Chambersburg quick thoughts

no notes, didnt even write down the scores.

first off, great job hosting by the CASHS boosters and chairman Dan Mcgrogan. no complaints going from reserved seating to GA, tho the 2 hour wait from gate opening to show start was a tad long. with an 11 PM cut time, bumping it up a half hour would have been perfect.

great job by the Chambersburg brass ensemble, drumline and especially the steel drum band for pre show entertainment.

Shenandoah Sound.........hands down the best they have ever been. In the opener, loved the quick Shenandoah tag. didnt really fit the overall theme, but still cool. Snare drummer has chops, but during his solos, had a hard time hearing him. brass had some very nice moments, and the drill was written well for their size. One major concern was it seemed like the pit had many bodies standing there doing nothing for significant portions of time. Other major concern was the time between songs....felt way too long. Still, the Chicago music was handled relatively well, and the corps did a good job capturing the feels and moods. tag ending seemed forced...may have been stamina induced, unsure. visually, some individual errors that with time should go away and will help.

Carolina Gold.....decent sized brass, but way overpowered by percussion. drill seemed spread for their size. Enjoyed the guard a lot. percussion has a very aggressive book, and dialing down the dyanmics will not only help overll, but should also eliminate some big performance problems...trying to play too much too high. Early on, some of the "seasons" or times of year werent as easily identified with the music to the average fan, but I thought the Rutter part was well written. Some feet issues, especially in the battery. the line has some tough listening spreads and placements, but too much bumper cars and feet jumping to get in time. Halloween was my favorite section, and Xmas seemed to be hurting due to stamina. The corps has potential, but the horns need to get gas and the drumline needs to dial down...and they could make Class A fun.

White Sabers.....what a difference a year makes. The backdrops did help make the corps larger, and the show seemed more within the corps grasp. One visual concern....i love getting all the sops on the mellos for the 2nd ballad, but it takes too long to set up and the horns look tacky hanging on the legs. Another agressive battery with some performance issues...dialing down some will help, and having all the basses there should help too. This corps has a lot to be happy about tho, because this is the best they have been this early ever, and with continues cleaning, look out. A big area to clean is field visual...lots of individual things sticking out.

Bush.........I like this show. With 15-20 more brass, I'd love this show. very aggressive to start, with some ballsy ensemble statements musically, especially with the visual spreads due to the holes. The guard hits you from the get go, and IMO, is in another world from the rest of the corps. Smokin battery, especially snares ( go Ciz)....pit looked good, but did not project well. if bodies can be add there, look out. The vehicle is there, now they need the horses to deliver it, and knowing Bush, anything is possible.

Brigs....liked the reflexions idea. strong battery break starts off the show, tho some clarity issues. Brass had numbers, but given the fact they dont run a lot like others, the stamina seemed suspect. I'd expect more volume. Show flowed well, but there were some individual visual issues that need to be cleaned. Again, another nice show, and very out of character for recent Brigs. Loved the Stone ground 7 licks in the drum break wth all the body stuff. Seemed to be some side to side issues that need to be worked out

Bucs.....the spread was right, tho there are issues yet. my only 2 concerns...ending flags dont fit whats going on visually and musically. I get the idea of tying all the colors together at the end, but they dont seem bright enough, or the flags seem to small...maybe both. Also, the transition into the Canon reprise was very abrupt. That said...wow. tenor line is sick, as are the basses. snares have some issues, but potential is there. cymbals, usually a highlight, seemed subdued. brass had a very bottom sound, almost too bottom. With more time to clean, tighten and tweak, this show has the potential to rival 05. the oepning pit groove leading into Canon was perfectly done, complete with the 5's on the hi hat.

Cabs Alumni....always a treat, and Ponzo was his usual all star self, joined by Kurt and Steve (where was Duke)? Loved the Pictures of Spain opener, with the visual set up to tie to the music call and response. drumline executed well. Jimmy, up in the stands, is of course his own little show, and engaged the fans the whole time. Folks, these guys are the hardest working alumni corps out there, and have yet to ever dissapoint me.

Got to see a ton of friendly faces, but best of all, I got to talk to Barb Haring tonight...she even showed me what she can do with her legs now. No, not kick Fran, but this is on her to do list.

thanks also to the weather for holding off and keeping the lightning out by the mountains.

next up DCA wise....Reading. God it felt good to finally see drum corps

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shenandoah Sound.........hands down the best they have ever been. In the opener, loved the quick Shenandoah tag.

Hey, I just gotta add that Cecily was ADM for Shenandoah Sound ! Can you believe her?

When she first told me I laughed as I was so amazed...I thought she was joking! She keeps on going (I could never do a field show anymore-well,not without oxygen anyway). And that's no short commute either...she's one dedicated woman in my book !

Edited by boomboom

Shenandoah Sound.........hands down the best they have ever been. In the opener, loved the quick Shenandoah tag.

