Show themes

Themes are fine as a beginning, not an end.

Theme as a beginning:

Our theme is the love between a Latin guy and girl, so we're going to play Malaguena.

Theme as an end:

We're going to play Malaguena so people can understand the love between a Latin guy and girl.

The difference is that the former has an underlying theme, and if you get it, cool, and if not, at least you got to enjoy Malaguena, while the latter is using a piece of music as the backdrop to an overall message, and if you don't get it the corps is going to go out of their way to make sure you get it.

Bottom line....use themes as an excuse to play cool music and tie them together. Don't use music as a vehicle to spread a message that not everyone's going to care about. That's like going to see a movie, but only watching the movie for the music in the background.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why don´t we try having less intellectual show designs? In 2005 we did Broadway... that was a fun, easy theme. Why do we always have to preach to the audience or do themes that would rely on very abstract music or visuals? Why not, say, a Japanese warrior theme? ;)

Spirit is one of many corps that I wish would return to a more "Down to earth" approach in regards to music/design choices. I know a lot of folks wouldn't go for this but....Spirit and Southern Jazz is a PERFECT match. You know...lots of corps have struggled (And continue to struggle) with establishing an "Identity". And here we have Spirit who had a RICH identity around Southern jazz...and they have just tossed it aside....... :tongue:

Spirit is one of many corps that I wish would return to a more "Down to earth" approach in regards to music/design choices. I know a lot of folks wouldn't go for this but....Spirit and Southern Jazz is a PERFECT match. You know...lots of corps have struggled (And continue to struggle) with establishing an "Identity". And here we have Spirit who had a RICH identity around Southern jazz...and they have just tossed it aside....... :tongue:

I would like to see Spirit play some Squirrel Nut Zippers.

Why don´t we try having less intellectual show designs? In 2005 we did Broadway... that was a fun, easy theme. Why do we always have to preach to the audience or do themes that would rely on very abstract music or visuals? Why not, say, a Japanese warrior theme? ;)

I've yet to see a drum corps show that I "didn't understand", so I'm not buying this argument. If a marching band show of all things is too complex for a person's mind, well then I guess there's a reason America isn't ranked among the top in education, especially those institutions in the south (except for Texas!!!)

I would like to see Spirit play some Squirrel Nut Zippers.

Interesting........I have two cd's from them.....

BAD design decisions and worst techs ( Guard ). CLEAN THAT STUFF UP !! its not the poor kids fault. As far as show , in another thread I believe some are blaming it on others who arent there now I guess who picked the theme.........WELL STAFF make it work it is your job !!!!!!!!!

and if you cant make it work MAKE IT CLEAN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sure ... look what it's doing to Spirit

whether you like the show or not, the theme doesn't make enough sense with the show and isn't represented enough to make it effective

Beat me to it.

Same can be said for PC and Academy this year.

That and BLUES- lots of southern cities like Memphis and N'awlins that have a great tradition for the blues.

Maybe we shouldn't have to "understand" a drum corps show. Like a painting, if I have to understand its a cat in the picture, it ain't worth looking at.

That may be one of the most ignorant things I've ever heard.

Picasso_Guernica_a.jpg

Picasso's "Guernica", one of the great paintings of the 20th century.

I've really been disgusted by some of the people on this board and their boorish approach to art. Only in America I guess.