The Official "Cadets 2008" Thread . . .

first off, most of them probably can't play in bd's hornline or march cavvies basics block.

LOL!!

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the 08 cadets have a weak trumpet line that can't play in tune consistently, the hornline as a whole is mediocre, and the show isn't particularly clean in any area that i can see. and they are in 5th place, which is where a show with that level of difficulty and execution normally ends up. anyone who tries to read more into the cadets scoring than dirty trumpets and a sort of blah show is fooling themselves.

i will say this, every corps claims its all about the experience. some mean it, and some don't. it's been fairly obvious to me since i've followed this activity that the cadets never mean that, they are in it to win it, and look at scoring as a validation of their efforts in a way very few corps do. so yeah, i bet it will just kill them if they get 5th this year, and they will all come back next year caring about winning more than anything else, just like every year. but i doubt they will all drop out and stay home, or go try out for devs or cavvies hoping for a ring. first off, most of them probably can't play in bd's hornline or march cavvies basics block. but mainly, i bet they are all happy where they are and want another crack at it next year.

Put down the crack pipe! The Cadets have way more demand in their show than Blue Devils and Cavaliers. I will surely be attacked for this but Blue Devils show should be named smoke and mirrors. You know nothing about the Cadets, I spend alot of time with them and you are flat out wrong! Bitter party of one, your table is ready!

i think thats a valid point. i also think that if a corps goes over 12 hours in rehearsal a single time for the summer, that they weighed the marching members experience (not to mention their health and safety) on one hand vs. a chance to gain a couple of tenths in scoring on the other and chose scoring. the cadets have made that choice more than once in the past. scoring comes out on top for hopkins, and there's really no way around that one. in the current cadets management list of priorities scoring is higher than "giving the members the best possible experience", and thats just a fact.

And you know this "fact" how? George has been there how long using this philosophy that sounds so damaging to the kids? You've been asked for facts. Put up or. . .

I've pretty much avoided this place for a month, but it needs to be said. mad scotty...enjoy your opinion, and feel free to be entitled to it. I can pretty much guarantee that it is wrong. From a personal perspective, and from a perspective of the corps, and almost everyone I knew, and the people I still know marching there, thats what I believe. Take it from this cadet...winning was important, and Im sure it drove some people...but it was more about just being awesome than it was getting a score...thats all :laughing: maybe ill see some of you in westminster / chester / allentown... :thumbup:

Another idiotic thread.

I just spoke with some friends and students who are currently with the cadets, and they are doing fine. Spirits are high, and they are just out there workin everyday trying to make it better. Same as everyone else.

Thier egos are fine.

It isn't an idiotic thread because I am not an idiot - you may not like it but it is just my view - the Cadets have been so strong and this year they have been struggling - it doesn't take a genius to know that it does affect personally when you are working extremely hard and not moving up. Yes, the competition is strong however 5th place is not where the Cadets like to be even though it is far from defeated.

It isn't an idiotic thread because I am not an idiot - you may not like it but it is just my view - the Cadets have been so strong and this year they have been struggling - it doesn't take a genius to know that it does affect personally when you are working extremely hard and not moving up. Yes, the competition is strong however 5th place is not where the Cadets like to be even though it is far from defeated.

First of all, the use of the word ego is a bit unnecessary. Secondly, if your premise is that each corps that is not rising up the ranks is struggling, then that would be most of the corps. Most corps are either hanging on to a spot, or falling. Very few corps spend the summer rising up the ranks. Yes, this is a pointless thread and your opinion could have been posted in the several other Cadets threads.

Put down the crack pipe! The Cadets have way more demand in their show than Blue Devils and Cavaliers. I will surely be attacked for this but Blue Devils show should be named smoke and mirrors. You know nothing about the Cadets, I spend alot of time with them and you are flat out wrong! Bitter party of one, your table is ready!

And you know nothing about the Cavaliers and the Blue Devils as well apparently. The "us versus them" mentality is making my head hurt....

As a person of experience in this matter, the fact that '86 was bookended on either side by championship years doesn't diminish the experience of '86 at all. In fact, some of my fondest memories of my career were in that year when we came in 4th. It doesn't take a genius to make blanket statements about how people function or feel about life or how they measure success.

i think thats a valid point. i also think that if a corps goes over 12 hours in rehearsal a single time for the summer, that they weighed the marching members experience (not to mention their health and safety) on one hand vs. a chance to gain a couple of tenths in scoring on the other and chose scoring. the cadets have made that choice more than once in the past. scoring comes out on top for hopkins, and there's really no way around that one. in the current cadets management list of priorities scoring is higher than "giving the members the best possible experience", and thats just a fact.

oh brother - love the liberal agenda here...

so hard practice means BAD PRIORITY setting

this is a lot of what is wrong with this country anymore

HARD WORK IS GOOD. It's good for the soul and the body.