Question ABout Tonights Show in Atlanta

As for the Cavaliers, tonight at least it was not a slide whistle. The player was fingering the notes, at least that is what our group on row 11, 40 yard line thought.

I'm gonna have to call BS on this one. The pipe pitch is always the same with the exception of when the member bends the pitch.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

There has never been a minimum age for DCI....there have been minimum ages for corps set by those corps. If there were any minimum ages, there are about a few hundred D3 corps that should've been disqualified throughout the years. I marched with a 10 yr old.

Cavies drilled holes in a slide whistle, creating a de facto woodwind instrument. People are looking the other way.

The string instrument is a hammered dulcimer of some type. I really think DCI needs to write its instrumentation rules based on the Hornbostel-Sachs instrument classification system; it's the most thorough, logical and and covers grey areas like this pretty well. In that system, the hammered dulcimer would be a chordophone, while all the other instruments in DCI (this year) would be aerophones, idiophones and membranophones. I think the rules should read (in part) something like "Only lip-percussion aerophones constructed of metal with forward facing bells, having no more than 3 valves (4 for bass voices), idiophones, and membranophones are legal." I feel like people have been looking the other way on this too. As someone noted, if the dulcimer is legal, so is a piano.

So yea. This has been bothering me too, since I heard about it in June.

i mean if its breaking the rules with the whistle flute recorder thing, then thats kind of lame, i dont have a problem with the noise, its cool very kung fu movie. in other words its fine by me

the only time i had a problem with it was in madison when he played it a little to close to the mic and it was a little over bearing.

but anyway, its not like its used to play any kind of melody or used for more than a few beats in the entire show.

I own a hammered dulcimer. The instrument the Cavies were using looked like something else. But I will yield to you answer.

It's a Yangqin.

Wikipedia article.

I'm planning an article on this for DCI.org the week of the World Championships.

Cavies drilled holes in a slide whistle, creating a de facto woodwind instrument. People are looking the other way.

So yea. This has been bothering me too, since I heard about it in June.

I don't understand what you're saying. So, they took a perfectly legal instrument and cut some holes in it to make it sound the way they wanted and you think they deserve to be penalized for it, if not at least questioned by DCI? That's almost like saying they should have been penalized in 2004 for whistling in "007". Singing is legal in a show, but making your mouth blow air to sound like a "flute" isn't? That's the way I'm reading what you're saying. :laughing:

I know my example is a stretch, but I believe it's on the right track. It doesn't seem like it would ever be an issue modifying any legal instrument in DCI to make it sound different, no matter what the sound or texture change is.

Edited by PepsiTwist

... since when is does whistling count as a woodwind instrument?

no-one said it was. since when was a slide whistle considered a woodwind instrument? it's not. My point was just because it sounds like something different doesn't mean that it should fall into that category. it's late and I was just trying to throw an example out there or how doing something different with something already there (to change the sound) doesn't make it legal/illegal and shouldn't. It just doesn't seem like it makes sense to question whether a slide whistle counts as a woodwind instrument just because it has holes in it and was modified to create a different sound.

If the slide whistle has holes, as has been reported multiple times, then it is almost physically identical to a recorder, which is not a legal instrument.

For the record, I think this illustrates why drum corps should be able to use any instruments they want.