Chambersburg quick thoughts

Cecily the 50/50 woman?

Cecily, Sayre and Heather have been a godsend for us this year. They are a true drum corps family doing what they can constantly to give back to the community.

For those of you at the show, the drum majors announced were not for us, but I think for White Sabers.

So, our's are Sayre Kulp and Andy Schlaf with assitance from Cecily.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cecily, Sayre and Heather have been a godsend for us this year. They are a true drum corps family doing what they can constantly to give back to the community.

For those of you at the show, the drum majors announced were not for us, but I think for White Sabers.

You are correct - they DID announce the drum majors backwards. I think it's pretty good that our drum majors can handle two corps at once. BTW, loved your arrangement of Blue Moon - you had a real swinging show.

Jeff:

Thanks for posting your thoughts. It was nice to spend a couple minutes with you and Christine at the start of the encore.

Folks -- this is an EXCEPTIONAL event. It's a first-rate facility -- great surface, excellent concert-side stands with great sight lines. You wouldn't know that it was just the second year for this event. It's exceptionally run, with lots of enthusiastic involvement by school district students and parents. It was especially nice to see the music students entertaining the crowd before the show. We've been there two years -- two great crowds. They were not the crowds to sit on their hands. They certainly gave it up for the performers.

Congratulations to Dan McGrogan for putting together a great event. I hope it's simply the second installment of many more to come! The Blue team from Reading looks forward to its next trip to Chambersburg. You all made us feel so welcome. Thank you!

Edited by TomMoore

It was really funny hearing our names as we left the stadium. Though after the fact, Sayre, Cecily, and I picked what name we wanted from what we were announced as.

If I remember correctly:

Andy = Jim

Sayre = Danny

Cecily = Ivan

I could be wrong, though. It happens... (even to announcers :tongue::worthy: )

If I remember correctly:

Andy = Jim

Sayre = Danny

Cecily = Ivan

I could be wrong, though. It happens... (even to announcers :tongue::worthy: )

Thats right. I wanted Ivan, but Cecily beat me to it....

Single valve and I'm guessing NO slide either. :huh:

LOL, I entered 1974 and got to play a full sized piston/slide Bari for a few months until the last of the piston/rotor shipment came in. Never knew anything about Tenor Baris until I read the "History of DC" book and it drove me nuts wondering what that type of horn sounded like. Finally bought one from eBay just to hear it.... then I bought another to keep it company. :huh: Sometimes I just mess around on them just to see what can be done, gives me a real appreciation of those early arrangers.

"Single Valve Horns":

I "Entered Drum Corps" in 1958, and actually COMPETED using a "Single valve, no slide/rotor" 'Leedy-Ludwig' baritone bugle (As did so many others of "My Generation"). This old witches hat is off to the Caballeros Alumni for trotting out these old relices and featuring them in their programs!!! :huh:

Elphaba

Folks -- this is an EXCEPTIONAL event. It's a first-rate facility -- great surface, excellent concert-side stands with great sight lines.

Tom, you are right on the money. The venue is without a doubt one of the best I have ever seen for a regular-season drum corps show. I hope this becomes a yearly event on the DCA schedule for a long time to come.

And the show staffers we met were courteous and professional. One example..... by the time we got to the stadium, all the handicapped-parking spots were filled. But the show staff member in the parking lot helped us find a parking spot close to the stadium.... it definitely helped make life a bit easier for Barbara and me. Hats off to Dan McGrogan and the rest of the show staff for such a well-run event.

Great seating, good lighting, solid accoustics, good food. I had two of the Angus beef hot dogs... delicious. Yes, I did use up my sodium quota for the next two weeks, but what the heck. :huh:

OK..... we just got back online after "computer silence" since last Thursday, due to a fried AC adapter for our laptop. I hope to add some thoughts on the competition, once I get some thoughts together.

Fran