Boston Crusaders

Ever since BAC made top 12 have they been the same BAC? I remember Boston with small horn lines that could wail and they always put on an entertaining show no matter what the size of the corps.

Are they now in the "ditch" with all the other DCI top 12 corps using the same formula?

Discuss!

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To a degree, I think BAC has the same challenge as Madison. They have to sound "BAC" without recycling the same chestnuts. Much as I would LOVE to hear Conquest or Hava Nagila arrangements as done back in the day, it is not going to happen. I do appreciate the little teases they've done, though!

I believe this is the 1st year in a long time that the horns "wail"

Finally some volume.

I agree with the "yes and no" response

They still have traditional uniforms!

Their drumlines have been ok,but not like the powerhouse drumlines of years past

Plus,why do all snares sound so tight and...

Don't you miss the real sound of snares

I believe the Cadets were the last corp to have that sound

And it is great Boston usually keeps their ties to the past with snipets of Conquest

Would love to see them do a greatest hits show some year

see, and I think a show could include Hava Nagila and be competitive currently, it's all about the package surrounding it and how the tune would be done.

I never would have thought Sara Mc' Angel would have worked, but Crown sold it, same with Wild Horses last year. and countless other corps and tunes in recent years.

I love Boston, I still listen to their 1991 Rocky show (esp since Bluecoats are doing some of the same pieces this year) a great deal

• 5 weeks later...

Yes and no also, I was a member of the Crusaders from 77-79 my age out year.. Bari. 79 we had a 25 man horn line that matched up with anyone in sound, technique and clean. I remember that year going thru the winter and spring doing so many breathing exercises and lots of conditioning becuase we were small and it paid off. They now are a finalist for 10 yrs and have to play the DCI game now. I would love to see a greatest hits show of Boris off the line, Vikings for production number, have into California Dreaming and finally Conquest. With the arrangments now l know they could do it and get away with it but you all are going to hate this.. to me it isnt Drum Corps anymore,,, not with tryouts and such. it is glorified college musicians. Gone are the days of taking anyone off the street teaching them to play and going from there. We didnt fear anyone and never would. Not many in the saders horn line could read music proficiently. Hell, l took my music home and wrote the notes out and the length. Bring back the power hornlines and drum lines of the 70's. Someone should have some BALLS to do a show like that and not care wht the judges think.. Do it for the Corps and do it for the fans... nuff said

Dusty, BAC 77-79

Naw....BAC will never be in the ditch. But it might take longer to get to the next level. They seemed to have a great formula on the early 2000's, and it either escaped them, or they needed too many new recruits. It's tough to re-load.

I agree with Dusti - give us a circa 1971 show - even with Ballad of the Giraffes - and they would bring the house down. The tough part - writing a visual show in thie ear with traditional BAC music from a forgotten era.

Dusti - I hope you agree - give me more than 10 notes for Conquest !!!!!

Ever since BAC made top 12 have they been the same BAC? I remember Boston with small horn lines that could wail and they always put on an entertaining show no matter what the size of the corps.

Are they now in the "ditch" with all the other DCI top 12 corps using the same formula?

Discuss!

No, not in the ditch...they have risen to the top of the mountain as the rest of the top 12 and lower have done.

It's nice to hear a shadow of a tune like Conquest, but I'd rather they use the old stuff like Hava Nagila for encores.