make it into top 12.

The following year I almost didn't march. Sky raised their dues to a point that I just couldn't afford to march. I owed money from my spring semester at school and wouldn't be able to register in the fall until it was paid off, so I decided to work for the summer and then march my ageout year after that. A friend who had marched with me at Sky was now at Bluecoats and luckily they convinced me at the last minute to inquire about filling a hole that they had in the line which I did. I went on to march my ageout at Bluecoats also.

While I was never in a corps that was a contender for the the top spot or even top 6, I have no regrets. I am thankful that I had 4 years and got to experience a range of aspects of drumcorps as I said. I'm thankful that I was talked out of skipping a year due to money concerns.

I think this thread is good for those readers who might consider not marching or taking a year off for whatever reason. Whatever reason you have for not marching, it's not good enough. March. Your time is limited. You will not regret it. You will never regret leaving your girlfriend/boyfriend for the summer. If they can't wait 12 weeks for you, they aren't right for you. You will never regret not working for the summer or not taking that summer session of school to graduate early. There's no age limit to school. There is for drumcorps.

I regret that corps in New Orleans never lived up to their full potential.

Very true, but heck, Arabi was "too far" from Metairie when in 70 & 71 I depended on dad for the Sunday morning ride.

So I bled Red, Black and white, for way too long before changing.

And to think, GEX and Clearview were closer in 72, but I was brainwashed.

I coulda been a contender...................

:laughing::doh: