Your favorite non performance memory of drum corps

On our way out west, our buses had a few problems (what a suprise) so we pulled over at a rest area in Nebraska for some sleep. We unloaded our sleeping bags and found our spots in the grass, after an hour or so the automatic sprinkler system came on sending 135 guys looking for a dry spot. One of our snare drummers went up on the roof of the rest room and fell asleep. We loaded up the busses the next morning and were a good hour on the road before we realized he was missing. I think one of the busses went back and found him still asleep on the roof.

I had to chuckle when I read this. I was swilling some beers at the Union Terrace last Sunday with a bunch of us from the mid-70's and

my wife asked me why she hears that same story every time we get together with my drum corps buddies.

I told her that its probably a relief to remember someone who was more of a burnout than we were.

And yes, Ian the bus driver actually drove right across the median, not waiting for a U turn spot and Mark was in fact still sound asleep on the roof.

"Tupac", who are you man. PM me if you don't want all these DCPers to know.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

in 2003, the batteries from bluecoats, crown, crossmen, boston, glassmen, and cadets all warmed up together in a park in nashua before the parade.

it was loud and kind of disgusting, but it was really awesome to see a 30 person bassline play runs... competently.

i just stood there and thought "i'm never going to forget this."

One of my funniest moments was in Toledo and we were chilling while the rest of the Drum Line worked out and we once again chatted up some local girls. All of a sudden they started laughing and while I'm a funny guy didn;t know why..until my friend told me my Sack was hanging out looking like a bag of peanuts.

Any time we were eating we'd be sitting on the ground, and most people sat Indian style. It became a pretty common joke that guys would let "just a little bit of skin" hang out from the leg of their shorts so it was clearly visible, and after a minute shout "Crap, I sat in gum!" People were always fascinated by it, and you could stretch the gum out and show them and ask them to take a closer look. My favorites were when people would make a comment that there was hair in the gum.

The look on their faces when they realized it wasn't gum is one of the best memories I will ever have!

Two McDs memories:

1) Day of what I thought would be my last regular season corps show (1979). All night drive to Corning, NY which a breakfast stop. Construction in downtown Corning throws off the lanes and after lead bus driver (same guy in previous post) makes a corner he half yells "Holy #### I'm on the wrong side" then floors it to the McDs parking lot. Of course the other 2 buses are following him.

That night after the show (about 1AM) he makes the same corner to go to the same McDs. This time he's yelling "###### ###### I did it again!!!"

2) McD's in upstate (Jamestown?) NY closes at 1AM and we hit there at 12:30. Manager/crew NOT happy about 100+ people when they are trying to get ready to close. Not happy turns to REALLY p.o.'ed as the Erie Thunderbirds pull up at 12:59AM and some of us stayed in the grease puit so they couldn't lock the doors. Also ticked cause some Westshoremen (raising my hand) run to the Tbird buses yelling "Get in there... they're trying to close". :tongue: Supposedly the sign said "Buses Welcome" :tongue:

I've got 3 words:

Montreal: Foxy Lady

3 more:

Montreal: Beer Gardens

I'm dyin to know who else has the same fond memories of what has to be the greatest day off venue in drum corps... I know for certain there are some Scouts out there who shared these times in '89...

Got one...

Finals day 84.....final horn warmup, next to the basketball gym...

Wayne takes us through the warmups....then starts a block chord at ppp....every time we play the chord we get a touch louder...

So we get to the loud ones....

FF

FFF

Blastissimo

MOLTO Blastissimo

747 (freakin' loud)

Earthquake (unbelievable freakinly loud!)

THEN Wayne looks over to the outside basketball courts and sees Garfield's battery warming up maybe 5o yards off

He turns to us...

"NUCLEAR HOLOCAUST!!!"

Suffice to say I have never, shall never, and COULD never play louder with less disctortion of tone....and we saw the Garfield guys look up at us and basically say "####!"

Dave Fowler from your plate line told me years later that it was at that moment they knew they were in trouble!!

To expand on this a little. First off, it's a little offensive so I will not use names in order to protect the innocent. In 2001 we were having a competition to see who could play a certain part of the show the loudest. After a few reps our caption head says "NUCLEAR HOLOCAUST LOUD!! Just ask _____ " (the only Japanese girl in the corps who played trumpet, er .. soprano) We all just about died laughing!

We (BD) were warming up in Glenwood Springs, CO (Drums Along the Rockies) in 1976. We hadn't seen Madison yet, who were just coming off of the rehearsal field that we were about to use.

The men of Madison were singing "Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam" from Monty Python while walking by us. I yelled out in my loudest "Monty Python woman" voice "I don't like Spam" ... then Wayne took us through a clip of Channel One Suite. Needless to say, they stopped singing ... and pretty much had to pick up their jaws off the ground as they walked by!

:tongue:

I've got 3 words:

Montreal: Foxy Lady

3 more:

Montreal: Beer Gardens

I'm dyin to know who else has the same fond memories of what has to be the greatest day off venue in drum corps... I know for certain there are some Scouts out there who shared these times in '89...

The Beer Garden in Montreal...he he he.

Good times.

Go Scouts!!!

It was the day of CYO (in '76, I believe), and we (BD) were staying at a school with the Muchacho's. Our cook (Otto, RIP) was "a god" at preparing fantastic meals on a tight budget. That particular day we finished rehearsal and went back for dinner, and Otto had prepared LOBSTER for the entire corps!

The Muchacho's, who were eating PB&J sandwiches, were pretty shocked (as we were also, but didn't let on) that this upstart California corps were eating Lobster (as well as 4 pointing every corps on the field)!

It was the day of CYO (in '76, I believe), and we (BD) were staying at a school with the Muchacho's. Our cook (Otto, RIP) was "a god" at preparing fantastic meals on a tight budget. That particular day we finished rehearsal and went back for dinner, and Otto had prepared LOBSTER for the entire corps!

The Muchacho's, who were eating PB&J sandwiches, were pretty shocked (as we were also, but didn't let on) that this upstart California corps were eating Lobster (as well as 4 pointing every corps on the field)!

And on that note....here comes the stroganoff story...

84...after the rained out Pt. Huron show. We're stuck at the Canadian border along with 27th, Garfield, and Freelancers.

We had beef stroganoff for dinner that day....not a BAD meal, but we felt it was our worst, so we had plenty of leftovers....at least until we opened the food truck at the border for the other corps.

You would not BELIEVE how the Garfield kids pounded it down....like they were afraid it would go away if they didn't...we were on our busses thinking "don't they FEED these people?"

It wasn;t until years later that I found out how good our food situation actually was!