Your favorite non performance memory of drum corps

While we have an off night - only one show - just thought it would be fun for those of you who marched to share some of your funny stories that happened off the field - I know I know - have to keep it clean but I am sure living with the same people day in and day out have to have it's share of moments.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On our way out west, our buses had a few problems (what a suprise) so we pulled over at a rest area in Nebraska for some sleep. We unloaded our sleeping bags and found our spots in the grass, after an hour or so the automatic sprinkler system came on sending 135 guys looking for a dry spot. One of our snare drummers went up on the roof of the rest room and fell asleep. We loaded up the busses the next morning and were a good hour on the road before we realized he was missing. I think one of the busses went back and found him still asleep on the roof.

Well...there go most of MY stories!!! :laughing:

That's one problem with having to keep it clean around here. I have sooo many stories that aren't family friendly. I'm not even talking about situations where something illegal or sexual was going on. When a group of older high school and college age people are around each other 24-7 for the entire summer it's impossible not to run into hilarious non-family friendly situations every single day.

If we were able to let loose on here I'm betting this would end up as a poop thread really quick.

You see, there was a guy we called Arizona...

OK

Finals Night in '75, back in the day when the drinking age was 18...... Our post DCI party was planned at our housing site....But unfortunatlely (Fortunately?) we placed 5th so we got back to housing much later than the corps we shared campus housing with.......needless to say our refreshments had been consumed....oh woe was weeee....

:tongue:

One of my favorite memories was having a free night in Montreal. We all made plans and of course not having money most of us ended up in McDonalds. Being smooth operator that I am I chatted up a these three local ladies and they "taught" me how to order in French. I spoke enough French at the time to order myself but it was an easy in with them.

After we parted ways my buddy from Alabama walked around the city. A car passed us and honked. Well we were the only ones on the street so we knew they were honking at us. It was the three ladies from McD's. They picked us up and took us around the city. Well being young men, we were trying to decide what direction this fun night would take...but being two black guys and them being 3 white girls we didn't pus it. We figured My mom wouldn't come from Delaware to bail me out and his folks darn sure wouldn't come from Auburn. So we just played the friend card.

Well we were to find it it was thier Indepence Day and everyone was partying. One of the best non-sexual days in my life.

One of my funniest moments was in Toledo and we were chilling while the rest of the Drum Line worked out and we once again chatted up some local girls. All of a sudden they started laughing and while I'm a funny guy didn;t know why..until my friend told me my Sack was hanging out looking like a bag of peanuts.

In '98 we had left Denver to go on tour and had stopped in Nebraska to fuel up. As we pulled out on the highway again it was probably around 10 PM and then BOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMM!!!!! A giant fire ball lit up the sky and the roadway in front of us. As we got closer to the scene the State troopers had closed the interstate and we found out it was a liquid titanium truck that had jackknifed/ruptured and then exploded. Problem was when the HazMat units got there they did not know what water combined with the chemical would do so the decision was made to let the truck burn itself out. We sat on the closed road for 5-6 hours until final we passed it by and nothing was left but ash and a small part of the cab!

By the by, two days later we went to Debuque, Iowa for our first show and went on the field as the craziest snake lightning was coming into town. We played our first show that year in pouring rain with the electircal show of our lives going onm behind us. The funny thing of it? Our tour shirt that year had pictures of BK members looking up into the sky with lightning bolts as the back ground. I believe they sold out of those shirts that night. :tongue:

The biggest one of all was the mistake that nearly cost me my marriage before it was even close to happening. You see my wife, girlfriend at the time marched in the guard in '97 and Denver was prone to having big storms come over the mountains. Since we were rehearsing at the old Stapleton Airport parking lots there was no shelter available except our cars and if things got really bad there was an old airplane overpass and concrete train tunnel. On this day the staff motioned for us to get in the cars and then drove towards the parking lot entrance, so we knew it was bad. Just then they shouted, "Get OUT OF YOUR CARS AND RUN TO THE TUNNEL!!!" Right then the tornado sirens went off and we found ourselves running in rain that made you feel like you were barely moving. Even though I felt as though I was barely running, I found out soon enough that I was indeed running full speed. This did not please my future wife as she (who I though was right behind me) was 500 yards away!! She still reminds of it to this day!! I guess I'll never live that one down!! :tongue:

One last short one: The busses we had in '97 and '98 were the old school 1970's MCI buses and lets just say that most things did not work very often on them and if they did it was with a glitch. Now I gotta give Mark Arnold props because he was the one that fixed those suckers during those summers and was a master mechanic for sure!! Anyway, since our air conditionor didn't worl half the time we would take turns crowding around the metal bus driver fan that was close to the entrance of the hornline bus. WE somehow discovered that if you touched the fan while it was on and touched the metal hand rail it would shock the bejeebers out of you!! So after spending every day trying to get someone new to touch it we got bored and decided to have the "longest shock contest" TO say the least I was one of the oldest and had the guts and won the contest. Of course my arms were tingling and numb and I couldn't hold my arms up easily that afternoon, but oh well!! :tongue:

Wes Perkins

BK '97 '98

Got one...

Finals day 84.....final horn warmup, next to the basketball gym...

Wayne takes us through the warmups....then starts a block chord at ppp....every time we play the chord we get a touch louder...

So we get to the loud ones....

FF

FFF

Blastissimo

MOLTO Blastissimo

747 (freakin' loud)

Earthquake (unbelievable freakinly loud!)

THEN Wayne looks over to the outside basketball courts and sees Garfield's battery warming up maybe 5o yards off

He turns to us...

"NUCLEAR HOLOCAUST!!!"

Suffice to say I have never, shall never, and COULD never play louder with less disctortion of tone....and we saw the Garfield guys look up at us and basically say "####!"

Dave Fowler from your plate line told me years later that it was at that moment they knew they were in trouble!!

Got one...

Finals day 84.....final horn warmup, next to the basketball gym...

Wayne takes us through the warmups....then starts a block chord at ppp....every time we play the chord we get a touch louder...

So we get to the loud ones....

FF

FFF

Blastissimo

MOLTO Blastissimo

747 (freakin' loud)

Earthquake (unbelievable freakinly loud!)

THEN Wayne looks over to the outside basketball courts and sees Garfield's battery warming up maybe 5o yards off

He turns to us...

"NUCLEAR HOLOCAUST!!!"

Suffice to say I have never, shall never, and COULD never play louder with less disctortion of tone....and we saw the Garfield guys look up at us and basically say "####!"

Dave Fowler from your plate line told me years later that it was at that moment they knew they were in trouble!!

Given the military air traffic in that area I'm surprised anyone heard ya'll!!! Being a Northerner I couldn't believe the Air Force activity.

Nuclear Holocaust - gotta try that at the next brass choir rehearsal!!!

Clean stories? That should be easy because I was an angel during my years! :tongue:

To this day I can still see it in my head clearly. It was after a show driving to the next location. I just happened to be awake. As you know the overhead is packed and things always fall down. One day, a shoe box fell and landed on a guy sleeping in his footway ground (not the aisle). He got so mad he threw it as hard as he could and it slammed the girl across the aisle in the side of the head!! She woke up......looked up at the overhead....and was so confused about where this flying object came from. Of course my bus partner and I were cracking up!!!

In SCV, my bus partner and I discovered that there was an AC slightly behind each chair. So we directed the one above us onto us, and then the rows in front on us as well. Every time one of the guys either in front of us or behind us mentioned that we were using their AC, we always told them "no, it's this one".

And then there's the story of the poo in a bottle that nobody would game forward.......a week later we forgot about it and found it 4 rows in front of us!!