Just a note about the Cadets

Agree? Disagree ? state your pov, argue/debate the ideas but please, even a good "borg" knows, live and let live and dont preach, condemn or judge just because you dont happen to agree, ok ?

Geoffrey

"Don't preach" starting.....now :tongue:

It's not preaching unless you disagree with it, eh?

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just curious...has anyone said/mentioned they felt the narration of Cadets was up to the excellence of the drum/horn/guard/drill design? And if people haven't said that, doesn't that mean that the quality of narration is holding the corps back? Does anyone believe the narration writing and execution is "excellent?"

Wanna know....not trying to cause trouble.

I personally felt last year (and to a lesser extent, this year as well) that the narration distracts from enjoying the music. I don't agree with a lot of the changes George has proposed (or succeeded in implementing) but as has been previously stated in this post, the member corps had the ultimate say. I can appreciate the hard work that not only the Cadets members but every single member of every corps puts into their performance; I just have a hard time enjoying the performance because the narration aspect, IMO, mars the performance rather than enhances it. Show designers, if they are good at what they do, should be able to "tell their story" with the show itself and not having to explain it as they go along. I feel bad that, through no fault of their own, the corps members may not feel that their efforts were appreciated. As was said in the movie "Karate Kid", "There is no such thing as a bad student, only a bad teacher...Teacher say, student do." The members are performing what they are given. It is easy to tell when the members are having fun performing and when the audience enjoys it and resonds, the corps feeds off that as well. Corps management should keep THAT in mind when deciding their repertoire.

..and just becuase you can use narration on the field doesnt mean you should, 'specialy when its so trite, sophomric and laughable and bangs you over the head with silliness.....poor Sara Blah, blah, blah, who cares. Its not a marylin Crenshaw novel, theres no character development, no plot to be delivered, its, oh thats right, a drum and bugle corps show on a football field, with musicians........taking a back seat to spoken word through a microphone. Debate ? sure, just wish reality would set in and folks would realize there is not a valid counter-argument.

Brass, percussion, and visual accompaniment, thats what this activity is/was/will someday cease if Cadets laeader had his way.

Geoffrey

Sure thing champ. You're right and everyone else is wrong.

I see that you didn't take my post to heart.

Why should he?

Because out of one side of his mouth he is defending the sacred beliefs of those who hate the Cadets.

On the other side of his mouth he is saying that anyone who likes the Cadets is invalid.

Edited by dbc03

Can I add one more thing?

deadhorse.gif

Thank you!

Because out of one side of his mouth he is defending the sacred beliefs of those who hate the Cadets.

On the other side of his mouth he is saying that anyone who likes the Cadets is invalid.

Welcome to the wonderful, pot kettle double standard world of Geoffrey.