Hey, I just gotta add that Cecily was ADM for Shenandoah Sound ! Can you believe her?

When she first told me I laughed as I was so amazed...I thought she was joking! She keeps on going (I could never do a field show anymore-well,not without oxygen anyway). And that's no short commute either...she's one dedicated woman in my book !

You are correct about Cecily being amazing. I think she is also a consultant to the "Energizer Bunny" :laughing:

Ditto on great show...

When I heard general admission but the easy access rows would be held for the handicapped on an "honor system" I had my doubts. Guess the people in Franklin County are nicer than I thought as everyone in our area was either elderly, had a problem walking (two of our folks) or their family members.

Shen Sound: Great to see them back... Getting to talk to Cecily after their show was a treat, "They want me do retreat?". :thumbup:

Carolina Gold: Saw most of the show from the side (bathroom call) but sounded better than I expected from being off a year and with a lot of rookies. Got the lowdown on the rookie status when I talked to two members at Dundalk over 4th of July.

Others had great shows but really good to see CG and SS on the field.

Kuddos to the student entertainment, especially visuals on the steel drum sets. Two hours went by faster than expected.

Top highlight was driving to the stadium to remember where it was and getting to talk to Barb and Fran. Went to make a U-turn in the parking lot and they were 3 feet away. :ph34r: First time I've talked to Barb in a long time and it just felt good....

Cabs Alumni: FINALLY got close enough to check out the single valve horn wrork in "Hill Where the Lord Hides". Five Tenor Baris and seven Frenchies, being an old horn nut it was great to be able to pick out the individual parts for these horns. :smile:

Overall :laughing: for the only regular season show I'll see in 2008.

PS (just remembered): Thought one of the corps (Bush?) had a guard member go two steps over the front sideline twice during the show. Chief judge (some guy named Hershman :ph34r:) was in the back at the time and was not in position to see it.

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

Cecily the 50/50 woman?

yes, and that's another reason why I was so shocked...I was walking by her in parking lot and said hey Cecily where are the 50/50 tix?

And she said that they were in her car and wouldnt have time to sell them as she was going on as ADM with Shenandoah ! A drum corps needed her help and there she was !

Fran and Barb, it was WONDERFUL walking in with you last night. So GOOD to see both of you !

Edited by boomboom

yes, and that's another reason why I was so shocked...I was walking by her in parking lot and said hey Cecily where are the 50/50 tix?

And she said that they were in her car and wouldnt have time to sell them as she was going on as ADM with Shenandoah ! A drum corps needed her help and there she was !

Fran and Barb, it was WONDERFUL walking in with you last night. So GOOD to see both of you !

I wouldn't be surprised if she turned around at the end of their performance and pulled out a roll of tickets from her pocket and yelled out 50/50 anyone? LOL Afterall everyone would see her then.

GO CECILY!

(certified winner of one of her big takes $256 at an indoor chapter's show) :laughing:

Cabs Alumni....always a treat, and Ponzo was his usual all star self, joined by Kurt and Steve (where was Duke)? Loved the Pictures of Spain opener, with the visual set up to tie to the music call and response. drumline executed well. Jimmy, up in the stands, is of course his own little show, and engaged the fans the whole time. Folks, these guys are the hardest working alumni corps out there, and have yet to ever dissapoint me.

Thanks Jeff for the kind words.

We enjoy playing for the crowds..

Yes, We work hard, but the results are worth it. Watching the crowds come to their feet is priceless.

It will all come together in Rochester..

See you there

Rump :laughing::thumbup::ph34r:

Ditto on great show...

Cabs Alumni: FINALLY got close enough to check out the single valve horn wrork in "Hill Where the Lord Hides". Five Tenor Baris and seven Frenchies, being an old horn nut it was great to be able to pick out the individual parts for these horns. :laughing:

Well...it's been a real trip playing on those horns. I entered the drum corps arena in 1988 during the 2 valve Bugle era and never thought I'd have to play on one of these horns. Shows you that anything IS possible in drum corps!

For a note these GD bugles are single valve. NO rotor. Glad you enjoyed it as we enjoy performing it for all of our many fans.

Well...it's been a real trip playing on those horns. I entered the drum corps arena in 1988 during the 2 valve Bugle era and never thought I'd have to play on one of these horns. Shows you that anything IS possible in drum corps!

For a note these GD bugles are single valve. NO rotor. Glad you enjoyed it as we enjoy performing it for all of our many fans.

Single valve and I'm guessing NO slide either. :thumbup:

LOL, I entered 1974 and got to play a full sized piston/slide Bari for a few months until the last of the piston/rotor shipment came in. Never knew anything about Tenor Baris until I read the "History of DC" book and it drove me nuts wondering what that type of horn sounded like. Finally bought one from eBay just to hear it.... then I bought another to keep it company. :laughing: Sometimes I just mess around on them just to see what can be done, gives me a real appreciation of those early arrangers.